African American Hair

vrog33

How did your hair turn out?

I absolutely love it. She did it longer for me and it's been about 8 days but it still feels fresh. I fly out today and it will be interesting to see how it holds out for the next 17 days!! The only thing that will make it a challenge is the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I absolutely love it. She did it longer for me and it's been about 8 days but it still feels fresh. I fly out today and it will be interesting to see how it holds out for the next 17 days!! The only thing that will make it a challenge is the humidity.

Please post a picture of you can! Enjoy your cruise! I can't wait to hear all about it!

• 9 months later...

My response from another thread:

I am an African American woman who is a big believer in natural hair. I have not straightened my hair or used direct heat for years. I started a business around the subject and use those products in my hair. I do not swim in chlorinated pools. Do not get me wrong-- I do have the urge, but then I think of the damage it will do to my hair, and I snap back to reality! Before swimming in salt water, I soak my hair in a conditioner and water solution. Afterwards, I just do a quick water rinse and seal with my cream or butter.

If I am going to be in the sun for more than ten minutes, I moisturize with just water, seal with my butter (melted), and cover with a light-color scarf or hat. I do not wear my hair out (in curls) very much and definitely not to swim. I two-strand twist my hair without any added hair. It does take some hours because my hair is long now (waist length, stretched), but the style lasts me over a month. I even wash my twisted hair to lessen tangling!

For trips, depending on the activity, I can put the twists in one or two French braids, a bun, loose twists, or curly. A bun or curly or a bun with curly twists shaping the face can work for formal settings.

• 4 months later...

I am cruising next month for 7days and I will be in the water A LOT. Last year was my first cruise and I went natural and hated every second of it. I have natural hair. No perm. It takes me 45min to blow dry my hair then another 35 to straighten it. It was too much work to do and I do not want to go through it again. I'm considering a 360 closure sew in but I have never had this done and would like some help. I love my hair, but i just can't be bothered while on vacation and I do not want to wear my hair braided (big head and hate how it looks on me). Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bello2luv: I understand your pain! I have been natural now (no perm) for a few years. I prefer the straight styles. So the afro won't do for me. Even before the Natural years, though, the hair thing was always a pre-travel issue. I really can't help you because I don't get my hair wet much when I cruise. At least I make every attempt not to. Hope things work out for you.

I'm just going to tell my hair stories again in case someone runs across this thread since you resurrected it.

When I travel I don't like to have to use precious time on my hair either so I try to choose styles that take little effort. That is usually flat two strand twists in the front and a pony tail or I condition it really well and then wear wigs. Recently I tried a weave. It was ok but I didn't like the confinement. Once it's in that's your style for 6 to 8 weeks. It was beautiful when I first got it but a week later on the cruise it didn't look like much. I think the humidity didn't agree with the hair. It drooped everyday after a few hours. I had to pin curl it every night for it to have any kind of style the next day. Sometimes getting in late at night this was quite a chore! I said all this to let you know I am not a hair expert but I have been on over 50 cruises and have traveled to a variety of countries so I know about AA hair and travel.

Anyone who doesn't mind ponies: I find them to be versatile. you can take them off and since I get the two strand twists I could wear the back out and still have a style. Or I could wear a hat or even a wig if I wanted to. When all else fails wigs are my go to option. I will be taking several with me on my cruise next week.

So that's a nutshell of the information I want to share today. Again,Bello2luv, I hope someone can help you make the right decision. I know how important it is.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

• 1 month later...
I've looked into crochet braids using human hair. I feel like it may hold up better than synthetic. I plan to be in the water a lot...so I'm worried about how the synthetic hair will hold up.

I wear my hair really short now but before I cut it, I always used synthetic hair for my crochet braids and had absolutely no problems at all. I used Freetress deep twist most often. I also used tango curl and bohemian wave (I think that was the name). I would put it in a high ponytail for the beach or any other water activities. It worked out great.

Well maybe I will do that bc the human hair bundles are $50 each...If you didnt have an issues I imagine Ill be good with synthetic too. Were you able to wash the synthetic crochet often during your vacation?

I never looked into human hair so I had no idea bundles were $50 each.

I was able to wash my hair with no problems at all. How often I wash it depends on how many beach days I have. I usually wash it 3-4 times on a 7 day cruise.

