Have any of you sailed the itinerary Kobe, Japan to Vancouver, B. C. ?

SLSD

We are still looking at SB itineraries and are considering a May 2019 cruise leaving from Kobe Japan, taking in two more Japanese ports, a port in far Eastern Russia, across the Pacific, several Alaska ports, and two ports in British Columbia including disembarkation in Vancouver . It is a 23 day voyage. I think it is basically a repositioning cruise, but a bit different from most. Have any of you taken this voyage or a similar one? Even if you haven't taken it, would you take a look and tell me what you think? https://www.seabourn.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=A9S23A&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=5926&selectedMeta=Veranda%20Suite&shipId=SJ

Hi there

Emperor Norton wrote about the 2018 trip. Check his heading "From Cow King to an Empress". Last entry was on 24 June so it's down a few pages.

If you are looking for something different we are just back from 14 days Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia (our 5th trip on this ship but not for 4 years). Happy to report still excellent and in the opinion of the 8 Diamond Seabourners on this trip the food and service far exceeded Seabourn offering. It's a vacation, not a trip.

That said we have a Christmas booking with Seabourn and have booked the Kobe to Vancouver trip next year also. Too many choices! Good luck, we may see you there.

SLSD,

we did the reverse crusie (Vancouver to Tokyo) on SS in Sept 2013. One of the best itineraries we have done (and no bad weather at all). For us it was a great combination of having many sea days and visiting ports one normally does not get too (like Kamchatka, Kodiak). Plus you get an Alaska cruise "thrown in".

I've just gone back to read Emperor Norton's thread about this itinerary. It sounds like it was a wretched cruise. I remember posting on that thread, but was't focussed on the itinerary. I am not inclined to sign us up for that one now. It appears that SB took this opportunity to attempt a lot of deck repairs and at least Emperor Norton did not feel that SB was putting its best foot forward. One has to wonder if SB considers a repositioning cruise to be less than other cruises. I am concerned enough to go back to looking at other itineraries. I am also concerned about weather on this route. Any other comments?

SLSD, Emperor Norton had his issues and I would never down play them. I would suggest you read more of his reviews by checking his previous posts, to get his preference to write things with an ironic twist. However I do accept his cruise was impacted by the misguided effort to fix the deck which turned out bigger then was anticipated.

One group of friends, American, did the cruise the year before and were very happy. They sent a wonderful photo of themselves in Kyoto under the cherry blossom trees. Some English friends did the cruise this year and also enjoyed themselves. But everyone is different and cruises impact people differently. I know that is not very helpful but it is difficult to say how things will go.

I will be sailing on Sojourn this December to celebrate a milestone birthday. I am looking forward to it because it has some interesting ports and will try to temper my expectations. I have been let down before by expecting the ship to be perfect ie the inaugural sailing of Encore. This July I was more realistic and enjoyed my Encore cruise.

I think I am correct in thinking Rusty Rollock also was very unhappy but there was someone else who made a few comments in the review and he enjoyed the cruise. I could be misremembering here?

I hope this helps a little? This will be your first time on the Odyssey class ships so maybe that is also a new unknown? Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

Julie

frantic36, Thank you for your comments--which are very valid. Hopefully, we will hear from someone else about this itinerary. Yes, while we did sail on one of the smaller Silversea ships, this would be our first cruise on a SB O class ship. We have sailed on the Encore and also the Ovation and enjoyed them. While I totally understand complaints of others who did not like them, a lot of it is mindset. We met wonderful people, ate great food, were entertained, enjoyed interesting ports, ate caviar, enjoyed hot tubs while drinking Long Island Iced tea, loved tea time, loved sailing into ports, lunches and dinners on the veranda, etc.

I would miss the TK Grill BAR on the O class ships.

We did this spring of 2017 and had a great time. We love a lot of sea days, some people do not and should skip this one if that’s a issue. Nice to travel first to Japan and spend time there, then have an easy flight back to east coast from, in our case, Seattle.

It was a repositioning cruise. Eating dinner on the patio was pleasant but COLD. We also had a number of our new friends take the fall South Pacific trip so that was a plus.

