Disembarking Summit in San Juan

MarLieb

We will be disembarking the Summit in San Juan in December and I was going to book a car to take us to the airport. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what time I should have the car pick us up?

Our flight is at 11:30 am from SJU. We are TSA pre-check and will be staying in a Royal Suite if that makes any difference. Should I schedule the car for 9:00 am? Earlier? It looks like the airport is close to the port, but I'm not sure what traffic is like in San Juan.

Thank you for your thoughts!

We've been cruising from San Juan for 25+ years and almost always in December.

In December ('17) with checking in online, Customs and Immigration, a shuttle to the airport - not private service, Global Entry, the Agriculture check and TSA it was over 2 1/2 hours. The shuttle was part of the delay but I'd err on the side of caution and arrange for the driver at 8:30. For one thing the port was a transportation mess. That may have had something to do with the after effects of the hurricanes but it was definitely more congested than normal. We have found TSA at SJU always on the slow side. In December there was no agent at the TSA Pre station and we had to go through general security and this was not the first time.

If you are early perhaps your airline has a lounge.

After a wonderful cruise I'm sure you want a carefree trip home. That extra 1/2 hour would be my comfortable cushion.

We've been cruising from San Juan for 25+ years and almost always in December.

In December ('17) with checking in online, Customs and Immigration, a shuttle to the airport - not private service, Global Entry, the Agriculture check and TSA it was over 2 1/2 hours. The shuttle was part of the delay but I'd err on the side of caution and arrange for the driver at 8:30. For one thing the port was a transportation mess. That may have had something to do with the after effects of the hurricanes but it was definitely more congested than normal. We have found TSA at SJU always on the slow side. In December there was no agent at the TSA Pre station and we had to go through general security and this was not the first time.

If you are early perhaps your airline has a lounge.

After a wonderful cruise I'm sure you want a carefree trip home. That extra 1/2 hour would be my comfortable cushion.

We have also been cruising from San Juan for many years (and also had many business trips to SJ) and agree with alcpa1.

It appears you will be disembarking on Saturday morning, so the traffic will not be a problem. One tip would be to use a porter to help you with your luggage in the arrival hall. Unless something has changed, they are able to bypass the line of those with their own baggage and get you through Customs/Border Control more quickly.

We have found that the taxi line moves very quickly but if you want to hire a car that is your choice. We definitely would not take the Celebrity shuttle if you are short on time. One of the problems is that in the past they brought the baggage in a separate truck and you might wait a long time at the airport for the baggage to arrive. And when it does, they throw it all in a heap at the curb.

Also, DO NOT FORGET to take your luggage through the Agriculture Inspection x-ray station just inside the terminal (and get inspection stickers on all pieces of baggage that are to be checked) before you check in or you will be sent back. Again, using a porter at the airport will speed things along. One caution with using a porter at SJU - on our last trip the porter tried to scam us by saying our bags were overweight but he could solve the problem with the gate agent if we paid him an extra fee. We knew our bags were not overweight so we told him to forget it.

The TSA lines can be slow, so plan to go there immediately after checking in. Though there are less options after security, I would not waste time in the shops or restaurants outside the security area.

If you do all these things, I would expect you could be at your gate within 90-120 minutes after walking off the ship.

We definitely would not take the Celebrity shuttle if you are short on time. One of the problems is that in the past they brought the baggage in a separate truck and you might wait a long time at the airport for the baggage to arrive. And when it does, they throw it all in a heap at the curb.

How much does the Celebrity shuttle cost?

We will be disembarking the Summit in San Juan in December and I was going to book a car to take us to the airport. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what time I should have the car pick us up?

Our flight is at 11:30 am from SJU. We are TSA pre-check and will be staying in a Royal Suite if that makes any difference. Should I schedule the car for 9:00 am? Earlier? It looks like the airport is close to the port, but I'm not sure what traffic is like in San Juan.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Looks like you've gotten great suggestions regarding disembarking. Anastasia , the MC concierge on Summit atm is wonderful and will help get you off the ship at the time you settle one. If you're looking for a recommendation car service wise, I really like the folks at the limo people. I'll be using them again next month when i finish up "helping" the Summit relo down to San Juan. Not sure when you're cruising in December, but I'm looking @ the Dec 8 trip, so if that's you, we might meet!

8:30 am pickup will work just fine. I also agree with cmhdoogalatsea regarding "The Limo People". I sailed Summit on the January 20th repo from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale and also did the April 21 repo from San Juan to Bayonne and both times used "The Limo People". Excellent service and Gabriel in the office was a pleasure to deal with. I am also on the Summit October 21 repo from Bayonne to San Juan and will use The Limo People once again upon arrival in San Juan.

When I sailed Summit earlier this month I thought that Anastasia told me she was leaving the ship in November (I may be wrong on this). Anastasia is a wonderful Michaels Club Concierge but even if she is off the ship when you sail whoever the concierge is in Michaels Club will make sure you get off the ship early!

8:30 am pickup will work just fine. I also agree with cmhdoogalatsea regarding "The Limo People". I sailed Summit on the January 20th repo from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale and also did the April 21 repo from San Juan to Bayonne and both times used "The Limo People". Excellent service and Gabriel in the office was a pleasure to deal with. I am also on the Summit October 21 repo from Bayonne to San Juan and will use The Limo People once again upon arrival in San Juan.

