Porter or Stevedore. Which is correct?

SeaScout

We call them "porters" here on the boards. I've always understood that they are actually correctly called "Stevedores". The dictionary terms are a little ambiguous. So, which is correct?

por·ter1

ˈpôrdər/

noun

a person employed to carry luggage and other loads, especially in a railroad station, airport, or hotel.

ste·ve·dore

ˈstēvəˌdôr/

noun

• a person employed, or a contractor engaged, at a dock to load and unload cargo from ships.

Does it really make a difference?? I identify them as " luggage guys" LOL But to answer you question....Stevedore's, because they are contracted not employess of the Cruiselines

So I was correct then. I know it doesn't really make a difference. (unless you are a porter or stevedore). I was just curious. :cool:

We walked our luggage from our hotel in Southampton to the next door dock, City Terminal, as soon as the gates were opened, and saw the mini bus parked at the drop-off point... It was marked "Stevadores". I think they were having their break, because the men pointed to the luggage drop and shouted that it'll be fine there.

So I've always called them stevadores after that!

Who cares what they're called? Really.....whoever takes your bags, tip them $1-2 per bag. That's the customary thing to do.

The stevedores in Southampton didn't stir for a tip, and we wouldn't have thought of giving one... it's not usual in Europe, although I've not seen anyone refuse to take one. I would only think about it if they were carrying things a fair distance, or emptying a car for you.

The stevedores in Southampton didn't stir for a tip, and we wouldn't have thought of giving one... it's not usual in Europe, although I've not seen anyone refuse to take one. I would only think about it if they were carrying things a fair distance, or emptying a car for you.

As someone once said, we are two nations separated by a common language. I believe that stevedore is the correct term in the UK.

And the tips given to the longshoremen at the cruise terminals is simply extortion. Most of these guys are making more than the cruise passengers, in some cities they are well into 6 figure incomes. They ask for it because tipping is customary in the US, and most folks think these guys are underpaid blue collar workers.

Who cares what they're called? Really.....whoever takes your bags, tip them $1-2 per bag. That's the customary thing to do.

Lots of folks care...especially those who like to learn new info/terminology etc. and those who have more on their minds than their hat! :rolleyes: