Ala cart or minimum 3day sdp?

fstuff1

So, on our last cruise, my partner and I did not get the SDP as a booking perk. Instead, we bought ONE 3-meal package out of pocket in my partner's name (you don't need to get one for everyone in your room). The way they charged it on the Gem, at least, was that for our first meal (La Cucina), they deducted two of the meals from his total. At our next meal (Cagney's) I only ordered an appetizer and dessert, while he ordered an app, entree, and dessert. Our total at the end of that meal was $0, because you get unlimited appetizers and desserts when you use an SDP credit for a meal.

Your mileage may vary, but it worked out great for us. I had fully intended to pay out of pocket for my app and dessert at Cagney's (would have only been $13), but was very pleasantly surprised to see they had just lumped it in with his SDP credit!

So, on our last cruise, my partner and I did not get the SDP as a booking perk. Instead, we bought ONE 3-meal package out of pocket in my partner's name (you don't need to get one for everyone in your room). The way they charged it on the Gem, at least, was that for our first meal (La Cucina), they deducted two of the meals from his total. At our next meal (Cagney's) I only ordered an appetizer and dessert, while he ordered an app, entree, and dessert. Our total at the end of that meal was $0, because you get unlimited appetizers and desserts when you use an SDP credit for a meal.

Your mileage may vary, but it worked out great for us. I had fully intended to pay out of pocket for my app and dessert at Cagney's (would have only been $13), but was very pleasantly surprised to see they had just lumped it in with his SDP credit!

That’s good to know. I’ve always been under impression they could not be shared in this way.

That’s good to know. I’ve always been under impression they could not be shared in this way.

Technically, according to the terms, they are not permitted to be shared. This poster got lucky, but I wouldn't plan that it will work the same for you. It doesn't work this way for most people.

It's not supposed to be shared or split but if the server runs it through that way.....consider yourself lucky. ;)

Right, the terms of the SDP explicitly state that meal credits can't be gifted or shared, but this was my second cruise and the second time it had worked this way for us. The first cruise, back in February on the Escape, my partner and I both had the SDP. We were traveling with a couple of friends, one of whom's birthday was that week. My partner and I had planned to pay out of pocket for the other couple's meal at Moderno as a birthday gift, but when they brought the check, it was $0... they had used two of the meals on our SDP to cover our guests.

Right, the terms of the SDP explicitly state that meal credits can't be gifted or shared, but this was my second cruise and the second time it had worked this way for us. The first cruise, back in February on the Escape, my partner and I both had the SDP. We were traveling with a couple of friends, one of whom's birthday was that week. My partner and I had planned to pay out of pocket for the other couple's meal at Moderno as a birthday gift, but when they brought the check, it was $0... they had used two of the meals on our SDP to cover our guests.

Unfortunately, what ends up happening is that others will try the same thing, many then most will get refused, and it will get to the point that nobody gets lucky. :(

If it works, great but I wouldn't want others reading the forum to think that it will always work for everyone.

For the OP...

Although not listed on the website, there is a 2SDP.

2SDP = $59 + 20% service charge = $70.80 but you may have to call to see if it is available on your cruise.

I think this was discontinued. We’re we’re going to add this to our 10 day in January along with the 4 we already had and we’re told no longer an option. Of course, who knows as you talk to ten different reps and get ten different answers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately, what ends up happening is that others will try the same thing, many then most will get refused, and it will get to the point that nobody gets lucky. :(

If it works, great but I wouldn't want others reading the forum to think that it will always work for everyone.

I agree, which is why I said your mileage may vary. The terms are explicit. One should go into it believing the terms will be enforced. If not, they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Of course, who knows as you talk to ten different reps and get ten different answers.

I thought about not even posting it because since it isn't on the website, the rep can't be directed towards it.

TBH, I'd be surprised if the phone rep even knows what the SDP is since the website still uses the letters UDP (3UDP, 4UDP, etc.). LINK

Edited by Two Wheels Only