Long Trip Report - 5 Days DIY land & SB Coral Princess Whittier to Vancouver 7/25-8/1

JerseyShoreGirl0732

Great trip report and photos! Thx for taking the time to post. It's so refreshing to see the different activities that travellers are able to discover when they organize a DIY land trip.

Please add your report to the 2018 Trip Report above. It will be a great resource for future travellers as they research for their own trips.

Alaska Day 4 - Homer (Continued)

Halibut Cove is a quintessential Alaskan waterfront town. Most, if not all, of the houses are on stilts and built into the mountainsides. I enjoy watching Buying Alaska so I had an idea of what to expect.

The Saltry is truly unique. It has it’s own private dock and you can only get there on the Danny J water taxi. The sole purpose of the Danny J is to transport patrons to The Saltry. They have 2 seatings daily; lunch and dinner.

The_Saltry.jpg

We chose a table by the fire as it was a bit chilly and all seating is outside. The service was great and the drinks and food were even better.

The view from our table

View_from_table.jpg

After lunch we wandered around the boardwalk that was accessible from the restaurant.

Just off the boardwalk and up a staircase was the Cove Gallery. We browsed around admiring art work created by local artists. No one was working there at the time so any purchases made were to use the honor system. I did purchase some note cards and left cash in an envelope. Paypal was also an option.

Halibut_Cove_boardwalk.jpg

On our way back to the Saltry dock we stopped in the coffee shop on the boardwalk. I had a regular cup of joe and it was delicious.

View of Halibut Cove

Halibut_Cove_from_trail.jpg

I took this photo of a house under construction. There is a dog on the deck!

Doggie_on_the_deck.jpg

Halibut Cove is such a unique place, I’m glad we spent the afternoon there.

Back in Homer we met up with the Pete and Sean. I couldn’t wait to hear about their fishing adventure. We sat along the dock, exchanged stories about the day and then headed back to the cottage.

I noticed this very Alaskan RV near the dock.

Alaska_RV.jpg

After showers it was back to the Spit for some shopping before dinner at the Little Mermaid. We had an 8pm reservation.

I enjoy looking for locally made items and found a few shops with Alaskan goods. I didn’t buy much knowing we already had an overweight bag when we departed NJ.

We were able to get into the Little Mermaid a few minutes early. This was our best meal so far in Alaska, and the service was outstanding! We ordered a couple of appetizers that were specials, a margherita pizza, and other entrees but I really can’t remember what they were! Everything was delicious.

We didn't see the sun during our time in Homer. This was a bummer because the view across the Cook Inlet was pretty incredible (from what we had seen driving in). That being said, the weather wasn’t bad either. I continuously checked the forecast in the days leading up to our trip. Each day had the 'cloud with rain' icon. So far we hadn't had a drop of rain.

Great trip report and photos! Thx for taking the time to post. It's so refreshing to see the different activities that travellers are able to discover when they organize a DIY land trip.

Please add your report to the 2018 Trip Report above. It will be a great resource for future travellers as they research for their own trips.

Thank you! I will definitely add my report to 2018 Trip Reports once I finish it. Hopefully it won't take me too much longer.

Alaska Day 5 –Drive to Girdwood

Our good weather luck had run out, but of all the days to have rain, this was the one. Most of the day was spent in the car making our way to the final stop of the land portion of our trip, the Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood.

Before leaving Homer, we stopped in the local canvas store, Nomar. Everything is made onsite. We purchased a large duffel bag and a can of bear spray. Now we had nice souvenir from Homer and would hopefully avoid overweight baggage fees on our return flight.

I was hoping to stop in Anchor Point to get some photos of the volcanoes across Cook Inlet, but we were socked in by heavy clouds. One amazing sight we did get to see was a moose crossing the road in front of us. He was a little too quick, no one was able to snap a photo.

Our plan was to break the drive up with a hike and lunch in Cooper Landing. We were hoping to eat at the Kingfisher Roadhouse but it was closed. We ended up at the Sunrise Cafe just up the road. This place was great! Lots on the menu, food was good, and our server was very friendly. The place was packed.

The rain stopped so we decided to drive off the Sterling Highway and take the Skilak Lake Rd through the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge and find a trail to hike.

The Milepost has an entire page dedicated to Skilak Lake Road. It’s a 19-mile gravel road that loops off the Sterling Highway at milepost 75 and back on at milepost 58. I also had the book 50 Hikes in Alaska's Kenai Peninsula and highlighted a couple of hikes in this area.