We are still looking at SB itineraries and are considering a May 2019 cruise leaving from Kobe Japan, taking in two more Japanese ports, a port in far Eastern Russia, across the Pacific, several Alaska ports, and two ports in British Columbia including disembarkation in Vancouver . It is a 23 day voyage. I think it is basically a repositioning cruise, but a bit different from most. Have any of you taken this voyage or a similar one? Even if you haven't taken it, would you take a look and tell me what you think? https://www.seabourn.com/details?webItineraryIdForAudit=A9S23A&fromSearchVacation=true&guestsCount=2&voyageCode=5926&selectedMeta=Veranda%20Suite&shipId=SJ

jozi, You take on this itinerary was a bit of what we were thinking. It includes some ports in Japan, Alaska and then we could fly home from Vancouver (to Dallas) which is not a short flight, but not like flying back from Europe or Asia. We do love sea days, but I have never experienced four of them in a row plus so many other days that would be scenic cruising. We do think we would like that part. I worry that SB would see this as a lesser cruise (priced less for 23 days) and that the food/service would suffer. We can well afford to take a more expensive cruise and would not want to waste time if this one was treated as a lesser priority for SB. Did you find it to be a normal cruise--or not?

To be clear, we weren’t disappointed with this cruise at all, mainly because we had realistic expectations. We knew the weather was likely to be less than perfect (it was) so sea days relaxing by the pool weren’t possible. The deck repairs were an unexpected irritation but we understood that Seabourn had little alternative but to try and fix things during that crossing. The weather was such that almost nobody wanted to use the pool area anyway.

Otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. We’ve done several trips which are technically “repositioning” and we choose them specifically because they include plenty of our beloved sea days which are the whole point of cruising for us. We’ve never noticed a deterioration in service, food or anything else for that matter. Cost has nothing to do with it. But I repeat, you cannot rely on good weather on this itinerary so be prepared.

It was our first visit to Japan and it was as fascinating as we’d hoped even though our stops were at maybe less well known ports, eg, Hakodate. This was a plus as it meant less traffic and crowds. We also just missed the short blossom season which was slightly disappointing but quick research told us we shouldn’t expect to see much by then anyway.

Thank you Rusty Rollock for chiming in here. My husband was really interested in this itinerary (sea days + Japan + Alaska +Vancouver) and was very disappointed when I told him that I was concerned that SB considered it a lesser priority.

We have sailed on the Odyssey, Quest, Encore and soon, the Ovation. While I thought the Encore was fabulous, and a step up from the Odyssey/Quest, I would book another cruise on the Odyssey, Quest, Sojourn in a heartbeat. It’s the crew, the service etc which makes for a great cruise IMO, the overall ambiance. The ship is just the icing on the cake IMO.

To be clear, we weren’t disappointed with this cruise at all, mainly because we had realistic expectations. We knew the weather was likely to be less than perfect (it was) so sea days relaxing by the pool weren’t possible. The deck repairs were an unexpected irritation but we understood that Seabourn had little alternative but to try and fix things during that crossing. The weather was such that almost nobody wanted to use the pool area anyway.

Otherwise we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. We’ve done several trips which are technically “repositioning” and we choose them specifically because they include plenty of our beloved sea days which are the whole point of cruising for us. We’ve never noticed a deterioration in service, food or anything else for that matter. Cost has nothing to do with it. But I repeat, you cannot rely on good weather on this itinerary so be prepared.

It was our first visit to Japan and it was as fascinating as we’d hoped even though our stops were at maybe less well known ports, eg, Hakodate. This was a plus as it meant less traffic and crowds. We also just missed the short blossom season which was slightly disappointing but quick research told us we shouldn’t expect to see much by then anyway.

+1 I enjoyed this cruise and the ports, in spite of the deck repairs.

Thank you Laylam.

I do have a question for you and RustyRollock about clothing for this itinerary. How cold did it get? I know to pack layers---and waterproof jacket. I was looking at some of the excursions and several mentioned warm hats too. What did you take and did you wish for anything in terms of outwear that you did not bring?

We are still talking about this itinerary at our house.

