If you ever have a medical problem while onboard........

WOW! That's an amazing story!! Glad they took such good care of you!!!!

We had to take DD to the Medical Bay on Oasis last year. She got a sunburn, but "INSIDE" her skin. Google it. SUPER painful. Even though everything online said that Benadryl would not help, it DID.

Thank GOD! She was better the next day. Cost us $8.00 The cost of the Benadryl. They didn't charge us the "office" visit and it was after hours.

Poor kid was MISERABLE and within 20 minutes was feeling better. KUDOS to them!!!

My DH needed the ships Hospital when we were in Norway. Medicare said it would cover. Only if we were within a certain number of miles of US waters.

Many have said the same about within certain number of miles. I checked with my Medicare Supplement plan and they will cover outside the US if Medicare declines to cover.

DW has Kaiser and they will cover OCOUNS.

• 2 weeks later...
My DH needed the ships Hospital when we were in Norway. Medicare said it would cover. Only if we were within a certain number of miles of US waters. (Can NOT remember the number...senior moment!) We paid via Ship board account and travel insurance reimbursed every cent.

Will NOT leave home without travel insurance. In fact I just bought an annual policy. WELL worth it! Our one visit reimbursed more then 10 time the annual trip insurance premiums.

what company did you use for an annual policy, if you are permitted to say

A few years ago on Navigator the first night of the cruise I slipped in our stateroom and hurt the back of my thigh. It was around 11 pm so I hobbled to bed. The next day we talked to our stateroom attendant and he urged us to go to the infirmary. Finally did, doctor took an xray and I tore my hamstring. I explained what happened (literally just slipped right outside the bathroom, where I was headed) and they sent someone to our room to make sure there was nothing wrong with the carpet.

Our first port stop was Jamaica, the next day, and the doctor urged me to go visit a doctor there. Nope, thanks, just let me use a wheelchair and I'm good. The back of my leg turned purple and black. It was horrible. I couldn't walk for the first couple of days but then I was able to get off the ship for Cozumel and enjoyed our day at Nachi Cocom.

The ship didn't charge me a penny since I fell on the ship. No one ever contacted me to check on me but they did let me use the wheelchair for as long as I needed it. That was good enough for me.

The one time we had to visit the cruise doctor they were wonderful. When we got billed for a treatment we tried to use the travel insurance and they also told us to take it to our primary insurance instead, which they paid. I have yet to see the use of travel insurance. Our Amex covers what our primary insurance doesn't when traveling.

As someone with a pre-existing condition what could be fatal, these stories make me feel a lot better. I always go on a cruise as prepared as I can be ( contact medical dept before boarding, letter from my docs with treatment plan, extra meds and emergency meds ) , but becoming ill is something no one can predict so it's comforting to know that others have been well taken care of. So glad everyone here was ok in the end.

Glad to hear the op was well taken care of by the cruise ship doctor and staff.

On our very first cruise, I was injured on a ship excursion. By the time I returned to the ship, I couldn't walk so I saw the doctor on board. He diagnosed torn ligaments in my foot. The ship provided a wheel chair and some pain pills for the rest of the cruise. The nurse checked on me every day and I was only charged for the pills which my insurance reimbursed. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable for the rest of the cruise.

I had a similar situation in 2013 in Barcelona. We had just checked into our suite and received all our luggage, when I started having chest pains. Since I do have a cardiac history, I called the concierge and was wheeled right down to the medical clinic. The MD advised that we get off immediately, and that I check into the ER at the closest Barcelona hospital, which I did.

One cardiac stent and 4 days, (3 in ICU) later, I checked out. At discharge, the Hospital demanded payment in full. My Primary Insurance provider, Kaiser Permanente would not pay a foreign hospital for services or medical care. Luckily, approximately $30.000.00 on various credit cards paid the bill.

RCI On Call was with us the whole time to assist and act as an interpreter, which was very much appreciated!

Cruise insurance paid approx. $500.00 pp for the return airfare fees (I used miles), and hotel for my spouse for 4 nights, and all cruise expenses. My primary insurance (Kaiser Permanente) refunded all medical expenses including prescriptions.

Cruise insurance is almost always Secondary unless you pay extra for Primary Insurance. So the order of filing for reimbursement is Primary first, then Cruise Insurance second.

Worked well for us but taught us a valuable lesson-be sure to carry some credit cards with large limits when traveling out of the country to handle medical emergencies. You never know what might happen in some distant port or in some foreign waters.

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

For those of you who've always wondered what happens when you have a medical problem while on board, let me give you a rundown of what happened to me.

On the first day (a sea day) of my solo voyage to the Western Caribbean on Rhapsody of the seas, I began to see these huge spider-like floaters in my left eye. No big deal, since I've had them before, but boy these were bigger than I remember.

In the evening I started to get pin-pricks of lights flash down the left periphery of the eye like extremely tiny shooting stars. Remembering back to a previous conversation with a friend who had eye surgery, "Flashes of light are bad."

