Grand-San Francisco/Napa question

suekel

I'm looking at ideas for a Napa tour the day that we land in San Francisco. First, we don't land until 12:30 and I read that the vineyards close at 4:30. Is there enough time for me to hire one of the tour services to pick us up at SFO, get to Napa and have the chance to stop at 3 or 4 vineyards? It will be in January and I don't know what time it gets dark out there. Or would I be better off planning it for the next day when we have all day? We only have a day and a half and we also want to go to Alcatraz.

Thanks!

OMG, no, the traffic! [emoji79][emoji79][emoji79]Definitely the next day [emoji2][emoji254]🥂

Also, it could be awful and rainy. Never know what we will get out here in January.

Agreed do it the next day, it will get dark much to early and they do close early also.

As for Alcatraz, buy your tickets far in advance as they sell out early. If they are doing the night tour when you are there do it. But dress warm even if during the day.

I agree with the others, the next day is the best way to go. Even if you were to get to Napa without much traffic (unlikely) you wouldn't have much time to enjoy multiple wineries before 4 pm. That being said, if you have no other time to go (e.g. other plans dictate that you go to Napa the night you arrive) there are some ways to still enjoy the trip:

- Most of the wineries in downtown Napa and Downtown Yountville stay open later. You don't get the full vineyard experience, but they do offer good wines in a nice environment

- Some examples in Napa are Vintner's Collective (open until 7:00), Mark Herold (open until 6:00), St Clair Brown (open until 8). Some are open even later Vermeil Wines (open until 10 with full NFL Decor) and JaM (open until 10)

- In Yountville: Jessup, Handwritten Wines, Silver Trident and Cornerstone are all open until 6. Girard Winery and Priest Ranch are open until 7. You could combine one or two of these with a great dinner in one of the best (if not the best) dining destinations in the world.

- There are a couple of wineries outside of Napa and Yountville that stay open later. My go to in this case is Alpha Omega, which is open until 6.

Hope this helps!