It depends on your tolerance to cold. Wind chill was more of a problem than actual air temp. We were given complimentary blue Seabourn fleece lined, wind/shower proof jackets which worked very well if required. They are good quality and not plastered with tacky logos and branding. You’ll have to ask Seabourn if they plan to offer the jackets on the trip you’re considering.

As for packing, as you say, layers rule and yes, I’d take a warm beanie hat. For example, our stop at Hubbard Glacier was spectacular and one of the best sunny days of the whole trip, but we had to wrap up against that bitterly cold wind coming straight off the glacier.

jozi, You take on this itinerary was a bit of what we were thinking. It includes some ports in Japan, Alaska and then we could fly home from Vancouver (to Dallas) which is not a short flight, but not like flying back from Europe or Asia. We do love sea days, but I have never experienced four of them in a row plus so many other days that would be scenic cruising. We do think we would like that part. I worry that SB would see this as a lesser cruise (priced less for 23 days) and that the food/service would suffer. We can well afford to take a more expensive cruise and would not want to waste time if this one was treated as a lesser priority for SB. Did you find it to be a normal cruise--or not?

Not quite sure what you mean. It was a good value at the final pricing. Food drink, entertainment, lectures, decent tours offered in the Japan and Alaska ports (some we did on our own, one was rescheduled to be extra early at the last minute- the night before and they offered us a no penalty cancellation which we took advantage of as rain was in the offing and it was an outdoorsy trip to a remote north Japanese lake— others went and had a good time but we were just as happy to see the little fishing town ). There were few private options in northern Japan (with more cruises stopping there nowadays perhaps that will change)

So nothing missing that I could discern. I thought that there’d be focus on the launch of the revived Alaska route distracting the officers but that was not, to my recollection, in evidence. We had Sophie as CD and she did a great job. The guest entertainers during the sea day stretch seemed to bond and guest starred in each other’s shows, so some sense of spontaneity.

Actually, my most UNfavorite trip was an early summer 7+7 med trip. Hectic, unsettled, port intensive, lots of mid trip passenger turnover so not a real chance to get to know many people. Passengers on for a week have, understandably, different vacation priorities and expectations. So if that’s “normal” I’d prefer a leisurely repositioning cruise in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you’ll have a great time!

I do have a question about clothing for this itinerary. How cold did it get? What did you take and did you wish for anything in terms of outwear that you did not bring?

We found a pair of gloves indispensable besides a warm head covering and obviously layers. The wind can get chilly when standing on deck and watching whales, glaciers or just the ocean. Some folks used socks to keep their hands warm....

Jozi, My question was a bit odd. I guess I was asking if this repositioning cruise was up to the SB standards--and from your description, it was. Thank you for your comments.

I do understand your comments about a 7+7 Med. cruise in the early summer. Lots of passenger turnover makes things seem a bit hectic.

Yes to gloves and warm hats, layers, etc.

My husband really wants to do this itinerary . Something about it appeals to him. He had not wanted to do Alaska, but approaching from the west somehow appeals to him--and the fact that it is not just an Alaskan cruise--and the fact that it ends in Vancouver (one of the places we went on our honeymoon 42 years ago).

A new concern is the condition of the pool/patio bar deck by May of next year. Evidently, it is still an issue now---after many voyages. Is it ever going to be resolved? Should we be concerned?

A new concern is the condition of the pool/patio bar deck by May of next year. Evidently, it is still an issue now---after many voyages. Is it ever going to be resolved? Should we be concerned?

It was COLD out there, we would eat dinner with blankets (provided), jackets, hats. Food hot on the pass would go cold walking it ten feet to the table. Sounds like patio grill will be open, though and I can’t imagine them pounding nails at night. I think you’ll have a great time and Vancouver revisited sounds like a charming way to end the trip!

My wife and I did a similar cruise on SS Vancouver to Tokyo 4 years ago in September.

We loved it!! Petropavlovsk was our favorite stop--many snow covered volcanos and a nice city. Kodiac and Hakodate were also good stops--especially the fish market in Hakodate,

The 4 sea days crossing the Bering Sea--3 were very calm--1 was slightly rough.

This was one of my favorite cruises--well traveled passengers, very good lecturers, etc.

PS--The only cold place was excursion to volcano in Kamchata Peninsula.