We decided on the Bear Mountain trail. It was a moderate, steep, 2-mile round trip hike. Seeing another car in the parking lot put me at ease knowing there were others on the trail. The Milepost described this as a ‘scenic view of Skilak Lake and probable wildlife sightings’.

Bear_Mt_Trail_sign.jpg

Early on we saw the other hikers on the trail. They were heading back to their car. Now it was just us. Shannon sang loudly and mostly off key. We were confident any wildlife in the area were running for the hills.

Bear_Mountain_Trail.jpg

The view of Skilak Lake

Skilak_Lake_view_from_Bear_Mt.jpg

About 50 minutes in, we were feeling a little uneasy as the trail began to look noticeably less traveled. We had to be close to the turnaround, but decided not to go any further. Making the descent quickly, we arrived at the car and all breathed a sigh of relief... no bear encounters!

Across the street from the parking lot gave us a nice view of the lake. We took some photos and then continued our drive.

Skilak_Lake_from_road.jpg

We pulled off at the Hidden Creek Overlook to take in the beautiful view. Another group was there taking photos and we began talking to them. They told us they just saw 2 bears a couple miles in the direction we were traveling. This was exciting! There was a chance I’d get to see a bear.

Hidden Creek

Hidden_Creek_Overlook.jpg

Pete drove very slowly as we approached the area where the others had their sighting. As we came around a bend, we saw a momma brown bear with 2 cubs crossing the road! How exciting!

1st_bear_sighting.jpg

Alaska Day 5 –Drive to Girdwood (Continued)

The photos were taken through the windshield of the car. They are a blurry, but better than nothing. There was not a lot of time to steady the camera and point it out an open window. The bears disappeared into the woods rather quickly.

blurry_bears.jpg

Bears tracks

bear_tracks_on_the_road.jpg

About a half mile down the road we spotted a black bear grazing on the side of the road. This bear was smaller than the momma brown bear and didn’t seem to be bothered by us driving by. I was able to snap photos and get a video. We also spotted 2 other black bears down in the creek off the side of the road. It was hard to get a good view because of the tree cover and we certainly were not getting out of the car for a closer look!

2nd_bear_sighting.jpg

The next stop was the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It was late in the day but the worker at the entrance gate assured us we had plenty of time to walk around as opposed to driving through.

We parked the car and went over to the reindeer area. None of us had seen reindeer before.

reindeer.jpg

Next were the moose and then the bears. We spent a majority of our time there. The bears had just eaten and were very active. The brown bear in the photo below was huge! I loved reading the notes about how all the animals ended up there. It was very interesting. We spent a lot of time looking at the Wood Bison too. They were entertaining.

brown_bear_AWCC.jpg

Aside from the animals, there were views of a few glaciers from the Wildlife Conservation Center. In the end we were all happy that we walked around instead of doing a drive through.

glacier_view_from_AWCC.jpg

We finally arrived at the Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood for our final night before boarding the cruise ship.

After getting settled in our room on the 7th floor, it was off to the town laundromat to wash some clothes. It was a busy place and conveniently located next to the Herb Cache and Chair 5. Chair 5 was packed, but we managed to get one bar stool and had a quick drink before we heading back to the laundromat.

It was late when we went back to the hotel. There were several restaurants closed (I think because it was Tuesday) so we opted to have dinner at the Aurora Bar & Grill in the hotel. It was a nice place and the food was good.

We wandered around the hotel for a bit and turned in early. The next morning would be an early wake up. Our plan was to hike the Winner Creek Trail before check out. I hoped we would be able to take the Alyeska tram, but we just couldn't fit it in.

Super fun to see your photos from Lake Skilak Road! You know that's where we were camping for two nights. We only saw one bear on the road! Very exciting view you had! We thought similarly...it's good to view bears from the safety of a car!

Yes Anita, I read about your camping adventure! That cabin looked cool, but I don't know if I would have slept a wink. I'm surprised you only saw one bear during your stay, but happy it was from your car.

I think you and I have an almost identical photo from the Hidden Creek Overlook. I also noticed you went to the Seward Brewing Company based on your guide's recommendation... we did the same (based on the cabin owner's recommendation).

Yes Anita, I read about your camping adventure! That cabin looked cool, but I don't know if I would have slept a wink. I'm surprised you only saw one bear during your stay, but happy it was from your car.

