First Cruise- Discovery

hello! First post, for my first cruise, so be gentle with me.

I've booked the Royal Suite on Discovery for the "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise in Oct 2018, for me and my mum- both newbies to cruises.

Starting to get cold feet :o - can't get much info on the cabin I've booked- just the 3 pictures on the Thomson website. Can anyone tell me what it's really like?

Also, from the reviews thus far, it would seem that Thomson are more kids focused. Would it be suitable for mum and me? We're more like the Duchess and her spinster daughter, sipping G&Ts, rather than Kris Jenner and Kim Kardashian:D.

Many thanks.

I've booked the Royal Suite on Discovery for the "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise in Oct 2018, for me and my mum- both newbies to cruises.

Starting to get cold feet :o - can't get much info on the cabin I've booked- just the 3 pictures on the Thomson website. Can anyone tell me what it's really like?

Also, from the reviews thus far, it would seem that Thomson are more kids focused. Would it be suitable for mum and me? We're more like the Duchess and her spinster daughter, sipping G&Ts, rather than Kris Jenner and Kim Kardashian:D.

Many thanks.

I remember being apprehensive before our first cruise and now we're hooked! Can't help with the suite but Discovery is a lovely ship and there are lots of things to do on board if you want them but equally there are lots of quiet areas if you just want to sit and read or enjoy a G&T:D If you like to be quiet at lunch times, try the glass house - they do lovely salads and it's a really nice atmosphere. Enjoy!

Many thanks.

Haven't been on Discovery yet - my husband and I are booked on her for the Malaga to Southampton 12 nighter in May 2018 - but have been on Discovery 2 that is virtually identical (May this year) and enjoyed it so much that we are going on her again in October. We are 57 and 70 years old, have never had kids and, like you, are not into loud music etc. We were very pleasantly surprised with the ship - plenty of quiet places for your G+Ts (or Vodka Martinis in my case). Can't help with your suite info I'm afraid as we were in a basic inside cabin. Your itinerary sounds wonderful and I am sure you will have a great time. You are definitely not alone in having first time jitters; we went on a 'one off' for our Silver Wedding five years ago thinking it may not be for us - our October sailing will be our 11th (all with Thomson)!

Edited by campolady

• 1 month later...
Here is a youtube video of the Royal Suite

Can you play the piano?

We have also booked this cruise which will be our first as well,

Booked a Family Suite

You'll feel like Jane Mcdonald in that suite. We drank one or two G&T's last summer and even though it was the summer holidays we never had any problem with unruly children/teenagers. Have a great holiday.