Memories of Grandeur

In 2005, DH & I were on a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. my wonderful Mother in law had paid for her entire family to cruise together.

Grandeur was also docked there and DH & I walked over to have a closer look at her. We were amazed at how lovely and big she was. We wondered if we would EVER ask on a ship like her!

Now we are Diamond+, have been on the Lady G 3 times and have upcoming cruises booked on Oasis and Harmony. Just yesterday we were planning our reservations for Oasis & reminiscing about our first impressions of Grandeur all those years ago.

Who else has fond memories of Grandeur, either from her early years or more recent?

My wife & I first sailed on Grandeur in January 1997. She was commissioned in ‘96 I believe, so she was brand new. I think she may have been the largest ship at the time as well. I remember approaching her in the cab at Port Canaveral and just being awestruck.

The following year we returned with our 3 kids who were in their early teens then. It was an amazing time and we have memories that we all still talk about

I still remember waking early, and going to the Windjammer with one of our daughters for breakfast as we watched sunrise together.

Since then my wife and I have been back on Grandeur just once, it was last year. The crew at that time was the best we had ever experienced.

But we are booked again on her for next January.. She’s a very special ship for us indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by onthewater51

We sailed on Grandeur over New Year's Eve 1996. It was her third cruise. The Cruse director was Ray Rause and his assistant was Noel Sipos. The highlight was renewing our acquitace with Ray who was cruise director on the Statendam for our first cruise in 1979. We will also never forget chatting with Noel before the New Year celebration.

Grandeur is an old friend. We have sailed on her many times since, especially now that she is based in the nearby port of Baltimore.

Rick & Lindaa

I was on the Grandeur solo about 3 1/2 months ago. It was my fourth time on her. My first Grandeur cruise over NYE 2014 tops the list as best cruise ever, unfortunately, I have not been quite able to replicate that again, but doesn't mean I will stop trying.

Have been on her twice in the past 4 years and going again 8/25/18. Just right size for us (65+) and crew is the best. Trying to get the same table by the window we had the past two sailing. Half packed and ready to roll.

We sailed on Grandeur over New Year's Eve 1996. It was her third cruise. The Cruse director was Ray Rause and his assistant was Noel Sipos. The highlight was renewing our acquitace with Ray who was cruise director on the Statendam for our first cruise in 1979. We will also never forget chatting with Noel before the New Year celebration.

Grandeur is an old friend. We have sailed on her many times since, especially now that she is based in the nearby port of Baltimore.

Rick & Lindaa

OMG, did you just bring back a memory—Ray Rause. We loved him. My late DH and I sailed Grandeur a number of times. We did at least 3 cruises from Baltimore and a couple from Florida. Great ship. I now live in Florida and it is a tad farther than the 45 minute drive we had from the Port of Baltimore.

First time on the new Grandeur was Feb 1997. Back then the cruise number was listed as number of cruises that ship had sailed. Pretty sure ours was #010. Then did 10nite on her in 2002, my first cruise longer then 7nite and first Balcony. Enjoyed it so much did another 2 months later for 9nite on Grandeur with my 12yr old, first Suite...

Edited by ONECRUISER

In 2005, DH & I were on a Celebrity cruise to Bermuda. my wonderful Mother in law had paid for her entire family to cruise together.

Grandeur was also docked there and DH & I walked over to have a closer look at her. We were amazed at how lovely and big she was. We wondered if we would EVER ask on a ship like her!

Now we are Diamond+, have been on the Lady G 3 times and have upcoming cruises booked on Oasis and Harmony. Just yesterday we were planning our reservations for Oasis & reminiscing about our first impressions of Grandeur all those years ago.

Who else has fond memories of Grandeur, either from her early years or more recent?

We sailed on the Grandeur in December of 2015 .We loved our cabin and booked the same cabin for 2016 ,loved it again and booked the same cabin for 2017,loved it again and booked the same cabin for 2018.

I am Gluten Free and the HW was extremely helpful to me and I look forward to his help on my next cruise .

At home I go to my gym 5 days a week. I have a disability and cannot walk up and downstairs . There is no way to get to the fitness center on the Grandeur without taking stairs . In 2015 the Hotel Manager offered to let me use the crew's gym .That was wonderful as well.

We were fortunate enough to sail on Grandeur on one of her last sailings in the Mediterranean before she permanently home-ported in Baltimore. It was my DH's first cruise (our first cruise together) and it has sparked a huge love of cruising and travelling the world together. We're almost at 100 days sailing together, we've traversed the Atlantic (twice) and Pacific oceans, along with most of the East Coast of the US, and the Mediterranean a few times. We sailed on Grandeur again last December and still loved the ship -- definitely one of my favourite classes as there are so many windows to see outside from the interior of the ship.

she was the first cruise ship we had ever been on 9 years ago. Since then we have gotten the cruise bug and have sailed on her 7 times as well as other ships.The Grandeur is ourship to relax on. We know where everything is and the crew is always friendly and helpful. We have 3 more cruises planned sailing the Grandeur.

My new husband and I

booked the Grandeur later this year for our honeymoon (we got impatient and eloped after making the reservation in February!) It will be our first time cruising, and from what everyone says on Cruise Critic, we picked a great ship to start with!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

We sailed the Grandeur, for the first time, in December 2016. Turns out it was her 20th anniversary cruise as she was commissioned in December 1996. They had a wonderful party and the cruise was filled with a overly friendly crew, great service and we had a ball. We since have sailed her again this past February and are looking to sailing her again next year. A great 'older' ship but with a lot of class.

Cheers

Len

After several great experiences on her leaving from Baltimore and a few from there on X's Zenith and Mercury, I hope when her tour of duty is finished Royal Caribbean or Celebrity will have a ship that can sail under the bridge.

bosco

Love Vision class ships like Grandeur. Done Voyager, Radiance and Freedom class but the lack of congestion and the abundance of quiet spots on Vision class will keep me coming back as long as this class stays in the fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of great memories. We spent our 50th Anniversary on the Grandeur. We’ve been on her about 17 times now (lost count) and have 3 more booked this year, 2 next year, so far and 1 in 2020. We live about 1 1/2 hrs away from Baltimore and just love that ship and crew. Have a lot of friends we cruise with too.

Gwen [emoji3]

We sailed the Grandeur, for the first time, in December 2016. Turns out it was her 20th anniversary cruise as she was commissioned in December 1996. They had a wonderful party and the cruise was filled with a overly friendly crew, great service and we had a ball. We since have sailed her again this past February and are looking to sailing her again next year. A great 'older' ship but with a lot of class.

Cheers

Len

We were on that cruise too. Loved the celebration for Cyrus, a super nice crew member that worked in the Windjammer and MDR. He worked on the Grandeur from day one. Was a great 20th Anniversary celebration too.

Gwen [emoji3]