I think you and I have an almost identical photo from the Hidden Creek Overlook. I also noticed you went to the Seward Brewing Company based on your guide's recommendation... we did the same (based on the cabin owner's recommendation).

We do have nearly identical photos of that overlook! So fun to see someone else doing a land tour on the Kenai Peninsula...so often, people try to add on Denali, but we just couldn't bear to do that. We had the same thoughts as you...the cost benefit wasn't there...we needed more time than we had to really enjoy Denali the way we would want to.

I read that about your Exit Glacier Guide recommendation...makes sense as Exit Glacier Guides and Liquid Adventures are partner businesses. The workers probably all know each other...it felt like everyone knew everyone in the business when we were there.

We also stopped at the Sunrise Cafe...or whatever that was. Only we just used the bathroom! We purchased some drinks from the convenience store in the same parking lot so that we would be customers! And I think we might have added a tip to the collection...I think that was the place that had one to help pay for their septic tank costs. ;p

Day 6 – Girdwood &Coral Princess Embarkation, Whittier, AK

Embarkation Day! I booked this cruise exactly one year ago to the day of embarkation. The year flew by. I was very much looking forward to boarding the Coral Princess and unpacking for 7 days.

Before we headed to the port, we had more to explore. We arrived at the Hotel Alyeska too late the day before to hike the Winner Creek Trail, so I decided we would get up early hike it before heading to Anchorage. This was no easy task. No one was interested in waking up at 6:30am, especially the kids. I was persistent, and they begrudgingly complied.

The Winner Creek Trail is described as an ‘easy 3-mile hike on a wide, well developed trail’. This was exactly what we were looking for after some challenging hikes the last few days. Not to mention we didn’t have lots of time. Well, the trail is wide and well developed, but it does have some noticeable elevation. It also has boardwalks and stairs over wet areas. I think we were all expecting a casual stroll through the woods, but it was more than that. Nothing strenuous, it just required a little more effort than the teens were willing to give at such an early hour.

We began at 7:15am, armed with bear spray. It really wasn’t needed as we had some pretty cranky kids that were doing a great job making noise with their complaining (I’m hungry… I thought this was a flat trail!… How long is this?... When can we have breakfast?). I was grateful there was no one else on the trail.

There is a snow cat bridge visible from the Winner Creek Trail. We all were scratching our heads trying to figure out how and why a snow cat accessed this bridge! It seemed pretty deep into the trail, and there were no wide pathways that resembled ski trails.

snow_cat_bridge.jpg

We finally made it to the hand tram (2.5 miles) and suddenly the attitudes changed. Phew!

hand_tram_sign.jpg

The tram was across the creek, so we first had to get it back to our side. It’s basic, just keep pulling the rope to move the tram.

Retreiving_tram.jpg

Sean and Shannon were first to load the 2-person tram and made it to the other side. It’s very high up over the rushing water.

Kids_loading_tram.jpg

Kids_in_hand_tram.jpg

Pete and I did get inthe tram and made it halfway across the water. I admit, I was nervous!

tram_looking_down.jpg

Day 6 – Girdwood &Coral Princess Embarkation, Whittier, AK (Continued)

A little tidbit about this trail… it was part of the running portion of an extreme triathlon that took place a few days before we were there. AlaskaMan begins with a 2.6 mile swim in Seward, a 113 mile bike to Girdwood and a 27.5 mile run (the run alone had an elevation gain of 6,400 ft!). The athletes had to cross the creek using the hand tram at mile 8. WOW!

Alaska_Man.jpg

Winner Creek Trail is also part of the Iditarod National Historic Trail.

WC_Trail_Sign.jpg

The hike back to the hotel was much more pleasant. The kids enjoyed the tram and had more enthusiasm knowing breakfast was on the horizon, although it really wasn’t.

Back in our hotel room, we showered and began to quickly pack. One of the kids was looking out the window and yelled ‘bears!’ Sure enough there was a momma black bear and 3 cubs right in the parking lot! You can see one cub behind the van.

bear_behind_van.jpg

A hotel employee was keeping everyone back as they were all trying to take pictures. We talked to a bellman about the bears when we made our way downstairs. He told us they’ve been around the hotel quite a bit and one almost made it into the lobby. Yikes!

We packed up the car one last time and headed towards Anchorage. The plan was to find a diner and have a quick breakfast. It started raining and the drive took us longer than we planned. We stopped to fill the gas tank and had a quick bite at the Subway next door. I knew Sean had his heart set on pancakes at a diner, but thankfully, he didn’t complain. He would be able to enjoy pancakes for the next 7 mornings!

