Rome to Monte Carlo on Riviera Live

hillsprint

Thanks so much for all your posts! We are doing the same itinerary on Nov 2 on the Marina. Loved your last pic at Monte Carlo so was just wondering if I should pick a certain side of the ship for my cabin? I booked a concierge guarantee but now I'm getting worried I won't get the side with a view.

Thanks so much for all your posts! We are doing the same itinerary on Nov 2 on the Marina. Loved your last pic at Monte Carlo so was just wondering if I should pick a certain side of the ship for my cabin? I booked a concierge guarantee but now I'm getting worried I won't get the side with a view.

We had this view from our starboard side veranda room when we were there on the Riviera in 2016. The pier was on the port side. you can see that on the Toms Port Guides (photo in Jim's post above): http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/monaco-06-20-2012.pdf

We had this view from our starboard side veranda room when we were there on the Riviera in 2016. The pier was on the port side. you can see that on the Toms Port Guides (photo in Jim's post above): http://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/monaco-06-20-2012.pdf

emerald-princess-cruise-ship.jpgmonaco--v18415940-cc-720.jpg

Yes, but ships may be berthed both bow in AND bow out, so it isn't predictable which side will have the view....

Paul

Some private transfers got in to beside the gangway. Others were then picking folk up at the Entrance to the Cruise Terminal, which was about a 100 yd walk. However there were Port workers who were helping folk move their luggage, they wear a white t-shirt with a red logo on it. We booked Friends in France for our transfer, the driver phoned about 10mins out and then when he was close to the Terminal. The transfer to Nice Airport was just over 30mins.

Cheers

Michael

ORV abd Mike... thanks I have booked a private car/driver Monaco to Nice Airport to pick up a rental car ( it cost 40% less to rent in Nice) Hope to be on the road out of Nice by 0900. Thanks everyone

Riviera seems to berth pointing out, however a word of caution. We picked the Port side of the ship to get the view, however on the full day in MC, the ship was anchored at sea ( despite as I mentioned the O itinerary stating it was in port). When anchored the ship consistently pointed due East meaning that the Port side was facing out to sea and also had very poor/ none phone signal.

Now where the ship points at anchor depends on the winds and tides, so it may swing about or it may not.

So you are only in the harbour from late at night until you get off to disembark, unless you are on a B2B.

So Buyer Beware ;)

Paul

Some private transfers got in to beside the gangway. Others were then picking folk up at the Entrance to the Cruise Terminal, which was about a 100 yd walk. However there were Port workers who were helping folk move their luggage, they wear a white t-shirt with a red logo on it. We booked Friends in France for our transfer, the driver phoned about 10mins out and then when he was close to the Terminal. The transfer to Nice Airport was just over 30mins.

Cheers

Michael

Thank you Michael,

It sounds like it should work out just fine.

Safe travels home.

Thanks Michael for taking the time to post amazing photos and great insight into the ports and plenty of great ideas of what to do in each port and names of preferred cafes etc. haven't sailed on Oceania for a few years now, but think it's about time I spoiled myself and get back to Oceania.

What a wonderful blog, thank you Michael! We were on the same cruise, possibly we met as I played the games with my sister and niece. It was a wonderful cruise and the ship and staff were as good as ever! Must admit to missing it though, the afternoon tea, and morning barista bar. Oh well, back to real life!!

Great review and beautiful pics!

We are not doing this itinerary, but will be on the Riviera in 2 months (well, 1 month and 24 days, but who’s counting 😁), so your comments on the ship, meals, service, etc are very much appreciated!

Thank you!

N

firsttimers68, yes I think our paths did cross at the Baggo/putting/shuffleboard/golf/quiz, it was great to meet you, Did you have to pay for extra baggage for all the O Points merchandise you got? :)

Go Barflies,

Haha no but my niece was so pleased with all her:D goodies! It was their first time cruising and they loved it.

We were also on this cruise, though from Venice. I noticed that the OP just went into town in Olbia, so thought that for anybody else who does this itinerary in the future, I would mention that we did an excellent tour with Claudio of Sardinian Discovery, http://www.sardiniandiscovery.com, in his well air-conditioned 4X4. The tour was 7 hours long and we paid 300 euros. He was a very good guide with excellent English and will tailor the tour to suit you. Having a 4 wheel drive vehicle enabled us to drive up the local mountain for great views. We visited Porto Cervo, nuraghi (Neolithic remains), beaches, and a lovely village where he lives, San Pantaleo, for a pizza lunch. He also does kayaking tours for the more adventurous among you!

And if anybody goes to Catania, I really recommend Streaty Food Tours. This was an absolutely fantastic tour for little money, including all the food and drink. About a ten minute walk from the port to the meeting place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
+1

Michael - thank you for the posts and pictures. This is an itinerary that we will be doing in Oct on Marina so I am following with interest.

+2 for Michael! How generous of you to take the time on your wonderful sailing to inform us all! Also doing the 21 day sailing on Marina in October.

Dumb question of the day award, but if I don't ask I'd be wrong, having never cruised the Med: The values expressed on the menus, are in euros, correct? (I'm trying to absorb the sticker shock, but I will feel 14% better if someone tells me they're in USD for some reason, rather than euros.)

HI if you are referring to menus in cafes, tavernas etc yes they will be in Euros for those countries that demonisation is Euro, but some countries have their own currency Croatia for example. Is that what you were after?

Cheers V

What menu are you talking about? Only La Reserve and Privee have a cost attached.

In any case, the amounts are in U.S. Dollars.

The posts immediate prior to yours seem to have been talking about tours -- and yes, usually those are in euros. (Or the local currency, whatever it is. In some countries, such as when we did the Black Sea cruise a while back, the guides preferred U.S. dollars ... cash.)

Mura

Dumb question of the day award, but if I don't ask I'd be wrong, having never cruised the Med: The values expressed on the menus, are in euros, correct? (I'm trying to absorb the sticker shock, but I will feel 14% better if someone tells me they're in USD for some reason, rather than euros.)

Prices onboard the ship are in USD

What menu are you talking about? Only La Reserve and Privee have a cost attached.

In any case, the amounts are in U.S. Dollars.

The posts immediate prior to yours seem to have been talking about tours -- and yes, usually those are in euros. (Or the local currency, whatever it is. In some countries, such as when we did the Black Sea cruise a while back, the guides preferred U.S. dollars ... cash.)

Mura

Thanks Mura; I should have been more explicit. I was referring to some of the menus depicted in the photographs in this thread, for example, the Waves bar menu here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56857298&postcount=2

...but I'm clear now that the on-board pricing appears in USD, whereas everything off-ship is (obviously) almost certainly going to be in euros or whatever the local currency is.

Thanks all for the input! I feel 14% better! :p

Edited by hindenbu