When I sailed Summit earlier this month I thought that Anastasia told me she was leaving the ship in November (I may be wrong on this). Anastasia is a wonderful Michaels Club Concierge but even if she is off the ship when you sail whoever the concierge is in Michaels Club will make sure you get off the ship early!

Thank you so much! I will give The Limo People a call!

How much does the Celebrity shuttle cost?

Our TA checked for us as we will be sailing from San Juan in January 2019. The Celebrity shuttle cost to/from SJU airport is $18 per person, each way. I would not use it if I had any time constraints as per my earlier comment.

Anastasia was just promoted to Suite Manager (9/21) on the Reflection, joining it in Rome.

I learned from the Shoreside Suite Concierge that Pavel has taken Anastasia’s place as MC Concierge on the Summit. He was a suite butler when we sailed in April 2018 and was the MC bartender when we sailed in April 2017 on the Summit.

HI, we were in SJU last year. Since or flight was late afternoon, I did not pay much to how long things took. We always use a porter at the airport. He gets us through all the screening quickly (remember that backpacks also need an agricultural sticker. If we have a question about weight, there are scales before you go through security. the porter will bring you to them so you can weigh your bags. I am getting a bit nervous because we have an earlier flight and using the Celebrity shuttle. Life is an adventure.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I booked our car for 8:30 am with The Limo People. One other question - we are staying in a Royal Suite - will concierge help us get through screening? Or do we need a porter? Also, we will only have carry-ons and backpacks (we don't check luggage) - I'm assuming everything goes through the agricultural screening? Thanks so much!

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I booked our car for 8:30 am with The Limo People. One other question - we are staying in a Royal Suite - will concierge help us get through screening? Or do we need a porter? Also, we will only have carry-ons and backpacks (we don't check luggage) - I'm assuming everything goes through the agricultural screening? Thanks so much!

Yes, all bags have to go through the machines (useless security....but it is what it is).

You will be at your gate by 915! (lmk how close I am)

Have a great cruise!

If I'm reading your question correctly, you might be confusing the location of the agricultural screening. It takes place at the airport, not at the pier. Everything goes thru and it's basically like an additional security screening-- a minor annoyance but neither hidden nor overly time consuming.

On the other hand, if i mis-read your question, my apologies. Regarding the pier in San Juan the MC concierge or the person she's passed us off to at the dock, has walked us to Suite luggage pickup (not an issue for you with all carry-ons!) and then we've been on our own for walking thru customs/immigration. But it's not a terribly confusing pier.

If I'm reading your question correctly, you might be confusing the location of the agricultural screening. It takes place at the airport, not at the pier. Everything goes thru and it's basically like an additional security screening-- a minor annoyance but neither hidden nor overly time consuming.

On the other hand, if i mis-read your question, my apologies. Regarding the pier in San Juan the MC concierge or the person she's passed us off to at the dock, has walked us to Suite luggage pickup (not an issue for you with all carry-ons!) and then we've been on our own for walking thru customs/immigration. But it's not a terribly confusing pier.

Aha!!! Got it! Yes, I was completely confused! Customs, immigration at pier and agricultural screening at airport. Thank you all SO much!

So, here's another question. If we are meeting our car at 8:30 am, at what time should we be heading off the ship? I'm just not sure how long it takes to get through customs/immigration at the port.

Aha!!! Got it! Yes, I was completely confused! Customs, immigration at pier and agricultural screening at airport. Thank you all SO much!

So, here's another question. If we are meeting our car at 8:30 am, at what time should we be heading off the ship? I'm just not sure how long it takes to get through customs/immigration at the port.

I'd suggest that you touch base with the MC Concierge at some point during the cruise. (s)he will be able to help you gauge things so that you enjoy the lowest stress disembarkation that you can.

I am disembarking Summit on October 27, also in a RS, also being picked up by The Limo People at 8:30. My plan is to get off the ship at 8 am, pick up my 1 suitcase, and get a porter. Even though I only have 1 suitcase and can definitely manage without a porter, last Oct I disembarked after the repo cruise and used a porter and DEFINITELY went to the front of the line to go through Customs/Immigration at the pier. I will post my experiences with timing when I return on October 27.

I also used a porter at the airport and went through Agricultural Screening and checked my bag in with Delta in a matter of minutes.

Last year my reasoning for using a porter was two-fold: it definitely sped up the process but more importantly it was right after the hurricane and I thought the porters could use the extra cash so I tipped generously. I have the same line of thinking this year because I know San Juan and the entire island are still trying to recover from last year’s hurricane. Let’s face it....if I can afford a cruise I can also afford generous tips to the folks in San Juan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jcpc

I am disembarking Summit on October 27, also in a RS, also being picked up by The Limo People at 8:30. My plan is to get off the ship at 8 am, pick up my 1 suitcase, and get a porter. Even though I only have 1 suitcase and can definitely manage without a porter, last Oct I disembarked after the repo cruise and used a porter and DEFINITELY went to the front of the line to go through Customs/Immigration at the pier. I will post my experiences with timing when I return on October 27.

I also used a porter at the airport and went through Agricultural Screening and checked my bag in with Delta in a matter of minutes.

Last year my reasoning for using a porter was two-fold: it definitely sped up the process but more importantly it was right after the hurricane and I thought the porters could use the extra cash so I tipped generously. I have the same line of thinking this year because I know San Juan and the entire island are still trying to recover from last year’s hurricane. Let’s face it....if I can afford a cruise I can also afford generous tips to the folks in San Juan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the tip on employing the porters. And your sentiment is lovely. I will take your advice :)