Visa for China visit on Quantum

Hi everyone.. I have been doing some research into this but I can't seem to find out a definitive answer so I thought I'd ask some experts! Can I use a China 144 hour Visa for my trip next year on Quantum? The details are:

Fly from UK to Germany, 2 hour layover and change plane. Fly on to Shanghai, spend 3 nights in a hotel, board Quantum for a week going to Japan then back to Shanghai and fly home to the UK the same day using a flight via Germany again. No other ports are used in China.

I think it should be possible - as far as I can tell when the ship re docks back in Shanghai the 144 hour period for the Visa starts again. It seems getting RCI to allow/understand the issue is half the battle!

Has anyone had any experience with this or can anyone advise?

Many thanks!!

I can't say for China, but in other countries I've visited one thing seems to be consistent. They're sticklers for details, and if anything at all isn't correct, they'll send you back home no matter how much you spent, or what someone told you.

I would probably contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country to get a direct and definitive answer if what you're trying to do differs from what RCI is telling you to do rather than leaving it to chance.

My guess is no. It is extremely tricky with China and what their definitions are. You are flying to China, spending 3 days, than getting on a ship leaving to another country, back to China, and back home. (your other layovers are irrelevant). The issue is that China might define the cruise as a closed loop, and thus part of the 144 window.

From some personal experiences, when you think you know all the rules, and it seems logical to you, the immigration officer will tell you, it's my country, and my rules and turn you around.

I bought a bottle of water in a duty free shop, went to board an airplane and they took it 20 minutes after I bought it, stating no liquids allowed to board. You see, they took a rule, and the exceptions around the world that you bought it in a duty free area, and they still would not allow it. My country, our rules.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed China, and Quantum of the Seas, but I'm not sure that I would risk not having a Chinese Visa. They are good for 10 years. No, I did not qualify for the transit visa, but I would have still gotten the regular one if I did. Especially since I was touring around.

Hi hope this helps we are flying to Shanghai from Australia staying three nights then getting on Quantum for a six night Japan cruise then back to Shanghai and straight up the airport to fly home , we put in for a visa and were rang up at home to say you have only put in for a one stop visit you need two, as you enter Shanghai stay then leave Shanghai and then re enter Shanghai when you come back so a lot of dollars later, but hey better to be safe than sorry if you want any more info let me know we leave the end of August

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...