Pete returned the rental car at the airport and we met our driver, Rick, in the parking lot. After weighing our transportation options, we decided on a private transfer to the cruise port with Alaskan Splendor Limo. This was a great decision.

Rick overheard me mentioning to Pete that we never had coffee that morning. He offered to stop since we were ahead of schedule. Just ahead was a wonderful bake/coffee shop in Girdwood (I cannot remember the name). It was just off the Seward Highway. Thank you Rick!

The coolest thing about the Whittier port is that you must drive through the Whittier Tunnel to get there. The tunnel is shared by the train. It is open to vehicles on the hour and half hour. We were aiming for the 2:30 opening.

tunnel.jpg

We arrived at the tunnel a few minutes early and were directed to lane 3. The sign indicated vehicles would enter the tunnel after the train. We didn't even notice the train waiting. A few minutes later the long freight train entered the tunnel. It seemed like forever by the time the last freight car passed us. Now it was our turn.

tunnel_approach.jpg

It's a very blurry photo, but you can make out the rough rock walls and train tracks.

tunnel_interior.jpg

The excitement was building! It didn’t even matter that it was raining. I was SO looking forward to unpacking and staying in the same place for 7 nights.

Day 6 – Girdwood &Coral Princess Embarkation, Whittier, AK (Continued)

While waiting to enter the tunnel, Rick told us about a rock slide that occurred in the tunnel about a month earlier. No one was injured, but the clean up took several days and the tunnel was closed. Now all I could think about was a rock slide, great.

Finally, the tunnel opens for vehicles. The process is very orderly. Lane one begins moving up to a traffic light that changes from red to green every few seconds, allowing one vehicle at a time to enter the tunnel. This process goes quickly and in no time, lane 3 is given the go ahead to enter.

I could see how there was a rock slide. It’s no Lincoln Tunnel, that’s for sure. The walls are rough, exposed rock, unlike most tunnels I’ve been through that have tiled walls. The Whittier tunnel is 2.5 miles long, which feels endless when you can’t stop worrying about a rock slide. Needless to say, we made it through the tunnel unscathed.

The port is right there as we exit the tunnel. There she is… the Coral Princess!

Coral_in_port.jpg

Rick let us out right at baggage drop off. A tent kept us sheltered from the rain as we checked our bags. From there we enter the terminal, check in, get our cruise cards, go through security and are on the ship. This took all of 20-30 minutes. So easy!

We are off to our staterooms to drop off our carry-on bags. So far, I was impressed with the Coral. We’ve only cruised twice, both times on the Disney Fantasy. I was afraid that I would regret not booking DCL, but so far, so good.

Our staterooms are standard balcony rooms on deck 11 aft, port side. I am happy with the location. The rooms are not connecting, but the room steward opened the balcony divider, so we could easily get from room to room. The closet area is very spacious, this is a plus.

stateroom.jpg

Shannon_balcony_in_port.jpg

Upon boarding, we were handed a card with an assigned dinner seating of 5:15. This was only for embarkation day to allow for the safety drill. Our luggage had not arrived before dinner, so the clothes we were wearing would have to do for the main dining room.

Pete and I had a long-awaited cocktail at Crooners before dinner. The kids met us at 5:15 and we were seated for dinner. I loved our table! It was right next to a window. Too bad this was not our table for the remainder of our trip.

1st_cocktail.jpg

One thing this report will not have is detailed descriptions of our meals. I didn’t take any photos, nor do I remember what I ate most nights. What I do remember is thoroughly enjoying the four of us sitting down for every meal during this trip. This is a rarity at home.

After dinner we headed for Muster Station 7, The Universe Lounge, for the Guest Safety Assembly. This was quick and painless. At 8:30pm we were underway. It was foggy and raining, but we didn’t mind. I slept like a baby! The beds were very comfortable.

Tomorrow: Hubbard Glacier

Loving your review! I am tentatively planning a cruise in 2021....I think it will take me that long to save up enough money to do a land tour as well as the cruise. I want to do all of my must-do's in one trip in case this truly is a once in a lifetime experience. It's fun to read reviews for new ideas, tips, etc. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Loving your review! I am tentatively planning a cruise in 2021....I think it will take me that long to save up enough money to do a land tour as well as the cruise. I want to do all of my must-do's in one trip in case this truly is a once in a lifetime experience. It's fun to read reviews for new ideas, tips, etc. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying it. You are in the right place to gather lots of good info. There is so much to choose from, narrowing it down will be the hard part. At least you have a lot of time to save and plan.

