One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

I'm trying to pack as light as possible

Anyone have advice on the least amount of extra pieces to include just for these evenings (8 in total) and how to dress? I am not a dress person, btw, so dresses are NOT in the mix. I'm thinking maybe 1 pair of dressy black pants and 1 black skirt, 2 black lightweight shells, and 4 different toppers (wearing each one twice). But that's an extra 8 pieces in addition to extra shoes+bag. :(

Sounds great overall, unfortunately that's just how it goes with having to bring along evening wear in addition to day wear, and I'd recommend choosing a variety of 4 colored tops (sleeveless and varied-sleeves) and bring a solid wrap and a print wrap as well. You can carry one heavy wrap the plane, if need be.

As a thought.. You may want to make the skirt is a grey. I wore a grey textured skirt a lot last summer, more than my black one.

Ballet flats. They can also be tucked into your carry purse, possibly? Mine can. They are not my favorite essentials - but I find them best to use on rainy days. They're not that comfortable on cement streets, for 15K-steps days. But they do air out well and are replaceable on bad weather days. I don't like ruining my athletic shoes, since I do spend money on those.

I think you can check Pinterest in how to pack for a week cruise, get some visuals, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm trying to pack as light as possible for an upcoming trip to Portugal and Spain since I will be toting my own bag at various points.

My biggest conundrum is this: for part of the time, I will be joining a tour -- a tour that includes nice dinners each evening and has an expectation of appropriate dress.

Automatically this means I have to bring 1 additional pair of shoes (my other two pairs are strictly functional) plus some type of smaller bag, plus a minimum of a few outfits.

Anyone have advice on the least amount of extra pieces to include just for these evenings (8 in total) and how to dress? I am not a dress person, btw, so dresses are NOT in the mix. I'm thinking maybe 1 pair of dressy black pants and 1 black skirt, 2 black lightweight shells, and 4 different toppers (wearing each one twice). But that's an extra 8 pieces in addition to extra shoes+bag. :(

By the way, since you probably travel more than all of us put together, you could definitely teach us a few things about packing! If you ever want to put something together, I would love to read/watch/listen to it!! :D

You could decrease the number of toppers from 4 to 2. If you're just wearing them to dinner and don't spill anything, they won't get that dirty, and laundry is always an option. 2 shells and 2 toppers gives you 4 combos, and no one will pay attention if you wear each combo twice. And the outfits would still be different if you wear each combo with bottom #1 and then the 2nd time with bottom #2. They'll look even more different if instead of making all toppers and bottoms black, you do black for 1 of each and maybe grey for the other. Then make sure your shells are a color that goes with either gray or black. Blue maybe? Purple? The addition of a lightweight scarf or statement necklace could be something to add half the time to make combos look even more different.

On the other hand, the same all black outfit every day wouldn't necessarily be memorable, and would be a possibility for the true minimalist. Make it something that can be hand washed / air dried overnight though ;-)

Thanks for the posts -- something to think about. I don't really wear gray, at least not near my face (totally washes me out) so I always gravitate to black. But a pair of gray pants OR skirt might be just the ticket.

I anticipate the weather is going to be beastly hot, so no heavy wrap or jacket (or possibly even scarf) will be needed. That will at least help me keep things light.

Also, just for giggles -- the reason I am thinking of two black shells is that for some reason it is virtually impossible for me to eat a nice dinner without spelling SOMETHING on myself, whether it's a tiny speck of salad dressing or a large drip of gazpacho. I am afraid if I take only one shell I will be washing it out every.single.night. :')

Also, just for giggles -- the reason I am thinking of two black shells is that for some reason it is virtually impossible for me to eat a nice dinner without spelling SOMETHING on myself, whether it's a tiny speck of salad dressing or a large drip of gazpacho. I am afraid if I take only one shell I will be washing it out every.single.night. :')

The knee-length skirts always help beat the summer heat, in my opinion.

And spilling is my specialty too - the wraps come in handy mainly to cover those up. Tossing it over the pesky spot like a sari and I'm set til I return to the cabin to wrestle it out. Or tops that are colorful prints - they hide meal spillage don't they. ;)

Carry on-only travel is not easy for me. I'm not a minimalist. (And when we went to SE Asia, I went in the opposite direction and didn't pack anything terribly formal at all (regrettably). And the gowns on board! I could've packed ONE...!)

So I appreciate these tips here! Am still striking the balance. And not wear only black.

