Pacific Princess trans-Atlantic from Fort Lauderdale to London--Can you do this?

ontheweb

It is an 18 day cruise with 2 sea days and then NY City before crossing the Atlantic Ocean with stops in Iceland before disembarkation in England. Our question is can you make sail it as a 15 day cruise starting in NY City instead of the full 18 days from Fort Lauderdale.

Check with your TA.

If passengers are embarking in New York, which is likely, that means it’s also sold as a NY to England cruise and you can cancel and rebook.

If passengers are not embarking in NY, then you would have to pay the full fare no matter where you embark.

We did a cruise like this last year from Fort Lauderdale. But passengers were also boarding in New York. Not sure what they paid but it was possible to embark in New York and Fort Lauderdale ... seems like it would be cheaper, but Princess would know for sure;p

It is an 18 day cruise with 2 sea days and then NY City before crossing the Atlantic Ocean with stops in Iceland before disembarkation in England. Our question is can you make sail it as a 15 day cruise starting in NY City instead of the full 18 days from Fort Lauderdale.

This cruise is being sold as FLL to Dover; 18 days. There is no option to board in NY. It is not being sold as NY to Dover. But ask anyway.

We did it last year and they said they would charge us the full fare if we embarked in NYC, so we flew to FL.

I guess it makes sense that it is a full fare since unlike say a world cruise in which they sell segments, the booked cabin would generate no revenue for the 3 days before NY City.

I believe (based on a previous cruise on the similar sized former Ocean Princess) that there is no anytime dining so everyone has an assigned time and table for dining. Would you also have to pay the tips to the dining staff and room steward for those 3 days?

I assume they would also have to set up a muster drill in NY.

Also DW asked if the NY port is Manhattan or in Brooklyn.

Check with your TA.

If passengers are embarking in New York, which is likely, that means it’s also sold as a NY to England cruise and you can cancel and rebook.

If passengers are not embarking in NY, then you would have to pay the full fare no matter where you embark.

We had a Transatlantic cruise out of Houston that picked up passengers in Port Everglades. This was available online as two separate cruises, one 17 days, one 14 days (FLL-Southampton). If your cruise not offered online in a similar manner as two separate cruises, then the New York embarkation is likely not available at a lower fare (as Pia posted).

I guess it makes sense that it is a full fare since unlike say a world cruise in which they sell segments, the booked cabin would generate no revenue for the 3 days before NY City.

I believe (based on a previous cruise on the similar sized former Ocean Princess) that there is no anytime dining so everyone has an assigned time and table for dining. Would you also have to pay the tips to the dining staff and room steward for those 3 days?

I assume they would also have to set up a muster drill in NY.

Also DW asked if the NY port is Manhattan or in Brooklyn.

Our port was Manhattan.

[quote=ontheweb;56825492

Would you also have to pay the tips to the dining staff and room steward for those 3 days?

As the gratuities are optional anyway you wouldn't have to pay them for any days you didn't want to, or at all if you really didn't want to.

A trip to the passenger services desk would sort that out.

We embarked in New York (Manhattan) last year - it was about $1500 cheaper (If I recall) than getting on in Ft Lauderdale & was definitely sold on the Princess website as embarking in New York. We booked after final payment was due for those that booked early, it may be they had quite a few unsold cabins so decided to offer some to the New York market.

You might want to specify embarkation port as New York when looking for cruises in June 2019. And check how many cabins are available. I admit it was a bit nerve-wracking playing the “will they or won’t they” game (we were definitely going to take the TA, as we were already booked on the 18-day Norway cruise afterward), but seeing all those unsold cabins convinced me to wait.

I hope it works out for you, getting on in Manhattan was fabulous - we walked right on, no hassles at all. I was told at the muster drill that only about 100 people got on in NY.

Sent from my iPad using Forums