The next morning while docked in Roatan I went to the ships hospital right when it opened at 8AM. If you've not been there, it's a little larger and better stocked than most primary care physician's office, with two waiting rooms - one for the passengers and the other for the crew. In this case it was staffed by 2 doctors and 3 nurses.

There's a vending machine on the wall with supplies of antacids, Ibruprofen, antibiotic ointment, bandages, and Benedryl, and a different box on the wall with seasickness pills, all self-serve and free of charge.

After about a half-hour wait I saw the nurse first, who filled out the paperwork and did a preliminary workup, then saw the doctor. He informed me it was best to get looked at by an ophthalmologist ASAP, but not in Roatan. They would make the arrangements for me to see a doctor the next day in Belize.

Sure enough, a few hours later I had a message to be at the ship's hospital at 8:30AM the next morning. I was presented with a Landing Letter that had all the necessary info on who to contact, including Royal Caribbean "Care Team" contacts, should I have to stay onshore.

At 8:30 the port agent met me, handed me off to another agent on the tender, then another agent when the tender docked. He walked me to a waiting cab who took me to the ophthalmologist.

Dr. Hoy was very competent, explained to me the problem (partially detached retina), and said that I shouldn't wait to have it fixed or it could get a lot worse. He then reattached the retina with his trusty laser and about 80 tiny laser hits to make a patch. Took about 5 minutes.

When it was all finished, the cab was again waiting for me, which took me back to the dock and the awaiting port agent to get me back to the ship. I could see fine (a little blurry then) and can see fine today back home, thanks to the Rhapsody hospital team and Dr. Hoy.

The point of this post is that if you need medical attention beyond what's available on the ship, you will be taken care of and all the arrangements will be made for you as needed.

No need to worry, you'll be in good hands.

Many thanks to everyone involved!

Fortunately to date we have only needed the doctor on board once.

This was on Norwegian Gems maiden voyage October 6th 2007.

My late father in law had prostate cancer which he was not aware of.

The ships doctor was South African and he fitted a catheter bag on my father in law as he had a total blockage and this saved his life and gave him another 9 months life as he told us to get him to hospital when we get home

The facilities were fantastic as was the doctor.

A few years ago on Navigator the first night of the cruise I slipped in our stateroom and hurt the back of my thigh. It was around 11 pm so I hobbled to bed. The next day we talked to our stateroom attendant and he urged us to go to the infirmary. Finally did, doctor took an xray and I tore my hamstring. I explained what happened (literally just slipped right outside the bathroom, where I was headed) and they sent someone to our room to make sure there was nothing wrong with the carpet.

Our first port stop was Jamaica, the next day, and the doctor urged me to go visit a doctor there. Nope, thanks, just let me use a wheelchair and I'm good. The back of my leg turned purple and black. It was horrible. I couldn't walk for the first couple of days but then I was able to get off the ship for Cozumel and enjoyed our day at Nachi Cocom.

The ship didn't charge me a penny since I fell on the ship. No one ever contacted me to check on me but they did let me use the wheelchair for as long as I needed it. That was good enough for me.

We cruise with RCCL,Princess,NCL and P&O.

Bobby,

Wow are you lucky! I was getting very nervous by your story as I started to read it - I knew it was a retina with your symptoms....

When my retina tore & detached, I had to stay face down for 10 days post surgery!!! (I had vitreous fluid leaking behind my retina). My surgeon had to drain the vitreous fluid, laser the tear in place and fill my eye with a gas bubble to hold everything in place.

Glad to hear your surgery went well. I'm 12 years post op and still see great!

On our last cruise I forgot a medication I needed. I went to the medical center where they gave me not only enough for the rest of the trip but a couple extra in case we had weather delays getting home. It cost less than a visit to my physician and less than I pay at home for the medication. My insurance covered the doctor's visit and my prescription insurance covered the medication. The staff at the medical center was fast and kind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It always amazes me the number of people who do not take travel insurance. This is not a slagging match but the majority of them are from the US. I think it may be due to lack of knowledge of knowing / not knowing their health insurance does / does not cover them in foreign countries though.

I got a worldwide travel policy recently which cost £79 (including a pre-existing heart condition!). Although I'm hoping not to have to use it, that £79 outlay could potentially save me from being liable from up to $10,000,000 of hospital treatment abroad (something I'd never be able to afford!)

Would never leave home without it

It always amazes me the number of people who do not take travel insurance. This is not a slagging match but the majority of them are from the US. I think it may be due to lack of knowledge of knowing / not knowing their health insurance does / does not cover them in foreign countries though.

I got a worldwide travel policy recently which cost £79 (including a pre-existing heart condition!). Although I'm hoping not to have to use it, that £79 outlay could potentially save me from being liable from up to $10,000,000 of hospital treatment abroad (something I'd never be able to afford!)

Would never leave home without it

£228 for us for a year including cruise.

6 years ago when leaving​ pre cruise hotel i got a phone call to say my mam had died.

We missed the cruise and the hotel in Malaga were fantastic as they sorted flights back to the UK for the next day for us.

The insurance company were fantastic and everything was paid back to us.