Day 7 – Yakutat Bay, Hubbard Glacier

We all had a great night’s sleep. The beds were very comfortable, and our staterooms let no light in with the drapes closed.

We decided to have breakfast in the main dining room. It was the first and last time. The service was fine, although Pete’s omelet came out almost ten minutes after our meals. Our server did let us know it would take longer when Pete placed his order. We were all pleased with our meals except for Sean. He thought the pancakes were good, the serving size was not sufficient for a 16-year-old carboholic.

After breakfast we took a walk to the Atrium to watch horse racing. Bets were $3. Eight wooden horses were moved across a grid on the floor. The number of spaces moved was determined by rolling dice. It was fun to watch. Had we gotten there earlier, I’m sure I would have placed a few bets.

The laundry room was conveniently located in the hallway across from our rooms. I still had more laundry to do after washing several loads in Girdwood. I also ironed our clothes for dinner, so I wouldn’t have to worry about it later in the day when we were gawking at glaciers.

Pete and Shannon went to the fitness room to run on treadmills, I opted for a run in the crisp air on deck 7. 2.8 laps around equals a mile. I ran 10 laps and thoroughly enjoyed the view. Sean napped.

In the afternoon we went to deck 7 to watch the pilot boat approach and drop off the Ocean Cape Pilots. We tried to be on deck for every Pilot pick up and drop off. It amazes me how quickly these transfers happen.

Pilot_boat_East_Alaska_Pilot.jpg

Shannon, Pete and I played Snowball Jackpot Bingo since we had time before our arrival at Hubbard Glacier. I’ve only played real Bingo (where you can win money or designer handbags) twice in my life. Bingo has gone high tech. We had the option to purchase paper boards and use a stamper, or a package that includes a tablet with 15+ boards loaded and a bonus paper board. We went with the package. I held the tablet and Shannon marked the paper boards with the stamper. The tablet does everything for you. It even makes noise and vibrates when you are one number away from winning.

In less than an hour, we played 4 rounds of Bingo with the last being a $1000 jackpot. The winner had to fill the entire board, but only so many numbers are called. If there is no winner, the jackpot rolls over to the next scheduled Bingo, hence the name Snowball Jackpot Bingo. No one won the jackpot. We would be back!

We were approaching Hubbard Glacier so we found a spot on deck 7 and settled in. It was overcast with low clouds, but there was no wind and it wasn’t too cold. Shannon wore flip flops all day. I wore hiking boots, jeans, a short-sleeved shirt, mid-weight fleece jacket and my Patagonia Nano Puff. I didn’t need a hat and gloves.

Shannon_flip_flops.jpg

Deck_7_viewing_spot.jpg

It’s so quiet moving through the bay with ice chunks of all shapes and sizes floating by. The shades of blue are so vibrant. It was difficult to gauge the size of the ice from the ship. They could have been the size of a boulder or a car.

Ice_1.jpg

Ice_5.jpg

Wow! Hubbard Glacier is MASSIVE! It’s the largest tidewater glacier measuring 7 ft wide, about 76 feet long and 600 feet tall with 350 above the water line. I had to add the facts because it is indescribable.

This is the only photo of the entire glacier, it was taken on our approach.

Approaching_Hubbard_Glacier.jpg

To be continued...

Day 7 – Yakutat Bay, Hubbard Glacier (Continued)

All our viewing was from our balcony, deck 7 and the aft deck 11. We didn’t go to the upper open decks at all. This glacier was just spectacular! As I read in many trip reports, the Captain turned the ship so the glacier could be viewed from both sides.

Close_up_Hubbard_Glacier.jpg

Gap.jpg

Hubbard Glacier calving

Calving_Hubbard_Glacier.jpg

I was happy we had the late dinner seating at 7:30. We had just enough time to change into our formal clothing, take a few photos on the aft deck and grab a cocktail in Crooners Lounge.

Formal_Night.jpg

Our table was a 4-top, but not next to a window as I had hoped. Oh well. We met our servers, Eduardo and Astrid. They were busy with a table of 10 or 12 and another table of 4 (2 separate parties), they had the window table, sigh.

It was formal night. As others have reported, there is definitely a variety of attire. Since we chose Traditional Dining, we packed nice clothes for dinner each evening. For the 2 formal nights, the boys wore ties and sports jackets, us girls wore dresses. We didn’t feel out of place.