So I just went to my friend's FB (because she posted too many photos last summer), and found this pic to share. Grey skirt alert. Friend took it of us in Copenhagen last July when she was mad with her selfie stick. And I'm wearing all my layers - lulu lemon leggings, grey skirt, jacket, and my wrap. I was coldest in baltics on this day. Mid July. Freezing my booty off! Our 2 adult kids with us (and my friend) gave me grief about my bright American trainers, and admittedly it was the only day I wore them outside the princess gym. But Hey, I was cold and my Birks weren't appropriate. And sitting in the cabin, though tempting, wasn't an option..

It was "warm", by Baltic standards, the remainder of the cruise so I didn't have to embarrass the crowds or countrymen forever.... 9fba761fb1d7b32624e2a114ff7f3e5c.jpg

Sorry - missed the chance to edit that post - I mentioned that a skirt is good for heat but then I shared the photo in baltics. Didn't seem to connect.

We had been in Med earlier that month, sweat pouring down my back all day.

As others in this thread have already mentioned, had to pack to accommodating the climate changes. Packing the skirt and leggings also allowed a break from predictable jeans in daywear.

Thanks for the posts -- something to think about. I don't really wear gray, at least not near my face (totally washes me out) so I always gravitate to black. But a pair of gray pants OR skirt might be just the ticket. snip ....

In France navy is more often worn rather than black

Save

Save

Navy is always my dark neutral because black is too harsh for my coloring. Its harder to find navy outfits that can dress up as well as black, so always on a search for classic navy tops. Chicos used to carry navy travelers, but that knit is too heavy to pack in my opinion.

I notice navy has been very evident in the last couple of years but I have resisted diversifying my evening travel because everything goes with black. I am not a big fan of mixing black and navy unless the navy is a bright navy.

I was thinking of very lightweight toppers -- I have one that's rather like this (without the palm trees, just more of a subtle black/blue tie-dye look): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael-stars-sunset-ruana/4696958?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=WHITE%2F%20BLUE

A couple of these would take very little space and (I think) would be pretty at night. As long as they don't look took much like a beach cover-up!

Love that topper! Y'all are making me rethink my packing style. I've always been a light packer but I pick out 9 outfits with interchangeable tops and bottoms rather than pieces like y'all do. Looks like you all get more interesting outfits with fewer clothes.

Navy is always my dark neutral because black is too harsh for my coloring.

How lovely for the French that navy works for all their coloring. Unlike Jan, black works much better for me -I almost never wear navy.

There are oodles of neutrals available around which one can plan a wardrobe (for packing/travel or just for life). Black is easy & common, but by no means the only option.

This is one reason so many of us recommend the VivienneFiles blog - she provides options using as many neutrals as she can think up.

Thanks for these insights. Will put them to use.

I have a friend who is a Stitch Fix coordinator and I run everything past her. She's that fashion authority in my life, and I appreciate the cruiser forum here too! You ladies KNOW! [emoji4]

The knee-length skirts always help beat the summer heat, in my opinion.

And spilling is my specialty too - the wraps come in handy mainly to cover those up. Tossing it over the pesky spot like a sari and I'm set til I return to the cabin to wrestle it out. Or tops that are colorful prints - they hide meal spillage don't they. ;)

Carry on-only travel is not easy for me. I'm not a minimalist. (And when we went to SE Asia, I went in the opposite direction and didn't pack anything terribly formal at all (regrettably). And the gowns on board! I could've packed ONE...!)

So I appreciate these tips here! Am still striking the balance. And not wear only black.

So I just went to my friend's FB (because she posted too many photos last summer), and found this pic to share. Grey skirt alert. Friend took it of us in Copenhagen last July when she was mad with her selfie stick. And I'm wearing all my layers - lulu lemon leggings, grey skirt, jacket, and my wrap. I was coldest in baltics on this day. Mid July. Freezing my booty off! Our 2 adult kids with us (and my friend) gave me grief about my bright American trainers, and admittedly it was the only day I wore them outside the princess gym. But Hey, I was cold and my Birks weren't appropriate. And sitting in the cabin, though tempting, wasn't an option..

It was "warm", by Baltic standards, the remainder of the cruise so I didn't have to embarrass the crowds or countrymen forever.... 9fba761fb1d7b32624e2a114ff7f3e5c.jpg

Love your outfit---like the shoes too. :)

My cruise isn't until next May. I find myself thinking about one bag. I have always taken a checked bag and my carry on. I am searching sites for packing insight. I have started a packing list...which will change since travel is so far out...but it's fun to plan.

Thanks @hi2you, I'll let the crew know! Ha

So I have travel news to share with you gals. Excuse my post cruise jetlag this morning [emoji126]🕺🏻

Let's discuss packing in the 3-1-1 carry on for a min. I know it's not fashion but it's part of our packing light. Because I found a nifty trick. If it helps one of you, then yay. Just YAY. That would be awesome.

