Is checking bags mandatory ?

Cruizy7

Hi! Im going to be a first time cruiser this summer, going on the Norwegian Gem, leaving out of the New York City Cruise Terminal.

I've been doing some research and found horror stories of checked bags not making it onto the boat, and guests having to go 7 days without their clothes and other personal items. :eek:

To avoid this, and because I didn't wish to pay the $89 per person travel insurance, I want to just keep my suit case with me as I embark. Has anyone else done this? Would you recommend it? Is this allowed? or do they force you to give your suit case to a porter? :eek:

PS: I will only be bringing my tote bag and a small suite case.

Many Thanks!!:*

Most if the "horror" stories I've heard involve a bag checked on a flight that didn't make it on time, not something lost between the porter at the dock & your cabin.

If it is carry-on size, you can carry it on. Not sure about larger. The gangway for boarding can be steep depending on the port & tides.

Welcome to Cruise Critic..You can certainly take your luggage with you onboard as long as it fit's through the scanner and you don't mind lugging them with you until your cabin is open.

Just keep in mind travel insurance is for more than just protecting your luggage ;)

From what I've seen airport carry on bags could be carried on cruises. But you're stuck with the bag until sometime after 1 when the rooms open (sometimes it's a little earlier). This can be annoying as elevators are busy and dragging a suitcase up stairs suck. Especially if you go to the buffet as that's up several decks and the area is packed and hard to navigate with a bag.

I check even on short little weekend cruises. So much easier with just a little tote.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Considering the millions of cruise passengers each year, the incidents of luggage not showing up after checking them in at the cruise terminal is almost nil. This is not something worth worrying about. Relax and stop fretting about what bad can happen, and focus instead on being excited about your upcoming cruise.

Considering the millions of cruise passengers each year, the incidents of luggage not showing up after checking them in at the cruise terminal is almost nil. This is not something worth worrying about....

Oh my goodness, agreed!! You are focusing on the BAD, the horrible, the infinitesimal chance... we have cruised 18 times and never lost a bag between the pier and the cabin. Please do not worry about this, please.

The reason you hear bad things is because a negative story is re-told eleven times; a good story is usually re-told a couple of times. Which do you think the media and disgruntled passengers spin the most, hmm? Think about it.;)

Relax and have fun.

Travel Insurance is for more than just lost luggage.

There’s a whole board for Travel Insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This. Insurance is for MUCH more than lost luggage. Look at insuremytrip.com or theinsurancestore.com. I used insuremytrip.com. Great experience with them and I 'think' I'm covered 6 ways to sunday.

Hi! Im going to be a first time cruiser this summer, going on the Norwegian Gem, leaving out of the New York City Cruise Terminal.

I've been doing some research and found horror stories of checked bags not making it onto the boat, and guests having to go 7 days without their clothes and other personal items. :eek:

To avoid this, and because I didn't wish to pay the $89 per person travel insurance, I want to just keep my suit case with me as I embark. Has anyone else done this? Would you recommend it? Is this allowed? or do they force you to give your suit case to a porter? :eek:

As others have said, Yes you can carry it with you. BUT another suggestion, carry it with you until you get to the ship. Most people turn it over at the ship and they take it to your room. That way you know it gets to the ship :) And that insurance covers a whole lot more :) It covers if you need medical care and lots of other things :)

Personally I would be more worried about travelling without insurance.

Welcome to CC.

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. When bags are lost/delayed it's usually because of an airline problem. If you decide to carry on your luggage it has to fit through an airline type scanner, like the ones used at the airport for carryons.

I would be more concerned about traveling without insurance. Even young, healthy people can have an accident or sudden medical emergency. If you choose to travel without insurance at least check to see if your personal medical insurance covers you out of the country. Medical evacuation can cost thousands of dollars and rarely does a personal policy cover.

I have a general rule of never putting anything I'm afraid of losing in checked luggage. Would it suck to lose your clothes:o? Yes but I can always buy new ones;) As for travel insurance it would be foolish to go without it. $89 sounds expensive but if you got really sick and needed medical evacuation than the costs would sky-rocket:eek:.

Since retiring five years ago we only do carry on. Just came back from 7 weeks of travel. Carry on only. It was what we can physically handle by ourselves.

We never have an issue on a cruise. If our cabin is not ready we typically go up to the pool deck and relax. We absolutely avoid the food areas because they are often mobbed. I think that the most we have had to wait is an hour or so. We both have roller carry ons so it is very easy to move around. More than once we have changed into shorts prior to getting our cabin.

Personally I would be more worried about travelling without insurance.

This.

Having had a family medical issue, the travel insurance was WELL worth the money.

Very few bags get lost. A number of people end up with medical issues, that have them have to leave the ship. And then you have to get home. Or miss the ship. Or don't make it to the cruise terminal. Or have life or work intervene.

The cruise I had a family issue with, two people left the ship for medical issues at that same port.

The port agent told me, one time they took 6 people off the same ship, and this was between the pulled the gangway and dropped the lines. They reset the gangway 6 times.

And for reference, a med evac flight from Halifax to DC was $29,000.

Since retiring five years ago we only do carry on. Just came back from 7 weeks of travel. Carry on only. It was what we can physically handle by ourselves.

We never have an issue on a cruise. If our cabin is not ready we typically go up to the pool deck and relax. We absolutely avoid the food areas because they are often mobbed. I think that the most we have had to wait is an hour or so. We both have roller carry ons so it is very easy to move around. More than once we have changed into shorts prior to getting our cabin.

The OP is sailing NCL, so a MDR will

be open for lunch, as well as O’Sheehans, no need to brave the buffet.

I have a general rule of never putting anything I'm afraid of losing in checked luggage. Would it suck to lose your clothes:o? Yes but I can always buy new ones;) As for travel insurance it would be foolish to go without it. $89 sounds expensive but if you got really sick and needed medical evacuation than the costs would sky-rocket:eek:.

I would not cruise without medical insurance that pays outside my home country , has medical evca coverage to get me home if I had an accidnegt or illness. I crwe ls about cancellaqtion insurance. the price of the cruise is a known amount and if I could not aford it, I would not book it. NOT to say, I wouln'd hate to lose the cost of a cruise but medical care for illness or accident is an unknown number and could be Huge.

The OP is sailing NCL, so a MDR will

be open for lunch, as well as O’Sheehans, no need to brave the buffet.

Princess also has one of their main dining rooms open for lunch on embarkation day between noon and 1:30. There is never a wait to be seated or served. The poolside grill should also be open on most mass market cruise lines. We never go to the buffet on the first day. Yet, we always find somewhere quiet and comfortable for lunch.

If you carry on your luggage you will be lugging it around until you are allowed into your cabin.

I travel with carry on luggage only. Last year, when I boarded NCL Sky, I kept my luggage with me. There was a bar that was closed where everyone could just drop their luggage and go on their way. There were 2 NCL employees 'standing watch', if you will. NOT for me. I kept my luggage. I went to lunch and relaxed and once lunch was finished, my cabin was ready. Why did I do this? Because I KNEW no one but me ever touched my luggage. Not leaving my luggage with employees who don't care about my stuff.

Best was to sort this is to pack wisely....but travel insurance is must regardless.

When I fly to anywhere I pack a largish roller suitcase of clothes and then have a small roller suitcase as my carry on. In this suitcase I can fit all my essentials and 3 days+ of clothes and extra outerwear and shoes....one year I even had my formal dress rolled up in it with my shoes as formal night is often night 2.

The ship will be able to press anything for you for a fee,

I could probably manage without checking my bags if needed though.