I use pretty much any 2 in 1 (shampoo conditioner combo). I put the product in a bottle with a narrow tip so I'm able to go through the cornrows and put the product on my scalp. I apply the product prior to getting in the shower. After I wet my hair in the shower, I focus on massaging my scalp then I [gently] rub the shampoo/conditioner on the hair. I don't pull all the hair up like you would for normal washing because that could potentially cause the hair to tangle. I more or less glide the shampoo/conditioner on the hair then rinse. On days that I don't wash my hair, I simply spray my water/conditioner mixture on it. Never had any problems at all.

Wow. Just...wow. Can I just say y'all rock???

This thread is so very helpful and it's great to know that there are several sisters here who have the same sort of issues with hair as me! I sometimes forget that we are on Cruise Critic (no offense meant!), and it's good to see us here in numbers.

I've been natural since 2000 and have bra-length 4b/4c hair. I also have two daughters with the same kind of hair, same length. We usually do 2-strand twists or flat twist/twist outs, and since we'll be going on a cruise soon, I've been thinking about some solutions about how we can make this an easier experience. I'm guessing I'll make sure the girls have 2-strand twists (they love to swim), but I'd like to find a crochet that I can use that will be fully submersible!!! I'm a swimmer, and refuse to avoid getting my hair wet. I read through the posts (yes! all 17 pages!), and didn't really get a clear answer about whether you can fully submerge crochet hair. Did I miss the answer? Forgive me if I did, but can someone please let me know if you can, and what kind of hair I'd need to get? Thanks!

...I'd like to find a crochet that I can use that will be fully submersible!!! I'm a swimmer, and refuse to avoid getting my hair wet. I read through the posts (yes! all 17 pages!), and didn't really get a clear answer about whether you can fully submerge crochet hair. Did I miss the answer? Forgive me if I did, but can someone please let me know if you can, and what kind of hair I'd need to get? Thanks!

Yes, I fully submerged with no problem at all (Freetress deep twist hair most often...Freetress tango curl a couple of times). I just made sure I rinsed the salt water out pretty much right away using the shower available at most beaches/pools then washed it when I got back to my room. My plan was to allow my hair to grow enough for crochets for my upcoming cruise but I love my short hair so much, I decided to wear it as is.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok ... so it appears synthetic hair will hold up as long as you keep it washed and conditioned. Did you let your crochet air dry afterwards? I’m assuming there is no other way to get it dry ( is a blow dryer a no? )

Mine held up great. I've worn crochets on multiple cruises and never had any issues. I only washed it on beach days or the very few times I got into the pool. If my hair didn't get wet at the beach or in the pool, I just sprayed it with my water/conditioner mixture when I got out of bed.

As for drying, I would absorb some of the moisture by towel drying then allow it to air dry.

This is a great thread! It's nice to know there are others like me and my hair on CC! I swim and exercise a lot during the summers. And in TX, it is HOT, and I can't stand to have my hair on my neck. I am natural, but change up my hair often. During the summer, I've done my own crochet braids, or have my hairdresser cornrow my hair into an updo, or put my hair up into a messy bun using yaki braiding hair or crochet hair. As long as the style can hold up in water and is cute, I'll give the style a try. What really helped me become comfortable in doing my own hair, is by watching tons of youtube videos on protective styles for natural hair, then giving them a try. So far everything I've tried has turned out well! I am leaning towards a messy bun with or without bangs using crochet wavy hair for my upcoming cruise in July. I have even considered picking a cute wig nd having my hair dresser sew it in....something I've never done before.

Mine held up great. I've worn crochets on multiple cruises and never had any issues. I only washed it on beach days or the very few times I got into the pool. If my hair didn't get wet at the beach or in the pool, I just sprayed it with my water/conditioner mixture when I got out of bed.

As for drying, I would absorb some of the moisture by towel drying then allow it to air dry.

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for taking the time to answer them for me ❤️❤️

...What really helped me become comfortable in doing my own hair, is by watching tons of youtube videos on protective styles for natural hair, then giving them a try. So far everything I've tried has turned out well! ...

I learned how to do my own crochets by watching YouTube as well. It's a great resource.

Sorry for so many questions and thank you for taking the time to answer them for me ❤️❤️

No problem at all. You're welcome.