High winds predicted at every port for upcoming cruise

Cece09

I posted a similar question yesterday.. about one port , but upon checking the weather it looks as though every port we are visiting is going to be in the 20 mph wind range.

It is the Carnival Dream leaving out March 25.

Supposed to be visiting cozumel, Roatan , Belize.

Has anyone ever been on a cruise where ALL ports are missed? What is the likelihood they will try and take us to other ports or will they just skip them altogether?

I’ve missed one port on three cruises I’ve been on , but never more than that and our last cruise we made all three ports.

I know it’s beyond our control , but I’m genuinely just curious if anyone has had experience with those

Thanks in advance!

Take a deep breath and relax. As Keith said, the biggest risk of canceled ports are tender ports since moderate waves or swells can make tendering too dangerous. But even a 20 knot wind does not always stop tendering, depending on the port and amount of shelter from wind and bad sea conditions.

As to docking, 20 knot winds are not often a problem although it can certainly result in the Captain and Harbor Pilot having to truly earn their salary :). But also understand that a 20 knot wind at noon, might be a 5 knot wind early in the morning. We live (during the winter) in a cruise port (Puerto Vallarta) where we have had quite a few unusually windy days (wind gusting over 20 knots). Yet, there has not been a single ship that has missed the port because of the winds or the seas.

Hank

Take a deep breath and relax. As Keith said, the biggest risk of canceled ports are tender ports since moderate waves or swells can make tendering too dangerous. But even a 20 knot wind does not always stop tendering, depending on the port and amount of shelter from wind and bad sea conditions.

As to docking, 20 knot winds are not often a problem although it can certainly result in the Captain and Harbor Pilot having to truly earn their salary :). But also understand that a 20 knot wind at noon, might be a 5 knot wind early in the morning. We live (during the winter) in a cruise port (Puerto Vallarta) where we have had quite a few unusually windy days (wind gusting over 20 knots). Yet, there has not been a single ship that has missed the port because of the winds or the seas.

Hank

Thank you for your input! That helps 😀

I just want to emphasize that it is very rare not to be able to dock even with winds. We have been on 100+ cruises and I would say one time we could not.

The challenge with high winds is if you are not docked and tenders are being used. On occasion we have missed a port or two but often they are replaced with other ports.

And please remember that a 10 day forecast is more often wrong then right.

Have a great cruise.

Keith

I recall a time, though, that we had to cancel a stop in Key West because of high winds. The winds out in the open ocean were around 55 m.p.h. (so the captain said). He said that, although there was a chance that we could get into the harbor OK, he was more concerned about leaving. The reason - I've forgotten now, though he did explain it. I just remember getting up very early to see the ship get in to port. seeing the lights of the city growing bigger and bigger, then seeing the lights suddenly get smaller. I don't think Key West itself saw winds that reached 55 - probably more like 30.

...Has anyone ever been on a cruise where ALL ports are missed? What is the likelihood they will try and take us to other ports or will they just skip them...
First, I suggest you and all others to take 30 minutes and actually read the cruise contract you agree to when you set foot on the ship. You are guaranteed ZERO.

First, I suggest you and all others to take 30 minutes and actually read the cruise contract you agree to when you set foot on the ship. You are guaranteed ZERO.

Yes I understand this policy. I was honestly just curious how many of you have had this happen in the past. I’ve already told my children in some cases the ship can’t dock and we would just have to have a fun sea day. 😀

I just want to emphasize that it is very rare not to be able to dock even with winds. We have been on 100+ cruises and I would say one time we could not.

The challenge with high winds is if you are not docked and tenders are being used. On occasion we have missed a port or two but often they are replaced with other ports.

And please remember that a 10 day forecast is more often wrong then right.

Have a great cruise.

Keith

Thank you for your response:)

We are in a wild weather pattern...with "N'or easters" assaulting the East Coast. The storms travel easterly...so you're going to have winds and rocky seas for the time being.

I’m a little worried about the rocky sea. My children have never been , and no idea if they will get sea sick or not. Hoping not!

We live on a large lake and boat often. So they are used to some sailing.

They’ve never been on a large cruise though and that’s a totally different experience.

I’m hoping for the best 😀

I recall a time, though, that we had to cancel a stop in Key West because of high winds. The winds out in the open ocean were around 55 m.p.h. (so the captain said). He said that, although there was a chance that we could get into the harbor OK, he was more concerned about leaving. The reason - I've forgotten now, though he did explain it. I just remember getting up very early to see the ship get in to port. seeing the lights of the city growing bigger and bigger, then seeing the lights suddenly get smaller. I don't think Key West itself saw winds that reached 55 - probably more like 30.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully we at least make one 😀

Our very first cruise in 2013 was 18 nights Sydney to Honolulu. We missed three ports due to wind and sea conditions. It must not have put us off cruising. We could see the sea conditions and feel the wind, never occurred to us to be upset about it.

It is what it is.

I’m a little worried about the rocky sea. My children have never been , and no idea if they will get sea sick or not. Hoping not!

We live on a large lake and boat often. So they are used to some sailing.

They’ve never been on a large cruise though and that’s a totally different experience.

I’m hoping for the best 😀

If you goat often that is great.

You can speak with their pediatrician about this.

When our children were young our daughter would get car sick and the seas bothered her so we came prepared with children's bonine but we did that after consultation with her pediatrician.

Other things that may help are ginger, apple with some saltine crackers or even a ginger ale.

We prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

If you goat often that is great.

You can speak with their pediatrician about this.

When our children were young our daughter would get car sick and the seas bothered her so we came prepared with children's bonine but we did that after consultation with her pediatrician.

Other things that may help are ginger, apple with some saltine crackers or even a ginger ale.

We prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Thank you. We boat often in the summer, but not in the winter months.

I have one daughter that is super prone to car sickness , but she’s never had issues on the lake. Again I know that’s a totally different experience than a large boat. I plan on giving them all Dramamine or meclizine ( Bonine) the first couple of days and then see how it goes from there.

Which one of these do you recommend?

I remember a while back before we took a long flight to South America our Ped recommendation half a tab of Dramamine 30 min before boarding the plane. I will check with her , but curious what others used for their kids.

Thank you!

We are in a wild weather pattern...with "N'or easters" assaulting the East Coast. The storms travel easterly...so you're going to have winds and rocky seas for the time being.

While a nor'easter may cause rocky seas and intense winds, they do not"travel easterly". They blow out of the northeast on to the land which would be a traveling toward the west.

I take a 25mg. Meclazine every night at bedtime and have never been sick on a cruise ship. I am somewhat prone to motion sickness. :)

That’s what I did last time and it worked wonderfully :cool:

Thank you. We boat often in the summer, but not in the winter months.

I have one daughter that is super prone to car sickness , but she’s never had issues on the lake. Again I know that’s a totally different experience than a large boat. I plan on giving them all Dramamine or meclizine ( Bonine) the first couple of days and then see how it goes from there.

Which one of these do you recommend?

I remember a while back before we took a long flight to South America our Ped recommendation half a tab of Dramamine 30 min before boarding the plane. I will check with her , but curious what others used for their kids.

Thank you!

I prefer Meclizine as it presents zero side effects on me or my wife. Dramamine will make you drowsy and should not mix it with alcohol, although your kids I'm sure aren't big drinkers.;p Ask your pharmacist for a 100 count of Meclizine and it will cost less than $10. If you buy Bonine off the shelf it's expensive.(same stuff)

Some people give their kids Dramamine before flights so they will sleep.

Enjoy!

Kel