After-cruise survey--just give us a 10 & press send!

constantcruiser

Within hours after we disembarked Equinox last week, we received the standard online survey about our cruise. This survey appeared much less detailed than ones we have taken in the past, although the 1-10 ratings were the same. We thought it lumped far too many areas together. For instance, there was only one question about live music. We loved the Celebrity orchestra and the solo guitarist, but disliked other groups. It doesn't seem fair to give one rating to all live music aboard the ship when there is such a wide gap in quality. The same was true of guest entertainers. We loved some and walked out on others...do they all deserve the same grade? The survey didn't provide any opportunity for you to explain your ratings.

In fact, there were only two opportunities to write in comments. One space specifically asked for the names of staff who were exemplary, and the other asked you to describe your "most memorable experience."

It really didn't feel like Celebrity was looking for ways to improve the cruising experience, just fishing for the highest ratings so they could brag. As a passenger, how valuable do you consider these after-cruise questionnaires?

They need to have a general comment area to make comments for things that you may feel will help improve, affected your cruise, or to acknowledge what was outstanding.

I think their feeling is if something is wrong it should be addressed while on the cruise so it can be corrected and make the cruise more enjoyable for you.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Within hours after we disembarked Equinox last week, we received the standard online survey about our cruise. This survey appeared much less detailed than ones we have taken in the past, although the 1-10 ratings were the same. We thought it lumped far too many areas together. For instance, there was only one question about live music. We loved the Celebrity orchestra and the solo guitarist, but disliked other groups. It doesn't seem fair to give one rating to all live music aboard the ship when there is such a wide gap in quality. The same was true of guest entertainers. We loved some and walked out on others...do they all deserve the same grade? The survey didn't provide any opportunity for you to explain your ratings.

In fact, there were only two opportunities to write in comments. One space specifically asked for the names of staff who were exemplary, and the other asked you to describe your "most memorable experience."

It really didn't feel like Celebrity was looking for ways to improve the cruising experience, just fishing for the highest ratings so they could brag. As a passenger, how valuable do you consider these after-cruise questionnaires?

I have yet to receive a response from a survey.I wonder how many go into the computer "round file." ?

I have been contacted 3 times after submitting the post Cruise survey but that was with the more detailed survey. If I have something I feel needs to be addressed in the survey I will use one of the 2 spaces where writer comments can be added. But in the past few years if I have a problem on the ship I address it while on the ship.

I received the abbreviated survey after our Eclipse cruise and just put all of my comments... positive and negative... in the box with commendations for great employees. At least they had to read them to get to the good stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You really believe they read the comments? Several tears ago a cruise director mentioned that all they care about are the high ratings. No way do they have staff/time for the rest. Its there to make you feel good. Thus, the survey crafted to limit comments and generalize rating responses.

We were also on the same cruise. We are pretty frequent cruisers on Celebrity and my opinion is the survey has absolutely no impact or at least mine don't. I agree with you that the orchestra was unusually good on this cruise and we also liked both the solo guitar and the guitar duo. The house band was one of the worst and they tried to cover it with volume (drummer). The guest group UpTown was great but I think they blew their budget on this one group.

It's the other areas where there seems to be a constant downward slide is quality and service is where I think the surveys are ignored. I got mine 3 days after the cruise and have yet to fill it out. I'm starting to think my time is more valuable than my opinion is to Celebrity.

If this is like most "surveys" that customers receive, they have nothing to do with quality, improvement or customer satisfaction. They are simply a compensation tool--nothing else. Compensation at various management levels is tied to the numbers that customers give. Beyond that, they are thrown away.

I actually got a call from celebrity welcoming me home from my cruise and asking how we liked it, this was not survey related this person had not seen my survey. But it was a great cruise all around anyway! I did relay some of our experiences,which were all very positive, it was a very nice conversation and she thanked me for sailing with them.

I actually got a call from celebrity welcoming me home from my cruise and asking how we liked it, this was not survey related this person had not seen my survey. But it was a great cruise all around anyway! I did relay some of our experiences,which were all very positive, it was a very nice conversation and she thanked me for sailing with them.

Did you book the cruise directly with Celebrity or us a TA?