The food was delicious, but we weren’t over the moon for our servers. It was the first night with them, so we would reserve judgement. This is one time that I did think about our amazing servers on both Disney cruises. It was hard not to compare.

Pete and I had a drink after dinner and then back to the room. One thing I love about Princess is that just about any tine you turn on the TV, the Love Boat is on.

Love_Boat.jpg

Tomorrow: Glacier Bay

Thanks for posting about the Winner Creek trail. We did it today.

We crossed with the tram and continued on to the road a mile past the tram.

I took the transit shuttle back to the resort. Grabbed the car and returned for the rest of my party.

The trail seemed longer than marked due to the uneven terrain.

Thanks again.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Loving your review!! We just booked this week this same itinerary on the Royal Princess for June 2019. We are also late 40's traveling with our son and daughter just a little older than yours.

How far in advance did you book most of your tours, hotels, etc.. I feel like I'm behind already. Right now all we have is the cruise. Hoping to do 3 or 4 days prior DIY and a few days after in Vancouver.

Never been to Alaska but having cruised many times (in more tropical areas ;):D).

Thanks for posting about the Winner Creek trail. We did it today.

We crossed with the tram and continued on to the road a mile past the tram.

I took the transit shuttle back to the resort. Grabbed the car and returned for the rest of my party.

The trail seemed longer than marked due to the uneven terrain.

Thanks again.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hi Tom, that's good to know. Hopefully we will get back there someday and have more time to explore. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Loving your review!! We just booked this week this same itinerary on the Royal Princess for June 2019. We are also late 40's traveling with our son and daughter just a little older than yours.

How far in advance did you book most of your tours, hotels, etc.. I feel like I'm behind already. Right now all we have is the cruise. Hoping to do 3 or 4 days prior DIY and a few days after in Vancouver.

Never been to Alaska but having cruised many times (in more tropical areas ;):D).

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

You have some time to book tours, but you may want to get your lodging and car booked soon. I booked our lodging around this time last year, the car in Sept, the Major Marines tour on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday (to take advantage of the huge savings). I also booked the fishing guide and 2 of our shore excursions in Nov (not through Princess). I waited on the Exit Glacier Ice Hike until a month or two before our arrival.

Happy Alaska planning!

Love your review. Thanks so much for sharing. I love the Coral and board in a couple of weeks for 5 weeks. This is helping me get my fix until then!

Your photos are fantastic.

Thanks! I'm happy to share... I get to relive every moment.

I love the Coral too! It is the perfect size. We are trying to decide on our next Princess cruise, but most of the other ships are so much larger than the Coral.

Wow, 5 weeks! Have a great trip!

Day 8 – Glacier Bay

We all decided to forgo exercise this morning. At 9am we went to deck 7 to look for the Pilot Boat. It arrived a few minutes later and National Park Rangers boarded the ship.

Today we would try the buffet for breakfast at Horizon Court. I love the sinks for hand washing just before entering the dining area. We religiously used them every time we entered and exited Horizon Court. I know not everyone does, but at least we were doing our part.

Sean was a happy camper! Carbs galore. Pancakes, French toast, waffles, pastries, cereal… He was like a kid in a candy store. There was no question where we’d have breakfast for the duration of our trip.

The weather was perfect for our second scenic cruising day. The sun was shining and the air was a crisp 50 degrees. I was comfortable in jeans, short-sleeves, flannel shirt and a lightweight, down vest.

Glacier_Bay_approach.jpg

From our balcony we spotted a fin in the water. We continued watching and started questioning if it was really a whale. The way it was moving in the water with only the fin showing seemed almost shark-like. Then we saw the spray from the blow hole and the black and white body broke the water’s surface. It was an orca! No breaching, but still a sight to see.

Whale_fin.jpg

Whale_fin_2.jpg

After the orca sighting, we spotted a Holland America ship in the distance. As it got closer we could make out the name. It was the Westerdam. Strange as it sounds, Sean’s girlfriend and her family were on that ship. We were never in the same port at the same time, but it was cool to pass their ship in Glacier Bay!

Westerdam_2.jpg

Margerie Glacier is not as massive and vast as Hubbard Glacier, but it is still a spectacular sight. Again, I was fascinated with the ice pieces floating in the water. Today there were lots of adorable harbor seals swimming around and sunning themselves.

Cool_ice_formation.jpg

Seals.jpg

To be continued...