Veendam or Rotterdam for hubby's first cruise

CCwashashore

Either, though for a first cruise though I do like the smaller size of the Veendam. Fewer people in port with you is always a bonus. Even by only a few fewer. This is a great itinerary for a first cruise so you can't go wrong.

Rotterdam for sure !!! She is the co-flagship of the fleet and has one of the best and most experienced crews. She is in great shape. She is just the right size, has the mid-ship elevator but not so big. Not a lot of negative reports about A/C or plumbing or mechanical issues.

Rotterdam.

I will never sail the Veendam again. 1. Only 2 elevator bays. Creates crowds at times such as embark, disembark, dinner, and show time.

2. The seating in the showroom balcony is virtually uninhabitable. This crowds up the lower showroom seating.

There’s more but that’s enough.

Rotterdam would be my choice as well.

Unfortunately both the afts of these two ships were changed, but Rotterdam IMO is better than Veendam.

Crew on our sailing were wonderful and the ship has a lot of gorgeous art if you like history.

Oh I'm liking this thread - I just decided to do a New England / Canada cruise and had to choose between these two ships. I went with the Rotterdam - glad to see such enthusiasm about the ship and her crew.

Unfortunately both the afts of these two ships were changed, but Rotterdam IMO is better than Veendam.

Veendam aft section has four hot tubs on a raised platform. My Veendam July trip had those hot tubs very busy. The Rotterdam has a wading pool with lounger chairs. During the July Viking Passage, the section was always dry and the chairs 99% empty. You will have to make best guess of how those July observations will translate to Canada New England in autumn. I posted some pics on a recent thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Veendam aft section has four hot tubs on a raised platform. My Veendam July trip had those hot tubs very busy. The Rotterdam has a wading pool with lounger chairs. During the July Viking Passage, the section was always dry and the chairs 99% empty. You will have to make best guess of how those July observations will translate to Canada New England in autumn. I posted some pics on a recent thread.

Agree, the Veendam aft area is now better than the Rotterdam splash pool. Those Veendam rectangular "hot tubs" are almost small paddle pools since they are much larger than a standard hot tub. The extra elevator on the Rotterdam does make a difference that can depend on where you cabin is and how often you need/want to use an elevator.

Usually the most congestion is when an event in the showroom lets out and the forward elevator gets the heaviest use - we learned to walk towards the back of the ship for that bank of elevators which was less immediately impacted. when the showroom let out.

There was more table space outdoors on the aft deck on the Rotterdam; Veendam was more cramped but it did have a NY pizza back there (as I remember?). I just liked the relative smallness of the Veendam when visiting the more intimate ports on the NE route.

I think the Veendam aft is awful. I cannot think of one positive about it.

and those tub things block all views which is partiicularly annoying for parts of Canada/ NE cruises

Edited by sail7seas

Both Veendam and Rotterdam are doing the same New England/Canada itinerary. Would you recommend one over the other for my hubby's first cruise? If so, why?

Thanks!

We were on the Veendam twice .The first time it was great ,the last time it was terrible .Having never been on the Rotterdam I would suggest it.

We were on the Veendam twice .The first time it was great ,the last time it was terrible .Having never been on the Rotterdam I would suggest it.

When was the las time on Veendam you reference ?

We're on the Sept 1st Montreal to Boston. I've always wanted to do a nice long TA but hubby's never cruised before and wants to keep an eye on land his first time out so I thought this itinerary might be a good one to get his feet wet so to speak ;)

Takes another layer of work when choosing between ships or itineraries is to look at who will also be in port on the same days. Sometimes you will find several mega ships in port that same day, or none at all. Depending on your preferences, if you like crowds or like less impact, this too can help make a difference when making your final choice -particularly when looking at heavily trafficked and popular itineraries.

We're on the Sept 1st Montreal to Boston. I've always wanted to do a nice long TA but hubby's never cruised before and wants to keep an eye on land his first time out so I thought this itinerary might be a good one to get his feet wet so to speak ;)

On Sept 1 you will board thru Berth T1 in Montreal. Look at a different section of this port website to see the maps. http:// https://www.port-montreal.com/en/cruise-vessels-schedule.html