Need suggestions for 2 nights before cruise out of Long Beach

lucy2mb

Actually not a great location...just a generic freeway offramp off the 405...industrial area...nowhere near the beach. I had to check twice to imagine that it's actually got a Redondo Beach address. There's not much within walking distance at all...unless you count crossing under the freeway to the In and Out Burger...

This will be my last question for the night because it is getting late. Are you familiar with the Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Downy? I found some good rates there. Just wondering if it would be a good location and what is around the area. Thanks for your help!

Best Western Hotels are individual franchises, but they must adhere to certain standards or they can't be a Best Western. I've always found them to be clean and comfortable. Now, as for the surrounding neighborhood, that may be a different story.

The only time that you will want to be on Southern California freeways is between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. or after 8:00 p.m. That's how bad the commute traffic is, and weekends aren't much better. Even the 405, with six lanes in each direction, is stop-and-go during busy periods. You may want to factor that into your plans.

Best Western Hotels are individual franchises, but they must adhere to certain standards or they can't be a Best Western. I've always found them to be clean and comfortable. Now, as for the surrounding neighborhood, that may be a different story.

The only time that you will want to be on Southern California freeways is between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. or after 8:00 p.m. That's how bad the commute traffic is, and weekends aren't much better. Even the 405, with six lanes in each direction, is stop-and-go during busy periods. You may want to factor that into your plans.

Thanks for the info! Someone suggested a Best Western that was in a good area. I would have booked it but the rooms were double beds and we want queen size. I see the Embassy Suites has good reviews in Downy. I am not sure if it is in a good location or not. I do know it is a lot further from the port than the Homewood Suites Hilton Long Beach airport that we have booked right now--with free cancellation if I find something closer to Long Beach port area. I just don't know if I want to switch to the Embassy Suites closer to LAX or not. Reviews of Embassy Suites were not as good as the Homewood Suites at the airport. Both include free breakfast.

This will be my last question for the night because it is getting late. Are you familiar with the Embassy Suites by Hilton Los Angeles Downy? I found some good rates there. Just wondering if it would be a good location and what is around the area. Thanks for your help!

Now you are just looking way too far afield...

Nothing particularly wrong with Downey...it is "okay"--not great, just okay...it's just not really convenient for anything you may want to do. It is very far from LAX, very far from the cruise port and very far from any sightseeing you may want to do...

However much I dislike LAX, you'd be much better off there...at least you wouldn't have a long and expensive trip from the airport...and your shuttle or Uber to the port would be reasonable...and, at least you could Uber to a decent restaurant and maybe find a tour company that would pick you up there if you wanted to do a tour. Even that Redondo Beach 405 freeway offramp would be better than going to Downey...at least it is between LAX and the port...

I guess what you are finding is that decent hotels in decent locations in the LA area are not cheap...

If you are still searching...here are some other suggestions:

Look at the area immediately surrounding the Del Amo mall in Torrance...there are shopping and restaurants nearby and it's midway between LAX and the port--though not convenient to sightseeing...

Hotels in Santa Monica can be pricey (but the location cannot be beat)...Marina Del Rey is a very good alternative and closer to LAX--though it sounds it may also be outside your price window...Maybe to get inside your budget, take a look at El Segundo--just south of LAX...or the area of Culver City just south of the Westfield Mall--where Sepulveda Blvd. crosses under the 405--just north of LAX...You may find a less expensive alternative in those areas--short ride to LAX and you might find tours to pick you up--or catch an Uber to Venice or Santa Monica to catch the HOHO bus tour...

Now you are just looking way too far afield...

Nothing particularly wrong with Downey...it is "okay"--not great, just okay...it's just not really convenient for anything you may want to do. It is very far from LAX, very far from the cruise port and very far from any sightseeing you may want to do...

However much I dislike LAX, you'd be much better off there...at least you wouldn't have a long and expensive trip from the airport...and your shuttle or Uber to the port would be reasonable...and, at least you could Uber to a decent restaurant and maybe find a tour company that would pick you up there if you wanted to do a tour. Even that Redondo Beach 405 freeway offramp would be better than going to Downey...at least it is between LAX and the port...

I guess what you are finding is that decent hotels in decent locations in the LA area are not cheap...

If you are still searching...here are some other suggestions:

Look at the area immediately surrounding the Del Amo mall in Torrance...there are shopping and restaurants nearby and it's midway between LAX and the port--though not convenient to sightseeing...

Hotels in Santa Monica can be pricey (but the location cannot be beat)...Marina Del Rey is a very good alternative and closer to LAX--though it sounds it may also be outside your price window...Maybe to get inside your budget, take a look at El Segundo--just south of LAX...or the area of Culver City just south of the Westfield Mall--where Sepulveda Blvd. crosses under the 405--just north of LAX...You may find a less expensive alternative in those areas--short ride to LAX and you might find tours to pick you up--or catch an Uber to Venice or Santa Monica to catch the HOHO bus tour...