Never ever not have insurance and always declare any health issues you have so insurance is not invalidated.

Grateful Graham.

43 cruises and counting.

Two points to make

This past February we were on Equinox and a call went out on the ship for anyone with O positive blood to come to the medical center. Of course being O positive I went down with my Red Cross card in hand. It was so satisfying to see at least 50 people showed up. They took everyone's name and cabin number that had a card and those taken in donated.

Second point if you do have BCBS there is an international network of providers. Wherever we sail I go on the worldwide website and print off all the hospitals that participate in the ports we visit. Never had to use it but if DW or myself needed a hospital I would just show the list I have printed and be taken there. The facility will bill BCBS directly and no need for a credit card.

Wow, these stories were fascinating. My MIL did not have as good service with Disney cruise line. Two years ago her retina detached as our ship left port. Unfortunately, it was the second detachment in 3 months. She went to the doctor the next morning and although he was very helpful and kind, there was nothing he could do for her. When we docked in Cozumel on day 3, Disney arranged a driver to take her to the hospital where she was told she needed to fly home asap. She returned to the ship to pack and they drove her to the airport, but provided no other services to her. She was on her own to arrange flights and hotels. Fortunately, her retina was reattached by her surgeon in the states and her vision is fine now.

Wow, these stories were fascinating. My MIL did not have as good service with Disney cruise line. Two years ago her retina detached as our ship left port. Unfortunately, it was the second detachment in 3 months. She went to the doctor the next morning and although he was very helpful and kind, there was nothing he could do for her. When we docked in Cozumel on day 3, Disney arranged a driver to take her to the hospital where she was told she needed to fly home asap. She returned to the ship to pack and they drove her to the airport, but provided no other services to her. She was on her own to arrange flights and hotels. Fortunately, her retina was reattached by her surgeon in the states and her vision is fine now.

Wow shocked Disney didn't do more to help.

43 cruises and counting.

Is that because it's eye related?

I've submitted ship board bills to BCBS on back related issues, go figure, and they have always been paid.

We had BCBS before DH left his company and were covered internationally. Same with Tricare (military), which covers us both. Neither will pay for the trip itself, of course, but we self-insure most of that.

People decline trip insurance for a number of reasons and in my experience are often fully aware of the potential consequences. To assume that we are ignorant on this side of the pond is a gross oversimplification.

We had BCBS before DH left his company and were covered internationally. Same with Tricare (military), which covers us both. Neither will pay for the trip itself, of course, but we self-insure most of that.

People decline trip insurance for a number of reasons and in my experience are often fully aware of the potential consequences. To assume that we are ignorant on this side of the pond is a gross oversimplification.

On my post no.40 i explained why my insurance was helpful.

Lots of people in the UK don't purchase holiday insurance because they think EHIC covers them in Europe.

Be it yearly or single trip a good insurance is vital and often not to expensive.

43 cruises and counting.

I had emergency care on my NCL Escape 7 night cruise due to respiratory infection caused by seasonal allergy. Medical doctor gave me 7 antibiotic tablets. My seapass card was charged $394 ($149 for consultation and $245 for tablets). When I got home I filed a claim with BCBS. I called trip insurance carrier and was told they will pay whatever BCBS doesn't. I'm glad I had trip insurance!

Edited by laedw

• 4 months later...
Medicare is our Primary and UHC is our secondary.

Since Medicare does not cover outside the U,S., do you still need to go through Medicare and have them send the bill to your secondary insurance, before the bill is submitted to your trip insurance?

Two points to make

This past February we were on Equinox and a call went out on the ship for anyone with O positive blood to come to the medical center. Of course being O positive I went down with my Red Cross card in hand. It was so satisfying to see at least 50 people showed up. They took everyone's name and cabin number that had a card and those taken in donated.

Second point if you do have BCBS there is an international network of providers. Wherever we sail I go on the worldwide website and print off all the hospitals that participate in the ports we visit. Never had to use it but if DW or myself needed a hospital I would just show the list I have printed and be taken there. The facility will bill BCBS directly and no need for a credit card.

Thank you! So good to know. When I had called BCBS before our last cruise, they said we were covered, but never thought about looking ahead to get a printout of the covered facilities. So good to know!

This has been a very educating post.

I'm grateful that so many posters have been so successful in receiving medical care and ship assistance in most cases. It is reassuring to know cruise medical and other staff are there for you!

Being Canadian, I always purchase out-of-country travel insurance. I'd be interested to hear any experiences from Canadians who have needed out-of-country medical and if that insurance coverage was as seemless as that for US residents seems to be.

On a cruise on Independence in the Med in 2009, my then 3-year old son collapsed with a seizure. We were on Deck 10 and the medical crew made it from the ship's hospital to our stateroom in less than 2 minutes. Long story short, he had a febrile convulsion brought on by tonsillitis (we didn't know he was ill). He spent the night in the hospital while they brought his fever down, and then gave us some antibiotics for the tonsillitis. Our bill was $1800, and travel insurance covered it.

I would never go anywhere without travel insurance. Ever.