Passenger overboard (Norwegian Star) survives after 10 hours in the water

Grover_

Several years ago we were on the Star Princess out of LA to Hawaii when we were awakened by a cabin announcement from the Captain telling us that a crew member from the sister-ship Grand Princess had gone overboard, and we were heading back to help with the search.

We, the Grand Princess and a freighter spent the better part of a day doing a grid search. It was facinating, and ultimately very sad as security cameras eventually proved that he’d jumped intentionally.

Dozens of passengers stood on deck with binoculars, trying to help.

We missed Lahaina that cruise, and called at Kona instead. As you can imagine, there were passenger complaints and grumbles, but I felt very bad about the crew member and his family. It was a lesson in reality for me.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Grand-Princess-Cruise-Ship-Crewmember-Overboard-off-Hawaii-239126851.html

Lyssa

Edited by LyssaWorthy

Agree, she must have been sitting on or climbing up or leaning way over (Or combination of) a railing, the railings are too high to just lose balance and fall over if standing on the deck, if that was the case it would happen frequently which we know not to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I can’t wrap my head around how passengers fall overboard off a cruise ship? Suicide, murder and total drunkenness. Those I get. But other than that, how on earth does one fall off the ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. Everytime this happens my DH & I say the same thing.

It wasn’t from the back she fell but down the side near the back given the area ncl barricaded off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed on Star twice and the back walkaround was NOT barricaded. It was accessible the full cruise.

I have sailed on Star twice and the back walkaround was NOT barricaded. It was accessible the full cruise.

It was barricaded AFTER she fell / jumped. Not during the cruise. They had pictures of the area roped off

It was barricaded AFTER she fell / jumped. Not during the cruise. They had pictures of the area roped off

This is what I meant.. the pic on Twitter is one of the sides and not the aft/back which is what the lady claims is where she fell from! Ncl put a metal barricade in place before it arrived in port after the lady went overboard... this is definitely a side down to the railing design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk