Any River Cruises cancelled due to low water?

Morgans

Drove along the Danube this morning, from Passau to Vilshofen, it's looking good. Didn't see one shingle bank, as one see further up stream.

Even if things remain as there are, there may be shallow water around Budapest, bu it should be plain sailing from Vienna to Vilshofen.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for the update. Of course Vienna is 3 days in. We will make the absolute best of it. Vacation is better than work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were due to leave today on a Riviera cruise from Cologne, but received news early Saturday morning that it'd been cancelled. As we were about to fly from Manchester to Cologne for three days pre cruise and are from Australia with post cruise bookings, there was not much we could do, other than continue and then make alternative plans from Cologne.

Not that easy in a country where you don't speak the language and only have limited knowledge of the geography!

Jay2018,

Sorry to read that. And welcome to cruisecritic. I hope we can help you in your situation a bit. I will give it a try. If I have understood it correctly you will travel to Cologne soon. In Cologne there is much to see and in a building site they have even found recently what seems to be the oldest library building in Germany. If you want to see the Rhine gorge you can do this as a long day trip from Cologne with train and then excursion boat from Koblenz. Phone Koblenz Touristik for times of sailings. They will speak English. Or you could head to the Moselle. Happy to assist further if you like when I am on my computer, I am on my smartphone with limited time and access right now.

I hope you can enjoy the Rhine valley.

notamermaid

Thank you, notamermaid. What a kind offer! However we were on our way to Cologne when we found out, so spent the first day and a half of our three days there sourcing info and are now on a train to Karlsruhe for 5 days, followed by an extra 2 days in Basel before resuming our planned itinerary.

Wish our cruise company and travel agent were as helpful as you though!

Kind regards, Jay2018.

Uniworld from Frankfurt to Amsterdam departing 25th August cancelled today......

Very disappointed😥

So sorry about that. That is not very much notice to make other plans. I keep calling Uniworld about my Sep. 9th cruise , Amsterdam to Basel, and they say no cruises have been cancelled. Very dishonest.

Did they fully refund ?

Thanks. Offered a) full refund b) transfer to other date in 2018/2019 or c) transfer to Paris Seine experience on same dates. Still considering but probably will go for c)

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you have good options.

Thanks. Offered a) full refund b) transfer to other date in 2018/2019 or c) transfer to Paris Seine experience on same dates. Still considering but probably will go for c)

I can give my full endorsement to the Paris-Normandy cruise on Uniworld. We ended up on this itinerary in March, when our Rhone cruise was canceled, due to lock repairs lasting longer than expected. We had already done this itinerary 3 years before, but were able to do all different excursions this time, including Mont St. Michel and golf at Etretat. The ship is simply gorgeous, as well.

Robin

wow, we were lucky. Our cruise was Budapest to Prague...... July 11-23rd . We only had to change ships once and then couldn't get into Nuremberg. Was disappointed about that, but Avalon gave everyone a couple hundred $ refund to credit card and offered free excursions that day instead. They did have to bus us to Prague from Passau but again they took very good care of us. They seemed to be very "pro-active" before the situation arose.

There were 10 of us and we all agreed that it was a great cruise.

Every year it seems to be getting worse.

We are on the AMAViola on sept07 as well. Let’s hope for minimal disruption. It’s our first river cruise!

We are booked on the AmaViola on Sept 7th from Budapest to Vilshofen. Cautiously optimistic that we will be minimally impacted based on what i’ve read in this thread.

We are in Berlin, Prague and Budspest for a week pre-cruise. If plans change with Ama we will have to turn it into an all land vacation as we spend 3 nights in Iceland post cruise.

Thoughts with everyone that is having their vacations impacted.

We are on the AMAViola on sept07 as well. Let’s hope for minimal disruption. It’s our first river cruise!

Fingers crossed. Will make the best of it.

A dear friend just had his Vantage cruise out of Bucharest cancelled today. They were scheduled to leave on Friday 8/24.

We were notified by Grand Circle on Aug 16 that our Aug 29 Budapest to Bucharest cruise was canceled. All monies (including that paid for trip insurance) will be refunded. We received a $500 each credit for a future trip (land, ocean, or river) valid for two years. Since the Aria is “trapped” above Budapest, there were no other options for the company to accommodate us. Very disappointing, but understandable in these conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off my AmaPrimaCerto Cruise Nuremberg to Budapest (Aug 11-18). We did the ship swap - no biggie at all, and our cruise manager Nick was THE BEST! Came up with different shore excursions on the fly, and minimal disruption to passengers.

Just off my AmaPrimaCerto Cruise Nuremberg to Budapest (Aug 11-18). We did the ship swap - no biggie at all, and our cruise manager Nick was THE BEST! Came up with different shore excursions on the fly, and minimal disruption to passengers.

Were you able to go all the way to Budapest on the ship?

I would be ok with a ship swap if it meant we could go on with most of the same itinerary.

Did you know in advance of getting on the ship? We sail out of Budapest on the Ama Viola on 9/7

Were you able to go all the way to Budapest on the ship?

My business partner is on the AMA Certo right now. His cruise started in Komárom instead of Budapest and won't make it to Nuremberg where it was suppose to end this Saturday. Some guests will debark tomorrow in Vilshofen and stay overnight in Nuremberg, the rest will stay on the ship and sail to Passau. We are doing this itinerary at the end of September, hoping for minimal disruptions.

Komarom daily 2 pdf.pdf

daily cruiser komarom 1-pdf.pdf

We were booked on Uniworld Bucharest to Budapest 27 August to 5 September.

Yesterday we were advised that it has been cancelled. We are in the process of reorganising flights and accommodation to do something else.

Have just been advised that they are thinking about reinstating it, but won't decide until Tuesday. Apparently there is rain expected over the weekend.

We are sticking with our reorganised plans. If we reinstate plan A they could still decide in a few days time to re cancel if the expected rain does not arrive!!

We are in New Zealand and due to leave for Europe this Sunday.

I realise water levels are beyond their control, but this inability to decide whether they are operating or not is no good for the travellers!

We are on the same cruise as you and also from NZ! What did you do instead of the cruise? As I understand it, if we cancel there is no refund, but if they cancel there is a refund. So, right now, we are still heading to London tonight and Bucharest as planned. Fingers crossed it still goes ahead.

We are already in Romania and have received no notice that the cruise has been canceled. How were you notified, directly or through your TA?

Can’t understand how some might be notified and others not!

We spoke with the Uniworld rep in Bucharest last night and she had no such information!