Vision of the seas loses power

Yes. Funny that he has the story before anyone else ...

I did see a lot of references to it on Facebook and was suprised someone on board wasn't posting, but maybe the internet was down?;) I'll go read THAT site, just to see what it says.

Boy, people around here sure do get worked up at an attorney who litigates against huge corporations on behalf of customers putting a report on his website.

This particular attorney has a long "interesting" history in the cruise industry.

So I'm assuming since there is little info on this it was not much of an event and the Vision is probably on it's way.

Not sure what's posted on social media (this is as far as this old fogey gets), but since it was in Greek waters, not many US news agencies are going to even know it happened. The ship was back underway before he posted it on his site.

I looked on the marine traffic website that can show the track and the satellite data every two minutes and I don't see anywhere on the track that it slowed down. It did go to 7 knots but it was too early to get into port. It arrived in port at the scheduled time and left the port on schedule. So where did it lose power? Fake news?

I was just curious, assuming they have emergency generators that kick in - would they have enough power to lower the lifeboats if required ?

Lifeboats are required to be able to be launched with no power at all on the ship. From their stowed position, the boats in their davits are designed to be brought out to the ship's side either by gravity alone, or through stored hydraulic power. Once alongside the ship, lowering the boat is done strictly by gravity. The crew releases a brake, and the weight of the boat and occupants causes the boat to lower. Applying the brake will stop a fully loaded boat, and there is also a centrifugal brake to control the speed of lowering.

Emergency generators are designed to provide sufficient power to systems needed to evacuate the ship. This is limited lighting, bilge pumps to control flooding, limited steering, and navigation and communication equipment. Sometimes the hoisting winches on the lifeboat davits are included on the emergency generator, but this is just to raise the boats again after a drill.

Lifeboats are required to be able to be launched with no power at all on the ship. From their stowed position, the boats in their davits are designed to be brought out to the ship's side either by gravity alone, or through stored hydraulic power. Once alongside the ship, lowering the boat is done strictly by gravity. The crew releases a brake, and the weight of the boat and occupants causes the boat to lower. Applying the brake will stop a fully loaded boat, and there is also a centrifugal brake to control the speed of lowering.

Emergency generators are designed to provide sufficient power to systems needed to evacuate the ship. This is limited lighting, bilge pumps to control flooding, limited steering, and navigation and communication equipment. Sometimes the hoisting winches on the lifeboat davits are included on the emergency generator, but this is just to raise the boats again after a drill.

Thankyou! That's good to know.

I looked on the marine traffic website that can show the track and the satellite data every two minutes and I don't see anywhere on the track that it slowed down. It did go to 7 knots but it was too early to get into port. It arrived in port at the scheduled time and left the port on schedule. So where did it lose power? Fake news?

Not fake news. I'm a member of a group where someone reported the problem - including pictures. Lost power and propulsion. Some people on board were concerned. Because the fire doors closed, people could not return to their cabins. Was fixed fairly quickly.

We had a power outage on the Vision TA in 2015.

We were up in the nightclub when everything went out, it was so eerily quiet with only the emergency lighting and people quietly chitchatting.

We sat there for just a few minutes to see if the power would come back but it didn’t so left for our cabins. By the time we got there power was restored and all was well.

It was late at night with most people in bed so not many people even realised the power had gone out.

Not fake news. I'm a member of a group where someone reported the problem - including pictures. Lost power and propulsion. Some people on board were concerned. Because the fire doors closed, people could not return to their cabins. Was fixed fairly quickly.

Any report from Captain Marek as to the cause?

I was on the ship and just sat down for our 8:30 dinner in the dining room. There were 8 of us at the table and heard a noise then the power went out for almost 25 minutes. Captain came on and made an announcement not sure what happened would keep us posted. Second announcement told us breaker blew would be awhile to fix. Third announcement still fixing it and had a water main break on 7th deck...our 4 cabins were on that deck! No sign of water on our side. Didn't hear anyone complaing about water damages. Did notice water pressure issues for a little bit. Fourth announcement...lights are back on! The ship was not moving during the power outage per the Captain & staff. I have been on 15 cruises never experienced this before.

We had a power outage on the Vision TA in 2015.

We were up in the nightclub when everything went out, it was so eerily quiet with only the emergency lighting and people quietly chitchatting.

We sat there for just a few minutes to see if the power would come back but it didn’t so left for our cabins. By the time we got there power was restored and all was well.

It was late at night with most people in bed so not many people even realised the power had gone out.

We were on this TA cruise as well in 2015. Happened just out of Gibralter.

We were alseep in our suite (RS) and all the lights in the cabin came on. Unsettling to say the least. Called down to GS, were told that they were working on one of the generators and had to shut them off to do this(?)

We were adrift in pretty rough weather getting bounced around for awhile. Power was out for about 45-min to 1 hour, if I remember correctly. We felt a little uncomfortable just going back to sleep, so we got dressed and walked around the ship to get a feel for the mood and the situation. Luckily, all ended well. Still, strange, have never experienced that on any other RCI ship in 15+ years of sailing with them....