We disembarked yesterday and got the survey a few hours later. I agree it is useless to lump every aspect together. Some crew are great, some not so much etc but you can't specify.

Did you know they still give out "attention to detail " cards at Guest Relations? We always fill out those when we want to give special recognition to someone. I did hear once that the person complimented gets to hear what you said.

I think when they used to do the onboard written surveys (I think they went away around 2015 or 2016?) they would use the comments about specific staff members to reward them and it was a path to advancement. Since they switched to the electronic surveys I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore. On a cruise last year our server in Luminae (who was fantastic) was literally almost begging us to rate our experience in Luminae a “10” on the survey. When we told him we would make sure to write his name on the survey he didn’t seem to care and reemphasized putting a “10” on the service score. That indicated to me that Celebrity isn’t reading the comments anymore. I worked for a tour operator for many years and everything related to the execution of the trip that impacted customers was rated in the post-trip survey. No one looked at written comments unless an area was declining in excellence. Then we had an operations department who had to comb through all the surveys for a particular tour for a particular rating and read the comments to determine what was causing the decline. If everything was performing as expected or exceeding expectations then the comments were not read.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we first started cruising back in the 80's, Royal Caribbean still did the written on-board comment cards and everyone in the cabin received his/her own. I don't know if they valued the actual comments as much as they did the number of cards submitted. But it was important enough that, at 8:00 am on the morning of disembarkation, the Cruise Director picked one card out of the bin and that person won a free cruise!

My wife and I just returned last week from our first cruise on Holland America. A day or so after disembarkation, we each received a survey by email. It was the longest, most detailed survey I've ever received from a cruise line, and it had followup questions that popped up depending on how you replied to the set questions. It took a good bit of time to fill out, and also had spaces for us to include more detailed comments. I have no idea who looks at these, or if they will really be considered, but from the substance, it did not seem to just be going through the motions.

When we were on board, we received a comment card every night in our staterooms, to be given to Guest Services. It asked for three things: "tell us what you like, and we promise not to change it" [i loved the wording of that one]; tell us what you don't like; and, who has given you legendary service?

I think that the overall survey is compiled with a lot of others and put in the big melting pot. What does come out of each survey though are recommendations, commendations and otherwise of individual staff members. It is the comments from passengers which go a long way to ensuring future contracts and bonuses. That is why you may get especially towards the end of a cruise your sommelier or room steward asking for a favourable comment on the post cruise report. If you receive exceptional service for a particular situation whilst onboard fill out the guest comment form from guest relations. If you single out a staff member for great service they get a letter from the Hotel Director advising them that a positive report has been received and it also goes towards future employment. In many respects these positive comments are more important long term than a few dollars tip short term. It costs us nothing to say thank you and advise the higher ups of great service from down below

We disembarked yesterday and got the survey a few hours later. I agree it is useless to lump every aspect together. Some crew are great, some not so much etc but you can't specify.

Did you know they still give out "attention to detail " cards at Guest Relations? We always fill out those when we want to give special recognition to someone. I did hear once that the person complimented gets to hear what you said.

Just off the same cruise. We did receive a comment card the third day asking how are we doing? I have never received this on previous cruises.

We got the same card on the third day of the cruise, but it wasn't exactly a comment card. It was more of a "is there anything wrong?" card.

I filled out one on a previous cruise just because we didn't have any laundry bags in our cabin, and due to a language barrier I couldn't make our steward understand what we needed. I thought it was just a simple form that would clarify my request. Oh no, within a couple of hours the Head Housekeeper was knocking on our door with a handful of laundry bags and an offer to do our laundry for free! That night a new cabin steward introduced himself and apologized for the disappointing service of our "former" steward, whom we never saw again! The rest of the cruise I spent trying to explain to everyone from the Hotel Director to the bathroom attendants that we really weren't unhappy with our first steward, and that the whole incident was really my fault for not downloading Google Translate onto my phone.

The way it works now and I would be shocked that the 'suits' aren't aware of the multiple requests from staff to passengers for 10's, it does not seem to me it is accurate feedback or worth anything. You would think Celebrity and other cruise lines would want honest feedback, but maybe not.....

Secondly, I would not punish staff for 8's and 9's on occasion. Sometimes the problem is US!