Pier 91 transportation to Downtown

cew2

I was wondering the best transportation to use from Pier 91 coming in Friday June 24 to Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square 612 2nd street. This is the last part of transportation we need to plan and I am having a hard time to figure out the best way. There are 8 of us in the party. Thank you ahead of time for any help.

For eight with cruise luggage, I would get an UberX and UberXL. About $15 for the X that will seat three with luggage and about $20 for the XL that will seat five. You will need two people with smartphones to request two vehicles. If you haven't used Uber before, there are promo codes for free rides available - ask anyone who has used it for theirs, and you'll both get $20 in free rides.

I was wondering the best transportation to use from Pier 91 coming in Friday June 24 to Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square 612 2nd street. This is the last part of transportation we need to plan and I am having a hard time to figure out the best way. There are 8 of us in the party. Thank you ahead of time for any help.

Here are the uber rates from SeaTac to the downtown area. I just obtained this info today so it should be current.

Fare estimates:

POOL uberX UberBLACK

Downtown <-> Airport $19 $25 $55

Tom

it's only a 5 mile ride.....

A private passenger van thru a car service will run about $150. The min chg is 2 hrs.

Shuttle Express and Seattle Express will have all their vans busy for the pier to airport run.

Yellow Cab will be about $20 per cab.

The flat rate cab company will be about $10 per car for a prius, minivans will probably be 15 per car. http://www.flatrateforhire.com

Edited by mapleleaves

My reply is probably of no help but I'll offer it anyway.... I recently finished a cruise to/from SEA Pier 91. Getting TO the port was easy. Getting OUT of the port was a nightmare. (Note: there were two cruise ships at the port on our day of arrival. Hopefully, on your day, yours is the only ship.)

In your case (with 8 people) I would seriously consider contacting a limo service. Two taxis or Ubers might be a bit cheaper ... but more complicated. Do the limo thing ... provided the limo can handle 8 passengers and all their luggage. WARNING: do not be in a rush to get out of Pier 91. It's a nightmare!

I typed a long reply to your inquiry ... then re-read your post. Wondering ... if you can get 8 people TO the port, why can't you get them OUT?

I just concluded a cruise from Pier 91. Getting out was a nightmare (albeit there were two ships arriving/departing on same day). Given your circumstances (8 people) I'd suggest arranging a limo service (provided the limo can handle 8 people and all your luggage). Otherwise, use two taxis.

Either way, especially if there are two ships in port at the same time, be prepared to be patient! Relax and enjoy your cruise.

I typed a long reply to your inquiry ... then re-read your post. Wondering ... if you can get 8 people TO the port, why can't you get them OUT?

I just concluded a cruise from Pier 91. Getting out was a nightmare (albeit there were two ships arriving/departing on same day). Given your circumstances (8 people) I'd suggest arranging a limo service (provided the limo can handle 8 people and all your luggage). Otherwise, use two taxis.

Either way, especially if there are two ships in port at the same time, be prepared to be patient! Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for your advice. We are staying at a different hotel the night before our cruise leaves and that hotel provides shuttle service to the port. When we come back the hotel we are staying at does not provide service so I was trying to find the best and most economical way there. We are in no rush to get off the ship so I will take your advice and take our time.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your advice. We are staying at a different hotel the night before our cruise leaves and that hotel provides shuttle service to the port. When we come back the hotel we are staying at does not provide service so I was trying to find the best and most economical way there. We are in no rush to get off the ship so I will take your advice and take our time.

May I ask what hotel offers the shuttle service to the port?

Is there a charge?

Any options for downtown Seattle to Pier 91 that isn't Uber? Not fond of their service.

These are probably the two least expensive ways to get from downtown to Pier 91. I believe Shuttle Express is $17/person and Seattle Express is $12 but am not sure about that. Check the website for current info.

Shuttle Express Info:

http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Phone: (425) 981-7000 or (888) 787-8598

Email: sales@shuttleexpress.net

Seattle Express Info: http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html

Phone: (206) 793-8430

EMAIL: mattseattleexpress@yahoo.com

Tom

May I ask what hotel offers the shuttle service to the port?

Is there a charge?

From a downtown hotel, cab fare to pier 91 is about $20. Maybe $5 less to pier 66. Cheaper than a shuttle which is pp.

Uber is cheaper still if you have a smart phone.

These are probably the two least expensive ways to get from downtown to Pier 91. I believe Shuttle Express is $17/person and Seattle Express is $12 but am not sure about that. Check the website for current info.

Shuttle Express Info:

http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Phone: (425) 981-7000 or (888) 787-8598

Email: sales@shuttleexpress.net

Seattle Express Info: http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html

Phone: (206) 793-8430

EMAIL: mattseattleexpress@yahoo.com

Tom

Seattle Express only picks up at airport area hotels. $15pp

Shuttle Express only picks up at specific downtown hotels. $12pp

Uber and flatrate for hire are the cheapest options.

Even a regular cab is only about $20 to pier 91 from downtown.

Seattle Express only picks up at airport area hotels. $15pp

Shuttle Express only picks up at specific downtown hotels. $12pp

Uber and flatrate for hire are the cheapest options.

Even a regular cab is only about $20 to pier 91 from downtown.