I am glad you are checking cruise critic today. You will probably think I can't make up my mind. lol.

I just went back and looked at the Best Western at the Convention Center that you had told me about. I had ruled it out because of double beds but I have changed my mind I think. I am not looking at anything else if I book this because to get the best rates, I will have to book non-refundable. In your opinion, would you keep the newer Homewood Suites Hilton Long Beach Airport for 6 adults in a one bedroom suite with 2 queen and one sofa bed and one bath (we have stayed in those rooms before) or would you choose the Best Western Convention Center Long Beach and get 2 rooms with 2 double beds in each and we would have 2 bathrooms? Both have free breakfast but the Best Western will cost us $200 more than we are paying at Homewood Long Beach Airport. One family member wants to rent ocean Ocean Suite Condo that is 8 minute walk to beach and there is ocean view. It is almost the same distance to the attractions as the Best Western but it is $220 more without breakfast. Our last option is staying where we are and saving $200 and using that money to go to a big attraction like Disneyland which looks like is 20 minutes from our hotel. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for your help!!!

Edited by lucy2mb

I am glad you are checking cruise critic today. You will probably think I can't make up my mind. lol.

I just went back and looked at the Best Western at the Convention Center that you had told me about. I had ruled it out because of double beds but I have changed my mind I think. I am not looking at anything else if I book this because to get the best rates, I will have to book non-refundable. In your opinion, would you keep the newer Homewood Suites Hilton Long Beach Airport for 6 adults in a one bedroom suite with 2 queen and one sofa bed and one bath (we have stayed in those rooms before) or would you choose the Best Western Convention Center Long Beach and get 2 rooms with 2 double beds in each and we would have 2 bathrooms? Both have free breakfast but the Best Western will cost us $200 more than we are paying at Homewood Long Beach Airport. One family member wants to rent ocean Ocean Suite Condo that is 8 minute walk to beach and there is ocean view. It is almost the same distance to the attractions as the Best Western but it is $220 more without breakfast. Our last option is staying where we are and saving $200 and using that money to go to a big attraction like Disneyland which looks like is 20 minutes from our hotel. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for your help!!!

First, $200 won't get your family to Disneyland...maybe just one of you...Disneyland admission just went up to $135 per person on a "peak" day...Add in a burger, fries and a coke...and a souvenir mouse ears...and you're up to about that $200!

We all choose hotels for different reasons. When I choose hotels, I look carefully at location and convenience. You don't really have a lot of time in the area, so you need to ask yourself how you are going to spend your time. If it's going to Disneyland, it probably doesn't matter that much where you stay...or what you spend--because your bill for the park is going to dwarf that...

If you want to head all the way back up to LA for the typical tourist sightseeing, it matters little where you stay--you are going to have a busy day getting back and forth (Though you could book a tour with Sunseeker tours and they are likely to ppick you up at any Long Beach area hotel)...

But, if you are just going to hang around in Long Beach...maybe tour the Queen Mary and visit the Aquarium...and have a couple of nice dinners at a large choice of restaurants...and take some nice walks around...then I would stay in the Convention Center area. Your logistics would be simple. You could get to the Queen Mary using the free Passport shuttle...use that or even walk to get to the Aquarium and to Seaport Village...You would have a wide choice of restaurants--most casual, reasonable and family-appropriate in close walking distance...and, on embarkation morning, you would be very close to the pier...

If you stay by LGB, you would likely be dealing with logistics to get anywhere...You'd be in the middle of a very industrial area--Your walkable eateries would be Habit burgers, Jersey Mike's and Starbucks...or a few other fast foods within walking distance--like Jack in the Box and Pizza Hut...

So, only you can make that value judgment--Is the convenience and atmosphere worth $200 to you? BTW, did you check out the Maya Doubletree asking for the Carnival rate?

First, $200 won't get your family to Disneyland...maybe just one of you...Disneyland admission just went up to $135 per person on a "peak" day...Add in a burger, fries and a coke...and a souvenir mouse ears...and you're up to about that $200!

We all choose hotels for different reasons. When I choose hotels, I look carefully at location and convenience. You don't really have a lot of time in the area, so you need to ask yourself how you are going to spend your time. If it's going to Disneyland, it probably doesn't matter that much where you stay...or what you spend--because your bill for the park is going to dwarf that...

If you want to head all the way back up to LA for the typical tourist sightseeing, it matters little where you stay--you are going to have a busy day getting back and forth (Though you could book a tour with Sunseeker tours and they are likely to ppick you up at any Long Beach area hotel)...

