Horizon 7/3 review, a year in the making...

jimbo5544

First cruise elegant night. So we are probably in the minority here and still enjoy dressing up for dinner and def so on cruise elegant nights. We have seen varying levels of how Carnival cruisers so or not do the dressing up part (not passing judgement). The kids (our kids not our kids kids) wanted us to take a pick with the kids on the two nights. Most of the time we walk by all the photo ops (having done this many many times), but each of our brood took advantage (they are all Platinum so they are strangers as well) and they got us.

Getting 11 grand kids (ages 10 to 2) even looking in the same direction at the same time can be an interesting endeavor but we got it accomplished.

a couple of words about the new photo options on the Horizon. I know that Carnival had a couple of mis-starts with the moves to digital prints (package and pricing wise). All that said, the option to download the pics (and save all that wasted printing) is a clear home run. On the last morning there were still many trying to pick up actual copies in pixels early before debark. Why, I have no idea.

Dinner was good, albeit something I could have recited without the menu. Actually that is not quite true. I have noticed some new apps, especially soups which I enjoy while cruising. After dinner we went and changed and had made plans to meet up in the main lobby with at least part of the crew that had late seating. It was also where Chris the CD was going to be doing something for the 4th that he had mentioned to us earlier in the day at the meet and greet.

We wanted to be on the lower level to find them when they came out, but with the crowds there it was tough. As most know, Carnival as moved to using that area to do things with the cruisers, get them going and in general add to the fun. Here are some pics from the 4th event.

There was some music playing and then Chris came out and asked everybody to join i with the singing of the Star Spangled Banner. So I have been on a lot of cruises and probably a half dozen that encompassed the 4th (including two in the Med). Never before had they done this (in our experience) and was wondering how it would go off as we started. The answer was spectacularly, it was loud and almost everyone joined in.

If you look at the 2nd pic, you can clearly see a couple (my guess they were not American) standing on the stair landing just silent and looking all around. It was actually a little amusing.

What the pictures could not convey (I actually have a vid for this, but alas I do not know how to upload it....) is that they were playing portions of songs and the crown was singing along. It was very effective. At the culmination they let all the balloons go, it was all in all a lot of FUN.

After that we went back to five and headed up to Lido, some of the crew wanted to check out the Dive in movie. After that we headed back down and spent some time at the Havana bar before turning in for the night.

We awoke the next morning, and went around the corner for our cup of coffee. As we came back around on the Lanai side, we met most of our Havana group and after talking about the past evening, we ended out eating breakfast at the setup they had at Oceans Plaza. After finishing, we headed up to meet our gang who was sitting down for breakfast on Lido. After breakfast, the kids wanted to go to Camp Ocean and we headed back to the Havana area.

Looks like they did Independence Day much better than our New Year's Eve cruise a couple years ago! Thanks for the pics of that and your beautiful grandnation!

Thanks, it was def hopping. During dinner, I had a conversation with a new member of our group who mainly sails Royal. During that conversation, I was explaining what I thought the differences were between the lines and what Carnival FUN was. After it was over, I asked him of the entertainment team danced on the bar on a Royal ship, and that it was not better, but certainly different.

Priceless photo with all the kiddos!

Susan

Thanks, there is another coming on the second cruise elegant night, which was much harder to pull off, kudos to the photographer for the patience......

This evening our family component was going to Tepanyaki, we had both tables except for two slots on the early seating. This restaurant is located on 5 starboard side aft of the main lobby and across from the Steakhouse. To further confuse you all, on the Vista, the Steakhouse was where Tepanyaki is (more or less) on the Horizon. It is also right next to Bonshai Sushi.

This being a new restaurant, we booked this the day restaurant bookings opened for our cruise. There are only two stations and I believe 3 seating's. The other point I would make is that there two entry points, the main one (by Bonsai) and another along the main corridor. This second opening was a glass door that had a sensor and would open if someone was walking by too close. The other thing was that it def has a fish bowl effect (purposely I am sure) with glass walls to the main corridor which is behind you , but offer a great view of the chef.

There are 4 courses, the only one you have a choice in is the main course. I thought it was kind of pricey and ended up costing about what the Steakhouse cost us (for two). Here are some pics from the night....

That picture with the little ones is priceless! One in the front seems to have lost her shoes.

Sailing on the Horizon in 8 days in a Havana Aft Wrap, so I am loving all the positive things you’ saying about that area.

Thanks for following along and the nice words. You are correct about the shoes, it was part of the concession to get the pic. I believe you will really enjoy the Havana aft wrap (my other fav room....). I give the whole Havana area an A, and all of group said the same, in fact , they also said they will have hard time going back to a "regular room".