Shanghai post cruise- Chinese New Year

mom says

We disembark from our Constellation cruise on Feb 3/19, and have planned to fly home Feb 5 ( around 9 pm), which will be Chinese New Year. After almost a month of cruising, we don't plan on doing too much. Stroll along the Bund (daytime and evening), visit Yu Gardens and the Shanghai Museum, and a trip out to one of the water towns. But we've never visited China before. I have 2 questions (for now):

1. Where to stay. We can stay at the Shanghai Marriott City Center on points. It's near People's Park. Would this be a good location?

2. What to do, where to go New Years eve to see some of the celebrations. Any ideas?

I'd appreciate any advice from those who know Shanghai.

1. Where to stay. We can stay at the Shanghai Marriott City Center on points. It's near People's Park. Would this be a good location?

2. What to do, where to go New Years eve to see some of the celebrations. Any ideas?

As for question #1, the location near the People's Park is good. The Shanghai Museum is a must!

You probably should get a guide - Shanghai is an immense city - ToursbyLocals has a great one in Kelly. She probably could help you in finding best places to see the New Year celebrations.

Not sure what to say. It would be great to see the fireworks at the Bund, but I would avoid that place at all cost, especially on Chinese New Years Eve. We were there one year on a land tour and went to the Bund for CNYs eve. Scared us to death. If just one incident happened we would be in deep trouble. I something did happen a couple of years later with people injured and killed. So thankful we all got out in one piece. You would not be 'strolling' but being pushed along the Bund.

There's lots to see in Shanghai. The metro system is great and the signage is in English, so getting around the city isn't a big problem. You just need to decide what you want to see and where you want to go.

https://shanghaichina.ca/

I love the Bund. Yes, it is busy but that is part of its beauty.

Oh, I don't think we'll have any trouble filling our days with things to see and do, including strolling the Bund. Except on New Years Eve. I'd hoped to find somewhere to see at least some of the celebrations without feeling like I was at risk of being run over by hundreds of thousands of celebrants. Lol.