London transportation from ship to Heathrow

alainciao

We are disembarking on July 14th in London and going to the airport. Not using Viking transfer. (we are renting a car at the airport and Viking will not put us on the transfer without a flight) When you disembark in London are there taxis and, also, if I want to make a reservation with a taxi service what do I put as the pickup point? Thanks in advance!

when we've departed a Viking River and setting off on our own I've just asked them to call me a taxi to be available at the time I wanted and it was no problem .....

or ... is the ship using Greenwich? There's an underground station 'right there' and this can take you to Heathrow ..... probably a lot less $

No tube at Greenwich Pier. You could get DLR (docklands light railway ) to Canary Wharf, change to tube on the Jubilee line then change again onto the Picadilly line. I would think something of a nightmare journey with luggage. Easiest would be to pre book a taxi or vocal an Uber.

The DLR has to go underground from Island Gardens to Cutty Sark since it goes under the River Thames ! We do have a 'proper' underground station but that would need a taxi or bus.

I have a home in Greenwich so I often use this great service but nevertheless I would not recommend this journey to Heathrow with luggage.

By the way Greenwich is wonderful, a World Heritage Site, and should not be missed.

Thanks for the inputs! No tube with luggage so will be taxi. Mrs Miggins, if I pre book a taxi the Greenwich pier works for pickup? I would think there would normally be taxis standing by for hire when the ship disembarks but have not heard this.

Thanks for the inputs! No tube with luggage so will be taxi. Mrs Miggins, if I pre book a taxi the Greenwich pier works for pickup? I would think there would normally be taxis standing by for hire when the ship disembarks but have not heard this.

Agreed, especially trying to navigate the narrow steep escalators. We use a company called minicabit. You will get quotes from a few car services and you select price and car type. They email you pickup location or meet you at luggage collection. You might get more texts then necessary from the driver on pick up day but that's OK. The prices change daily until you book so you might want to visit the website early and often.

The DLR has to go underground from Island Gardens to Cutty Sark since it goes under the River Thames ! We do have a 'proper' underground station but that would need a taxi or bus.

I have a home in Greenwich so I often use this great service but nevertheless I would not recommend this journey to Heathrow with luggage.

By the way Greenwich is wonderful, a World Heritage Site, and should not be missed.

Off topic (sorry) but thank you for the Greenwich recommendation! we are going the British Isles Explorer this summer and having spent a fair amount of time in London in the past we had planned to stay in Greenwich which is likely to be the included tour ... glad to hear that our time will be well spent! :)

I would look on Google Maps for Greenwich Pier. You will then see that there isn't a public road right there. You will have to walk past The Cutty Sark (An Old Tea Clipper in a landlocked dock) to Greenwich Church Street. There is a taxi stand right next to the Cutty Sark DLR station but often only one or two London Cabs. I think you should prebook, probably with a local Greenwich Taxi Company, and you can then liaise your actual pick up point. Cruise ships do come into Greenwich but only perhaps 3 or 4 a year so this location is unlike a regular cruise port. I think Google is your friend ! It should cost approximately £60 I would think. Good luck!

This is who we used in London: http://www.chepstowcars.com/

We rented an apt thru VRBO and he recommended them. They were waiting for us at Heathrow with our name on a sign (even though our flight was well over an hour late, they tracked it), drove us to the apt, helped carry the luggage in, and then the same driver picked us up 4 days later at 5 AM to take us to Heathrow for our flight to Budapest for our river cruise. There were 4 of us and we split the cost.