a new ship for the Galapagos Islands.

Ox Fan Cruiser

A few questions to people who have sailed to Galapagos (I have not, but would love to one day).

What would the average age range be of passengers on a Galapagos cruise?

Do you expect the range to be the same on flora given the cost?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

On ours ages ranged from pre-teen children to folks in their 80's. Most probably in 50-60's.

Actually the price is not too bad - you can get a regular cabin (it is really not ALL suite ship) for $4500. However, the original Celebrity ships included a night in Quite before and after the cruise and also the plane flight to the Galapagos. This one includes neither. I do agree that the reason you do the Galapagos is for the on shore experiences and not for fancy cabins, free booze and gourmet food. At least that is why we went. We originally booked on one of the Celebrity ships but transferred to another cruise at a better price that provided us w a wonderful 10 day experience.

DON

Don, I'm curious, what was the 10 day cruise you switched to? We're looking into a Galapagos cruise.

• 4 months later...

The Flora looked absolutely wonderful in the pictures and description, until I saw the pricing. OMG!

Yes, some will go for it, and I'm sure X did their marketing studies. But, like most of you, not for us -- I won't pay that high per diem for a luxury ship like Regent or Seabourn sails. We're looking at the Xpedition for 2019 -- much more reasonably priced.

I have been looking at Smithsonian for Machu Picchu and Galapagos . It comes with a chartered yacht , but you stay on an island. My cousins and I are looking at this. I would love to know what others have to say or have heard about this combination. Sorry for going off topic a little....I am interested in a smaller group and private time at MP...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

I am interested in a smaller group and private time at MP...

PM me, my wife and I did a private (her, I, guide & driver) tour to Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Pichu that I would highly recommend. We did it after the Xpedition in the Galapagos and ran into the Celebrity group a couple times. Ours was better.

On board the Eclipse they make a complete presentation, only 100 pax. Everything is included Quito hotel, flight to Galapagos, shorex, etc and at the end you can add the trip to Machu Pichu.

On board the Eclipse they make a complete presentation, only 100 pax. Everything is included Quito hotel, flight to Galapagos, shorex, etc and at the end you can add the trip to Machu Pichu.

Did the Galapagos trip a number of years ago. Pricing on the Expedition was higher than cruises on any of the regular Celebrity ship. However, as you noted flight, Quit hotel, excursions, etc are all included.

The FLORA is higher priced than the Expedition. Reason for this...yes, brand new ship, suites, etc.

For me the trip was the Galapagos; did not really care about the ship. We were off the ship so much that it basically was somewhere to eat our meals and sleep.

If FLORA is out of someone's price range there is an alternative....the Expedition. Yes prices are higher than when we travelled however you will note that pricing is different depending upon the time of the year.

That being said still believe this is a trip not to be missed by anyone. It is awesome. Everyone should do it at some point.

Did the Galapagos trip a number of years ago. Pricing on the Expedition was higher than cruises on any of the regular Celebrity ship. However, as you noted flight, Quit hotel, excursions, etc are all included.

The FLORA is higher priced than the Expedition. Reason for this...yes, brand new ship, suites, etc.

For me the trip was the Galapagos; did not really care about the ship. We were off the ship so much that it basically was somewhere to eat our meals and sleep.

If FLORA is out of someone's price range there is an alternative....the Expedition. Yes prices are higher than when we travelled however you will note that pricing is different depending upon the time of the year.

That being said still believe this is a trip not to be missed by anyone. It is awesome. Everyone should do it at some point.

Well said, and agree. We did Galapagos on Xpedition in 2010. Pricing was about $4,500pp for the the 10 day version. Not inexpensive for the time. Believe similar today is at least $2K more. We have also cruised Antartica on an expedition ship: 13 days with 10 days of landings to include south of the Antarctic Circle for about $9,500pp. Neither cabin was the best nor "worst" on either ship. The experience of landings in both places, up front and close to the wildlife under careful oversight of experienced guides, was well worth the cost. As with Antarctica, Ecuador is limiting total presence of visitors ashore to protect the ecology of the archipelago and increasing fees to help in that protection.

Yes, its expensive. It is for most of us a once in a lifetime experience, along with an African safari. These are not "party ships" and those expecting to party all day/night should maybe look elsewhere. There are less expensive cruises and Galapagos visit programs available than that offered by Celebrity's now four Galapagos ships and those of National Geographic, etc.

I am interested in a smaller group and private time at MP...

PM me, my wife and I did a private (her, I, guide & driver) tour to Cusco, Sacred Valley and Machu Pichu that I would highly recommend. We did it after the Xpedition in the Galapagos and ran into the Celebrity group a couple times. Ours was better.

Thank you so much for your offer. After speaking with my cousins, they still want to go with Smithsonian due to the limit of 19 and its first class hotels for 16 days and 10,000 pp. Smithsonian promises two trips to MP without crowds and staying, as close as, anyone can stay. They did it our way last vacation, so we are doing it their way this time...again, many thanks for sharing! We love doing private tours like yours too. We did one in St. Petersburg and it was fantastic!

Edited by Lastdance

Thank you so much for your offer. After speaking with my cousins, they still want to go with Smithsonian due to the limit of 19 and its first class hotels for 16 days and 10,000 pp. Smithsonian promises two trips to MP without crowds and staying, as close as, anyone can stay. They did it our way last vacation, so we are doing it their way this time...again, many thanks for sharing! We love doing private tours like yours too. We did one in St. Petersburg and it was fantastic!

We stayed at Belmont Sanctuary Lodge up top at the gate. Last out at night, first in the morning.

Great place.

• 4 months later...
Did the Galapagos trip a number of years ago. Pricing on the Expedition was higher than cruises on any of the regular Celebrity ship. However, as you noted flight, Quit hotel, excursions, etc are all included..

Welland....are you sure flight and hotel are included? I can not find a reference to this anywhere.

Thanks!

Av8r

Welland....are you sure flight and hotel are included? I can not find a reference to this anywhere.

Thanks!

Av8r

I am not Welland, but can answer.

If you are doing a Celebrity package (10, 11, 15 day), flights, hotels and meals are included for the duration of the tour. You are responsible for your flights to and from Quito (or from Lima for the 15 - day).