Real option

cruisin1982

What can I expect from a Disney cruise do parents discipline their children or let them run wild. I love seeing kids have fun. But out of control is different. I read that Disney don’t even enforce the adult only areas. Allowing teens in the pools and hot tubs. That is what is wrong with society today how do we expect kids to follow the rules if parents don’t enforce them. Don’t get me wrong we love the whole Disney thing. My concern is parents thinking they paid good money for the cruise that their kids can do whatever they want

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What can I expect from a Disney cruise do parents discipline their children or let them run wild. I love seeing kids have fun. But out of control is different. I read that Disney don’t even enforce the adult only areas. Allowing teens in the pools and hot tubs. That is what is wrong with society today how do we expect kids to follow the rules if parents don’t enforce them. Don’t get me wrong we love the whole Disney thing. My concern is parents thinking they paid good money for the cruise that their kids can do whatever they want

I've seen DCL enforce the adult only hot tubs and pools many times when I'm onboard. I've seen lounge personnel run under 18s out of the lounges after "curfew". I've also seen a mom take her 2 year old into Cove Cafe "just a quick stop for a coffee", and the CM there did nothing.

Are there kids running amok? Some do. Are there parents who take a vacation from minding their kids? Yes. Is it a mad house? It can be. Will it happen on your cruise? Probably not. But it could.

My daughter reports that the CMs do a good job telling kids not to run when in the OC. The most disruptive thing I’ve seen kids do is run up and down the halls screaming while I’m trying nap or sleep in my cabin, but it’s a fleeting moment of my vacation so it doesn’t bother me. If you don’t want to see excited and overtired kids, then DCL is not for you. I’ve yet to see a kid have a meltdown in the MDRs. I’m not in the adults only area a whole lot, but I know they don’t stop kids from walking through to the other side of the ship. Frankly, putting the adults only area midship was poor planning on DCLs part, if you ask me. For the record we will be taking our 13th DCL cruise next week, so I am speaking from experience.

The majority of parents are likely remaining involved with their kids and enforcing DCL stated rules, at least to some extent. The problem is that it takes only a small percentage of tweens and teens running wild to ruin the experience for many of us.

Yes, I've seen 6 year olds fished out of the Quiet Cove (adult only) pool AFTER I pointed it out to the CM. But I've also seen kids walking, running, and skating thru adult only areas. I've seen parents bring kids into the Cove Cafe and had nothing said to them by the CMs working there. Interesting, since at least on the Dream and Fantasy the Vista Cafe is the same concept in a family area, while the Cove is an adult area. I've seen kids totally trashing the beverage station and soft ice cream area so quickly that the assigned CM couldn't keep up with the mess. I've seen the stealing from host carts and server stations, sometimes while the parents sat at a nearby table and ignored them (problem number 1 there was placing the children at a separate table from the adults). And I've seen kids running around the dining room, throwing chocolate sundaes, etc. while the parents did nothing.

I've seen the ACD stop a show in the nightclub area until a parent removed their young child, CMs get a translator when a family on Serenity Bay pretended to not speak English (they did...I'd seen them around the ship!), and parents walk their children thru an adult area telling them to WALK and that this was a "quiet area." I don't like that, but DCL allows it.

So yes, you can expect a more bad kid behavior on DCL than I've encountered on other lines....and more "bad parent" behavior as parents allow their kids to do anything they wish. We try to limit it by cruising when traditional schools are in session and planning cruises of longer than a week. Sorry, but there is no way to predict in advance what the kid behavior issues may or may not be on your cruise.

Princess issued a great letter on our summer cruise, clearly spelling out the rules and that parents were 100% responsible for the behavior of their children....and that penalties up to and including the family being disembarked at the next port could result if the children were causing problems! It was written nicely, but the intent was totally clear.

We just took our 5th Disney cruise in May. It was our first on the Dream, we have only been on the classic ships before that and have 2 more booked on the Wonder. On the Dream, was the first time the kids were ever an issue on Disney. It's a much bigger ship and very crowded. Also, the 3 days are mostly on the weekend so if you live close by, your children won't miss much school. There was screaming in the halls and kids pressing every floor on the elevators. And, don't ever get off and walk across Deck 5, lol!

Is this a sincere question or a social commentary? If you feel that there is something wrong with society and parents/Disney don't enforce rules for kids, then you should probably think twice about going on a Disney ship that's going to have high proportion of kids and parents.

