Taking my 14 yr old niece on her first cruise

Riley's Mom

What documentation do I need to get her onboard?

I have her birth certificate. She is my sister's daughter, do I need a

statement from my sister that she is allowed to travel with me?

Thank you for your help.

I have her birth certificate. She is my sister's daughter' date=' do I need a

Thank you for your help.[/quote']

Hi! My niece is 14 too, and I've taken her on a cruise every year since she turned 6. We have a lot of fun, and she is a cruise nut just like me lol :D

For many years, I brought her birth certificate along with a notarized letter from my sis and her ex husband. I don't recall ever being asked for it, but it was nice to have it. Of course, this past year when we debarked the Splendor I did not have one, and was asked by the Customs agent for it. haha He asked her a couple of questions, looked at her passport, and I guess he could see the family resemblance so he let us through. YMMV

I have her birth certificate. She is my sister's daughter' date=' do I need a

Thank you for your help.[/quote']

Now you may not need it but you should get a notarized letter stating that you have temporary gaurdianship of your niece and that you are authorized to make medical decisions for her because God forbid she get hurt on the cruise or on the islands and they can't treat her because you are not authorized to make these decisions (My daughter recently got hurt in the circle c area of the club while on the ship and they could not do anything to her in medical until her dad or I got there)

Does a 9 year old need a passport to go to the bahamas?

If your going on a closed loop cruise which means you leave and return to the same port within the USA then you only need a birth certificate - The 9 year old only needs a passport if you plan on staying on the island

Thank you all so much.

It may be tricky to get a notorized letter from my sister. She works constantly

and I know she wont make time to get a letter notorized.

Hopefully if asked on enbarkment, a regular letter will do.

Thank you,

I just got back from taking my 16 yr old and her boyfriend on a 5 day cruise. I had his parents provide me with a notarized letter stating I had permission to take him out of the country and another notarized letter giving me permission to make medical decisions in the event of a medical event. I also required him to have a passport and not just a birth certificate as I wanted ALL bases covered should anything happen. I carried all these papers and his passport (actually I carried all of our passports) when we got off the ship in any port. No one asked to see these documents UNTIL we got back home to Galveston and when we went through the line where you have to show your passport (customs?) I was asked if I had documentation proving I had permission to take him out of the country. I was so relieved that I HAD all the documentation he requested.

I was quite surprised that they asked for this when the trip was all over?? Didn’t seem to make sense to ask for it at that point!!! If I didn’t have permission to take him out of the country well why ask AFTER I had already done so?? Made no sense at all but I didn’t argue and just whipped out all forms. I was really surprised he asked also because the boyfriend is 16 but looks older than 18. (Has a beard etc) I thought the rule was pretty much for little kids who perhaps are not old enough to verbalize that they are being kidnapped or whatever. Anyway, my advice is to make sure you cover all your bases and bring all documentation just in case!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have traveled often by cruise and air with my nieces too. Different last names, etc and also my best friends son. My best friend always will give me a letter for medical authorization. We have never been stopped boarding or off boarding but once HE was detained by customs for a long time prior to being let to leave the ship. He was only 10 at the time but i had his passport. His mom had an alien card and we never found out why he was flagged but we were just asked to wait at the exit for him. Once they finished with him, we were the only ones on the ship and the only ones in the terminal. Weird. Anyway I would think a notarized letter that you could keep would be sufficient. Does she have a passport at all ? My nieces do not have passports, they are now 16 and 18 but I have taken them with me often for many years since they were little. They did ask my son a bunch of questions when we debarked once about who were we, and where did he live. He was really young and super cute but the officer commended him for being so serious and answering the questions honestly. He said a lot of people joke with them but they are not joking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would get the notarized letter. It's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I assume you are going on a Caribbean cruise. We just did Alaska and had to have a passport and a notarized letter because one of our excursions took us into Canada.

From the Passport service center https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/minor-travel-consent-form.html

Here is a general consent form that is quick and easy to fill out and have notarized. Surely your relative can get to a bank or grocery store service desk and have it notarized quickly.

Minor Travel Consent Form link:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/support-files/minor_travel_consent_form.pdf

I realize there is a line for passport numbers, but leave blank if travelling under a U.S. Birth Certificate

Thank you all so much.

Hopefully if asked on enbarkment' date=' a regular letter will do.

Thank you,[/quote']

Time, tricky?every bank has a notary, takes 5 minutes, maybe. just tell her if you don't have a notarized letter, she can not cruise, would that help

Thank you all so much.

Thank you,[/quote']

The letter does not have to be notarized. The Carnival FQA says you are strongly encourage to bring a signed letter from the parents. (but it maybe a good idea.)

Enjoy.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Thank you all so much.

Thank you,[/quote']

There are mobile notaries that will go to her work to have the document notarized. Many UPS free standing “stores” have notaries always available as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The letter does not have to be notarized. the Carnival FQA says you are strongly encourage to bring a signed letter from the parents.

Enjoy.

It does have to be notarized id she wants to have the authority to make medical decisions (in this, or any other country).

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

It does have to be notarized id she wants to have the authority to make medical decisions (in this, or any other country).

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

A notarized statement is a good idea but not required for travel or medical care. (certain states may have the requirement.) Here is a link to a discussion of this issue in a medical journal- http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/139/2/e20163911

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Good luck.

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

I have personal and professional experience with this- again a notarized statement is good but not required. (some states may require this but I am not aware of any. )

I have personal and professional experience with this- again a notarized statement is good but not required. (some states may require this but I am not aware of any. )
It doesn't matter what the states require. The doctor makes the call on whether he/she administers treatment.

The ships are in international waters and registered in some other country. So, again, what "the state says" is inconsequential.

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

It doesn't matter what the states require. The doctor makes the call on whether he/she administers treatment.

The ships are in international waters and registered in some other country. So, again, what "the state says" is inconsequential.

Chandris Britains 1987

Admiral Stardancer 1988

Disney Magic 1998

Disney Wonder 1998

Right, this is why a notarize statement is not required.

Take a moment to think it out. The notarized document is not an effort to fulfill some state requirement. So, stop thinking about the state and think about the doctor.

The notarized document minimizes the risk of malpractice liability to the doctor. The patient's well-being is their first priority and their own career and livelihood is their second priority. If a doctor makes medical decisions that are not in line with the minor child's legal representative, then the doctor is risking their career.

The notarized document will give the OP the right to say, "Doctor, follow my instructions." The doctor can follow those instructions without fear of legal retribution. It's their "Get out of jail" card if they are questioned as to why they took a certain course of action.

Thank you all so much.

Thank you,[/quote']

If you are kind and generous enough to take her daughter on a cruise in my opinion the very least she can do is take the time to get you the documentation you need!