Viking Swiss Alps to Paris 2018 - Excursion Questions

Timid Traveler

Hi.

My husband and I are taking Viking's "Paris to the Swiss Alps" cruise in April 2018, but are starting in Zurich. We have signed up for the pre-cruise 4-day excursion in the Swiss Alps. We recently received information on three optional, in-cruise excursions, and would love to hear any feedback anyone has on two of them: "Highlights of the Alps" in Basel, and the "Bernkastel-Kues Tour & Tasting". Some specific questions - if you do the wine tasting in the morning, do you still go on the included tour in the afternoon? Also, if you go on the Highlights excursion, do you see any of Basel? And - if you've taken the pre-cruise extension, are you basically doing the same thing on the Highlights excursion?

Thanks for your help!

FYI I've started a roll call thread for this cruise, you might want to check it out:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2547178

Hopefully you've already logged into MyVikingJourney.com to explore all the shore excursions available.

We too are starting in Geneva - Zurich and have a similar question. From what I've read "Highlight of the Alps" doesn't seem worth it since you spend very little time at the locations and too much time on a bus. I'd rather spend the day exploring Basel. Since we are also taking the pre-cruise extension (which I've been told is a "must") it seems like overkill.

I'm leaning towards taking "Bernkastel-Kues Tour & Tasting" since it does not conflict with other activities.

BTW here is a great video about the Glacier Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1XbUghM2E8

Edited by OneSixtyToOne