Disney does (at least sometimes) enforce ages in adult-only areas. When my family (younger kids) did a back-to-back, we got a notice in the cabin that we could get refreshments in Quiet Cove before general boarding on the port day. Since there isn't a whole lot to do before the ship opens up completely, we went to Quiet Cove. We weren't running amok. We were sitting on lounge chairs. Regardless, we were in an adult-only area. A CM promptly told us (nicely) that the area was adult-only. I would have argued about the note, but, let's be honest, we really weren't that hungry since Disney had already fed us that morning.

Trust me we have 2 grandkids 4 and 2 I know melt downs. But when they misbehave their parents correct them. As I said before I love seeing kids have fun and I don’t blame the children as they don’t know better it’s the parents that are the problem. I truly appreciate the reply’s. I feel they were honest. As I have said before we will go with the flow and it’s got to be better than any day at work

Considering the number of kids onboard, I haven’t found it to be a huge issue. However.... we have seen parents completely oblivious to the behavior of their kids. As noted already, the ice cream station is sometimes a mess. On our last cruise our servers had our table and one other with a large family group. The kids were allowed to run around the table, up and down the aisles, and crawl under the table in the MDR every night. The parents didn’t once tell them to sit down and behave.

I've had mixed experiences on Disney cruises. The most recent cruise I took was near a Spring Break period, so not surprisingly there were a lot of kids on board. The main issue I had was kids running the public areas and nearly slamming in people, and just a general lack of manners, like cutting in lines and reaching in front of people to help themselves at the buffet. I saw that over and over again. And I saw a kid using a go pro to film him self running down stairs. It seemed to be mainly kids whose parents thought they were old enough to be unsupervised, but who really needed an adult to keep them in line.

Disney does (at least sometimes) enforce ages in adult-only areas. When my family (younger kids) did a back-to-back, we got a notice in the cabin that we could get refreshments in Quiet Cove before general boarding on the port day. Since there isn't a whole lot to do before the ship opens up completely, we went to Quiet Cove. We weren't running amok. We were sitting on lounge chairs. Regardless, we were in an adult-only area. A CM promptly told us (nicely) that the area was adult-only. I would have argued about the note, but, let's be honest, we really weren't that hungry since Disney had already fed us that morning.

This was, unfortunately, an error on the part of one CM. We have gotten the same letter, and it clearly states that this is the only time the Cove Cafe is open to children, and that extends until boarding of the ship begins. Our letter did not say that the Quiet Cove area was open to children, only the Cove Cafe. On cruises where there have been large numbers of B2Bs, there was a second food outlet set up in the Promenade lounge for families with children. But as you noted.....we'd just had breakfast and lunch was soon to be served.

Yes, there is some enforcement, sometimes. Some areas are better enforced than others. But enforcement of "adult only" areas is not close to 100% in all areas, and the Quiet Cove seems to be the least enforced.

To the grandparent who posted above,

Kids learn quickly when exposed to a parent with a philosophy that the child will behave or will be removed from a public area. It sounds like your children understand that and enforce it with your grands. If a child can't or won't remain in their seat in the dining room and behave appropriately, the parent should remove them. The server will pack up the parent's meal and send it to the cabin. Same for any public area where they choose to act out. One warning, then remove the child. I only had to do it once with my child.

My brother will not go on DCL stating “ sorry, too many rug rats, I just won’t go”. So, we went on his preferred cruise line and we felt like we were in a senior living center (partially due to time of year). On that cruise, some of these older adults were quite rude - just insert “older adult” for “children” in some of the issues noted in in prior comments.

So, we have mostly continued to sail DCL. Yes, there are children, but I really don’t see that much “bad” behavior. And the adult venues are generally respected as such. The only annoying behavior that sort of gets to us is rowdy, loud, hanging out in the hallways, and especially the stairwells. (And not on all cruises). We bring a sound machine to counter the hallway noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My brother will not go on DCL stating “ sorry, too many rug rats, I just won’t go”. So, we went on his preferred cruise line and we felt like we were in a senior living center (partially due to time of year). On that cruise, some of these older adults were quite rude - just insert “older adult” for “children” in some of the issues noted in in prior comments.

So, we have mostly continued to sail DCL. Yes, there are children, but I really don’t see that much “bad” behavior. And the adult venues are generally respected as such. The only annoying behavior that sort of gets to us is rowdy, loud, hanging out in the hallways, and especially the stairwells. (And not on all cruises). We bring a sound machine to counter the hallway noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

"senior living center"....LOL!!!!!!!!!