ATV in St. Martin/St. Maarten and beach suggestions?

kdogfister

Will be in port 06/26 and DW and I Would like to spend some time on the beaches, but maybe visit a couple for a couple of hours each (Grand Case, Orient and others). Would renting an ATV be a reasonable way to get around the island or would we be better off just using a taxi?

Anybody done an ATV on the roads? Recommend or avoid?

Found a Scooter and ATV rental place with good reviews (Johnny's) but would welcome other thoughts.

Suggestions for beaches? Looking for a beach with chair rentals and bathrooms. Other rental options would be a plus but not necessary especially if we rent the ATV. Clothing optional is fine.

Will be renting some atv’s from Johnny in a few weeks, will let you know how it works out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would be awesome. It'd just be the two of us sharing a single ATV. Most concerned about riding through traffic and where to leave the ATV on the beaches so any thoughts or concerns on that would be appreciated.

Enjoy your time on the island.

Will be in port 06/26 and DW and I Would like to spend some time on the beaches, but maybe visit a couple for a couple of hours each (Grand Case, Orient and others). Would renting an ATV be a reasonable way to get around the island or would we be better off just using a taxi?

Found a Scooter and ATV rental place with good reviews (Johnny's) but would welcome other thoughts.

Suggestions for beaches? Looking for a beach with chair rentals and bathrooms. Other rental options would be a plus but not necessary especially if we rent the ATV. Clothing optional is fine.

We will be renting spyders for our day there in April. Discovered somewhere on this discussion. They look like fun. Will let you know.

Sue

We will be renting spyders for our day there in April. Discovered somewhere on this discussion. They look like fun. Will let you know.

Sue

I saw that as well. Could be a decent option as they were priced similarly.

Sue, do you have any motorcycle experience? I'm generally not squeamish but haven't ridden a Spyder before and wonder how steep the learning curve is (obviously motorcycle without the three wheels and option for automatic would be much steeper). I thought the ATV might be a little less intimidating.

• 3 weeks later...

So we are just back from St Martin with the intention to rent scooters/ATV from Johnny. We arrived at his location and all his atv's were gone and due to one of the couples having no experience on a motorcycle we could not get the scooters..... well the Spyder rental was next to them and we decided to go that route.

We decided to just drive around the island and stop at the beaches as we go. After the first few beaches, (lots of damage) we decided to go to our planned location for lunch at Grand Case and the Rainbow Cafe. Great food and the beach somewhat usable. We decide to continue stopping as we drove and found more destruction.

Traffic was heavy out and into the port area due to construction so a lot of sitting in the heat waiting for traffic to move as you can't lane split with the spyder.

Would we do this again? Probably not until the island has recovered more.

The Great Bay Beach is fully operational and cleaned up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums