Kauai by Helicopter tour

Chad_O

Hi,

I was hoping to get insight/advice on the Princess Kauai by Helicopter tour #LIH-800 for an upcoming cruise. I would like to contact the actual tour operator. My concern is that my size (6'7" and a bit over 300 lbs.) would prevent me from being in a helicopter. I am in great health, very strong, physically active and require no assistance but size itself could be an issue. Does anyone know of a size restriction or how I might contact the tour operator for additional insight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chad

Hi,

I was hoping to get insight/advice on the Princess Kauai by Helicopter tour #LIH-800 for an upcoming cruise. I would like to contact the actual tour operator. My concern is that my size (6'7" and a bit over 300 lbs.) would prevent me from being in a helicopter. I am in great health, very strong, physically active and require no assistance but size itself could be an issue. Does anyone know of a size restriction or how I might contact the tour operator for additional insight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chad

It should tell you in the Tour description if there is a weight or size limit, but may I suggest "Wings over Kauai", it's a wonderful AirVan tour which runs about half the price of the Copter tours.

Info here: https://www.wingsoverkauai.com/

If you are trying to get s tour that goes to the volcanos you will be disappointed. In may they cancelled any and all flights in that area for the forseeable future. We spent 11 days in Hawaii and never saw them. I know they are in Kona but helo's in Kauai were advertising for these types of flights.

Hi,

Regards,

Chad

Having done one of these years ago, I know they go by weight. That 5 passenger helicopter might only be able to take 3, possibly 4, including the pilot.

Hi,

Regards,

Chad

It does actually tell you right there in the Special Notes at the end of the tour info what the weight limits and weight surcharge will be:

"Weight surcharge ($129) may apply on this flight. Due to weight and balance limitations, as well as passenger safety and comfort, the helicopter companies have advised that guests weighing 260 lbs. or more (fully clothed) will be assessed the weight surcharge to reserve adequate space onboard the helicopter. Passengers weighing 260 lbs. or more should reserve an extra surcharge ticket and, once onboard, contact the Tour Office and your account will be adjusted to reflect the cost of the surcharge only."

Have a great trip, the helo tours in Kauai are amazing.

Hi,

Regards,

Chad

I've done this tour. The weight limit is 260. And yes, they do weigh you. Past the 260 you will pay a weight surcharge. I'm not sure there is a height limit but I would guess not as there were people of all shapes and sizes on the tour. They assign you seats in helicopters based on your weight to distribute it evenly. They try to keep family groups together in the same helicopter, but otherwise you could be mixed in with passengers on the ship or with passengers booking individually. The company Princess used last year was Blue Hawaiian. Hope that helps.

There are at least 3 helicopter companies doing this in Kauai. Do not remember the name of the one we tried to use twice (mother nature got in the way) but they do have restrictions on size. Suggest you google it and ask directly. Leg room probably a factor as well

I have done this tour twice' date=' and each time the provider has been Blue Hawaiian. They are a great company, so call them. I agree about the weight surcharge, but I would also be concerned about the leg room.

Good luck and aloha:)[/quote']

I used BH as well. This was not a cruise vacation. It is the best way to see it, as many places are inaccessible other ways.

we loved this tour... friends wanted to do it for a special occasion and asked us to join. Our friend was the largest in our group. They weighed us. I felt so bad because he was assigned the middle of the back seat. He wanted to take pictures but did not have the best view.

If you are trying to get a tour that goes to the volcanoes you will be disappointed. In may they cancelled any and all flights in that area for the forseeable future. We spent 11 days in Hawaii and never saw them. I know they are in Kona but helo's in Kauai were advertising for these types of flights.

The volcanoes on Kauai have been dormant for a long time.

We did this over 20 years ago and it was fabulous (not off a cruise ship). The pilot was a Viet Nam vet... probably long since retired. Anyway, it was a fantastic way to see this gorgeous island.

PS- This thread should be on the Hawaii destination/port page.