But, if you are just going to hang around in Long Beach...maybe tour the Queen Mary and visit the Aquarium...and have a couple of nice dinners at a large choice of restaurants...and take some nice walks around...then I would stay in the Convention Center area. Your logistics would be simple. You could get to the Queen Mary using the free Passport shuttle...use that or even walk to get to the Aquarium and to Seaport Village...You would have a wide choice of restaurants--most casual, reasonable and family-appropriate in close walking distance...and, on embarkation morning, you would be very close to the pier...

If you stay by LGB, you would likely be dealing with logistics to get anywhere...You'd be in the middle of a very industrial area--Your walkable eateries would be Habit burgers, Jersey Mike's and Starbucks...or a few other fast foods within walking distance--like Jack in the Box and Pizza Hut...

So, only you can make that value judgment--Is the convenience and atmosphere worth $200 to you? BTW, did you check out the Maya Doubletree asking for the Carnival rate?

Yes, I did check out the Maya Doubletree but with Hilton Reward rates which has gotten me the lowest rates in past, it would be $600 more than the Best Western Convention Center but it did have queen beds. The Ocean Suite Apartment that I mentioned is on East Ocean Blvd Long Beach and is about same distance to Queen Mary as Best Western. It is 1.0 miles and Best Western is 1.1 miles. The Ocean Suite you can book on different sites like American Airlines and has 3 queens and 2 bedrooms and I am not sure how many baths-1 or 2. Like I said, it did say ocean view and 8 minute walk. It had a good rating also but only had 5 reviews. It is about same price as Best Western, just no breakfast. Which would you choose-Best Western or Ocean Suite Apartment? By the way, I did know the price of Disneyland but did decide not to do that. We have been to Disney World a couple of times with our children when they were younger and I doubt they would want to go to Disneyland.

Yes, I did check out the Maya Doubletree but with Hilton Reward rates which has gotten me the lowest rates in past, it would be $600 more than the Best Western Convention Center but it did have queen beds. The Ocean Suite Apartment that I mentioned is on East Ocean Blvd Long Beach and is about same distance to Queen Mary as Best Western. It is 1.0 miles and Best Western is 1.1 miles. The Ocean Suite you can book on different sites like American Airlines and has 3 queens and 2 bedrooms and I am not sure how many baths-1 or 2. Like I said, it did say ocean view and 8 minute walk. It had a good rating also but only had 5 reviews. It is about same price as Best Western, just no breakfast. Which would you choose-Best Western or Ocean Suite Apartment? By the way, I did know the price of Disneyland but did decide not to do that. We have been to Disney World a couple of times with our children when they were younger and I doubt they would want to go to Disneyland.

I can't tell exactly from that description...but there are some awfully nice high-rise condo buildings along Ocean Blvd...And, if it's the same distance from things as the Best Western, it would actually have some advantages...It's a nice location and you can't beat that view. Those hotel breakfasts aren't worth that much...You could always drop by the Vons Market at Broadway and Atlantic and stock up on enough OJ, Donuts, Croissants, fruit and coffee to top that Hotel breakfast...cheaply enough...If price is the same, I might opt for that over the BW...The BW is nothing special...

I can't tell exactly from that description...but there are some awfully nice high-rise condo buildings along Ocean Blvd...And, if it's the same distance from things as the Best Western, it would actually have some advantages...It's a nice location and you can't beat that view. Those hotel breakfasts aren't worth that much...You could always drop by the Vons Market at Broadway and Atlantic and stock up on enough OJ, Donuts, Croissants, fruit and coffee to top that Hotel breakfast...cheaply enough...If price is the same, I might opt for that over the BW...The BW is nothing special...

Well, the price was going to be $30 more at the Ocean Suite but when I looked at the Best Western rate tonight, it has gone up from what it was earlier this afternoon. Now it is almost the same as Ocean Suite. I will talk to my husband when he gets home later tonight and we may decide to book the Ocean Suite. I just wish I knew if it had two bathrooms or not. It says it has 2 bedrooms with one having 2 Queen beds and one bedroom having one Queen. The Living Room has 2 sofa beds which we would not need. It doesn't say anything about number of bathrooms. I will book one of them tomorrow and it will probably be the Ocean Suite but I really do want 2 bathrooms now. Thank you so much for your help. I am glad I found out the airport hotel was not a good location to stay. Now we won't have to worry about a taxi or Uber to get to Long Beach from the hotel. We will just walk every where in Long Beach. I never have trouble finding a hotel going out of Florida because I am more familiar with areas we cruise out of. Even going out of Seattle for our Alaskan cruise was easy. After I book one of these, I won't change because of them both being non-refundable. Thanks again for your help and everyone else who gave me information.