Thanks, mapleaves, I've updated my info.

Tom

I’ll add a few more comments in the event they are helpful to anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future….

During my flight to SEA the handle on my suitcase had been bent rendering it unrollable.

At the RCI “desk” at SEA (tiny little thing almost hidden from view) I learned that for a fee of $5.00 they would transport my broken suitcase to the ship. Bingo! That allowed me to continue my original plan of doing a little exploring of Seattle on my own.

I took the Light Rail* from the airport to downtown Seattle ($3.00), looked around downtown for a bit (nothing to see), then took an Uber to Pier 91 ($12.14 + tip). (Taxis and Ubers are plentiful.)

Upon disembarkation I originally planned to get to the airport using Uber/Light Rail. But with a broken bag I opted to purchase bus transfer on the ship ($25.00). Oddly, no one ever asked to see my transfer proof-of-purchase / receipt.

Taxis. The taxi line was as long as was the line for the shuttle busses. So don’t, necessarily, think you will save time taking a taxi over a shuttle. Too, I thought Seattle’s taxis are metered but at the port I saw a sign indicating ‘taxis to the airport $40.’ I still don’t know if taxi fares are based on the meter or a flat fee.

*Light Rail. The Light Rail station at SEATAC is at the far end of the parking structure (a bit of a hike). The downtown Seattle stations are two stories underground. I do NOT recommend doing the Light Rail route if schlepping around a lot of luggage!

<<...Upon disembarkation I originally planned to get to the airport using Uber/Light Rail. But with a broken bag I opted to purchase bus transfer on the ship ($25.00). Oddly, no one ever asked to see my transfer proof-of-purchase / receipt...>>

Can we ask to see the receipt? Yes. Do we? Not very often. We tend to trust people at the pier.

<<...Taxis. The taxi line was as long as was the line for the shuttle busses. So don’t, necessarily, think you will save time taking a taxi over a shuttle. Too, I thought Seattle’s taxis are metered but at the port I saw a sign indicating ‘taxis to the airport $40.’ I still don’t know if taxi fares are based on the meter or a flat fee...>>

That sign has been reported to CTA (Cruise Terminals of America) as being misleading but so far nothing has been done on it. Supposedly, it is flat rate from the pier to SeaTac, but I've heard otherwise also. I would recommend questioning the driver before you leave the pier to find out what he/she says. If the driver says otherwise than what the sign says and you have the time to spend, I would then ask one of the people directing taxis about the actual cost. The "lead man" of the taxi line is a fairly short, grey-haired gentleman and he should be able to clear the matter up. I was not aware that the sign was still up.

Tom

Normally, unless all the available taxis have been taken and/or there is a long line of people who are waiting for taxis, the taxis are quicker than the large 50+ pax shuttle buses for the simple reason that it's quicker to 3-4 people into a number of different taxis at the same, or almost the same, time than it is to load 50 people onto a bus.

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

<<...Upon disembarkation I originally planned to get to the airport using Uber/Light Rail. But with a broken bag I opted to purchase bus transfer on the ship ($25.00). Oddly, no one ever asked to see my transfer proof-of-purchase / receipt...>>

Can we ask to see the receipt? Yes. Do we? Not very often. We tend to trust people at the pier.

<<...Taxis. The taxi line was as long as was the line for the shuttle busses. So don’t, necessarily, think you will save time taking a taxi over a shuttle. Too, I thought Seattle’s taxis are metered but at the port I saw a sign indicating ‘taxis to the airport $40.’ I still don’t know if taxi fares are based on the meter or a flat fee...>>

That sign has been reported to CTA (Cruise Terminals of America) as being misleading but so far nothing has been done on it. Supposedly, it is flat rate from the pier to SeaTac, but I've heard otherwise also. I would recommend questioning the driver before you leave the pier to find out what he/she says. If the driver says otherwise than what the sign says and you have the time to spend, I would then ask one of the people directing taxis about the actual cost. The "lead man" of the taxi line is a fairly short, grey-haired gentleman and he should be able to clear the matter up. I was not aware that the sign was still up.

Tom

Normally, unless all the available taxis have been taken and/or there is a long line of people who are waiting for taxis, the taxis are quicker than the large 50+ pax shuttle buses for the simple reason that it's quicker to 3-4 people into a number of different taxis at the same, or almost the same, time than it is to load 50 people onto a bus.

Thanks for your input Tom. I'm curious ... who are you? Do you work for RCI? City of Seattle? Port authority?

<<...Thanks for your input Tom. I'm curious ... who are you? Do you work for RCI? City of Seattle? Port authority?...>>

No. No. No. :D

Okay, the real answer is I work for Metro, the company that now handles passenger services for Holland-America, Princess, and Carnival at Pier 91.

Tom

• 1 year later...
Any updates to this information? Cruising from Pier 91 leaving 28 Aug 18 and returning 5 Sep 18 for downtown hotel. Thank you!

Uber or Lyft (or taxi) is going to be your best bet...it isn't walkable but it is only a couple of miles away.

Edited by fastpitchdad

I plan on using the Seattle Pier Luggage transfer service and spending the day in Seattle before an evening flight. Plan on visiting Seattle Center and possibly Pike Place Market. What is my best transportation option from the Pier to get to Seattle Center?