Light switch in cabin - all lights? Viking Star

zitsky

I saw an old review that said there is only one switch in the cabin to turn off all the lights. Is this correct? I thought there were lamps on either side of the bed. On our river cruise you could turn off some lights but leave some on.

I don't have a mind that focuses on minutiae like this but I do know that my husband falls asleep the minute his head hits the pillow and I prefer to read for a bit. I have never have had to get out of bed on any Viking Oceans cruise we've been on to turn out the bedside lights. So to answer your question, yes, there are bedside lamps, and no, there's more than one switch in the cabin with which to operate the lights.

There's a master switch by the door that you put your room key (or anything that's the right thickness and opacity to block/engage the light sensor inside) into. Everything except the power outlet on the desk lamp is controlled by that switch. By each side of the bed there is a big push switch that turns on the main room light and a smaller narrower push switch that turns on the "night lights" : in the bathroom inside the towel and toiletries shelf and towards the floor outside the bathroom. Also just above each side of the bed is a little inset reading light you push in to turn on and can rotate a little to adjust where it shines. All reachable from the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw an old review that said there is only one switch in the cabin to turn off all the lights. Is this correct? I thought there were lamps on either side of the bed. On our river cruise you could turn off some lights but leave some on.

River cruise ships esp if in Europe have a master power switch. Required by the EU. Was the case when we were on the Viking Atla in 2014.

Thanks. I know about that master switch with the keycard. Appreciate the info. It may seem insignificant. It's all about being comfortable.

I found my Viking Explorer club card did wonderful duty as the master light switch keeper. But we did remove it whenever we left the room and put it on the coffee tray. It made it possible for each of us to keep our keys on our person and not have to do the quickie card swap if one of us left the room.

We leave a card in the switch so that all of the electronics continue to charge while we are out of the room. I am also not sure what happens to hvac when card is removed. Our friends have a touch pad switch that Viking is testing so going forward on the Orion or Jupiter it may be different.

We leave a card in the switch so that all of the electronics continue to charge while we are out of the room. I am also not sure what happens to hvac when card is removed. Our friends have a touch pad switch that Viking is testing so going forward on the Orion or Jupiter it may be different.

The lamp on the desk by the veranda door is always on as is the power outlet on the wall behind it. So you can leave things on there to charge while you're out and the master switch is off. Do need a plug converter to use it (I have a box of 4). Ensures you don't run the risk of losing your "cheater card" to a steward dilligently following the rules that they are to confiscate cheater cards. I suspect few enforce that rule but why risk it? Especially with the always on outlet by the outside door?