Food Seabourn compared to Oceania and Crystal

nast

Chef on Odyssey is Lindsay. A South African guy!

A good chef who will always chat if you are interested.

Apart from a truly awful Thai night in the Colonade("if you cant do it well don't do it") the food on our recent Athens-Athens was splendid.TK roast chicken top notch.

Haha, never saw him, in uk Lindsay is a ladies name generally!

We never do the themed colonnade nights, as we have historically been disappointed. However, the tk fried chicken night which allowed an exception to our rule was very good.

I have never sailed Crystal - haven't yet found an itinerary I like. However, Regent, Oceania and Seabourn. My first experience on Seabourn was less than expected, but it turned out there was a reason for it. We returned this year for a great itinerary and were blown away. The greatest part of Seabourn is that you can ask for something special and it will be done for you every time. I don't eat meat or chicken and am pretty particular about seafood, but when I requested lobster I was told I could have it any time and from that time on at every dinner they said did you want your lobster we have it reserved for you? Sometimes I preferred the fish option that was being served and turned it down but it was never a problem.

Same with my friend who loves caviar. All she had to do was ask and she was given it any time at all.

My only complaint with Seabourn is the Seabourn Square where there are basically the same sandwiches every day. Mostly bread with very little filling.

I love the food on Oceania far more than Regent especially the always present lobster sandwiches you can get at the grill.

Either way you can't go wrong with any of them. But looking possibly into the Montreal to Miami with Seabourn on October 21 since we had to cancel the Europe cruise since my husband can't fly that far so soon after recent surgery. Maybe will see some of you there. We loved the trip we took in May from Barcelona to Dover and were sad to leave the ship. It even sailed on the Seine River - amazing.

Edited by kkmiausa

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2018 at 2:19 AM, nast said:

Done several Oceania and two Crystal Cruises. Like food on both cruise lines.

Taken a Seabourn cruise 3 years ago and thought food was similar in quality.

Heard from friends who sail Seabourn all the time that food on their last cruise was not as good

as it has been, and service was not that great. They will change cruiseline next time.

Thinking about taking a 14 day Caribbean cruise on Odyssey next year.

Is food quality on Seabourn not as good as before ?

Any thoughts ?

We've done 30 cruises including 10 SB cruises. We sail exclusively on Seabourn now specifically because the high quality of food they start with.  I can't eat onions or spices due to stomach issues and chronic migraines so I order all of my steaks and veggies naked and then salt to taste.  Our most recent cruise was a  Barcelona to Iceland (26 days I think) this April and food was as good or better than ever.

Oceania has a reputation of being a foodie's cruise line so we did try a 7 day Oceania cruise on the Riviera 2 years ago as a test.  I couldn't eat a darn thing because everything they offered was smothered with sauces and/or spices.  Even their lobster tails were spiced up.  (The passengers were super rude and pushier than SB passengers too but that's for another thread.)

Not ever being on a Crystal cruise we can't comment on how they compare to SB.

We have 2 x 14 day cruises currently booked on SB and are looking to book a third so we're happy with Seabourn's food.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:00 AM, adoctor said:

Chef on Odyssey is Lindsay. A South African guy!

A good chef who will always chat if you are interested.

Apart from a truly awful Thai night in the Colonade("if you cant do it well don't do it") the food on our recent Athens-Athens was splendid.TK roast chicken top notch.

I agree on the Thai food night comment.  I've never had good Thai food on any of my 30 cruises on 7 different cruise lines.  What's up with that?

3 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I agree on the Thai food night comment.  I've never had good Thai food on any of my 30 cruises on 7 different cruise lines.  What's up with that?

There are probably not many Thai cooks in the kitchens. This is as compared to many Indian cooks which is why one can usually get a great Indian meal on SB when you special order it.