Obviously these itty bitty 3-oz items don't last an entire month (as our original thread post here indicates - but many of us following this thread are traveling less than a month). {My hair, I mean don't even get me started on travel hair. That's a whole other thread.}

Yet the important personal toiletry items that we prefer to have along, we want to bring with us. If you wear makeup and contacts and hair products, it adds up quickly. Shopping on vacation is not for us planners. And besides while in port it's a challenge with time constraints to attempt to find what we need (nevermind what we want), and on board you may not like the brands available. That's the main obstacle - bringing along the brand you like. Call me picky. [emoji6]

Here's my most recent $5 3-1-1 solution, and it's gotten me through airport security checkpoints all over. Much to my amazement. I saw it early this year and wondered if it would work and it's been the best little purchase yet. But I still keep the 3-1-1 baggie with it. I don't know why. So I can pull out the baggie of tsa pulls me over and explain to them that I have 3-1-1 and keep most of my items, I suppose. [i got this bag at Target- or Walmart? (Not even a TJ Maxx overspend!) Now look, I know there are Nordstrom days and there are TJ Maxx days. If you are buying 3-1-1 bags at Nordstrom for your cruise, you are doing it wrong. Save your money for the wine bar. [emoji126]️[emoji568]]

When I search the image online now, I don't see it. I'm sharing it because it's a little larger than the TSA baggie, enough to fit in a deodorant (if you like liquid gel, as I do) and a face moisturizer. Necessities. It also has a zipper and a handle. Once, due to a spill, I had to throw out my purse and stuff everything into a shopping bag temporarily and carry this 3-1-1. The handle was terrific in that situation.

As I said I have anticipated getting stopped, but now it's been a dozen times of passing through, so I am letting you all know... it's safe to pack this way. [emoji6] I'd hate to risk any of us getting called out by tsa while needing to board a flight. But I think it's acceptable, and I've taken this through tsa DFW, DAL, CLE, CAK, MDW, ORD, ATL, MCO, LGA, MIA, BCN, FCO, GRR, LAS, SJO, SFO. Since March. And I am pre-check, but only fairly recently. So I have been through main security lines in most of those airports. And even MCO recently because it never matters at MCO [emoji51]

At each location I just left the bag out next to my large purse in the tsa tray on the belt. No staff pulled over the tray at any airport. No sharp objects, nothing over 3-oz, you can see it's just toiletries. It's just a little more than the ziploc baggie.

6cb398539980161777e77cb0a4f75b81.jpg

LOVING this thread! Agonizing over our first Alaska Cruise Tour in a few weeks, with Land, Sea and BC visit with family included...and was trying to plan various outfits (and suitcases) for EACH portion.

You gals have me thinking sideways now...perhaps we can use the same clothes, with a few switch-ups for all three legs...even with the unpredictable weather I hear about.

I am shaking in my boots as I write this...wondering if I can actually attempt it. :confused::rolleyes:

I have always been the one who travelling companions approached when they needed emergency supplies of any kind, since I take so much extra 'crap'...a friend's description, as she rummaged thru the stuff, looking with glee for what she needed, but did not have.;p

Thanks @hi2you, I'll let the crew know! Ha

Here's my most recent $5 3-1-1 solution, and .........,,,,,,

At each location I just left the bag out next to my large purse in the tsa tray on the belt. No staff pulled over the tray at any airport. No sharp objects, nothing over 3-oz, you can see it's just toiletries. It's just a little more than the ziploc baggie.

6cb398539980161777e77cb0a4f75b81.jpg

We've bought several of a similar item at Daiso,a Japanese $1.50 store that's popping up all over the place. Use it for my med kit, never thought to use it for a 311.

I notice navy has been very evident in the last couple of years but I have resisted diversifying my evening travel because everything goes with black. I am not a big fan of mixing black and navy unless the navy is a bright navy.

I was thinking of very lightweight toppers -- I have one that's rather like this (without the palm trees, just more of a subtle black/blue tie-dye look): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michael-stars-sunset-ruana/4696958?origin=category-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=WHITE%2F%20BLUE

A couple of these would take very little space and (I think) would be pretty at night. As long as they don't look took much like a beach cover-up!

I love the idea of the topper in this post, it would def. pack down pretty light. I'm in the camp that says bring one long black silk type skirt & one black swishy pants & two black shells for the evening dinners... maybe two of the lightweigt toppers & two different lightweight silky scarves for color & I would think you'd be fine for all the evenings. Necklaces would be nice, but they add too much weight to a bag compared to silky scarves in my opinion . I'd definitely go with black ballet flats as others mentioned, they even have the type that fold into a little pouch for carrying that weigh almost nothing.

I'm starting to plan for almost a month in New Zealand & Australia, with of course, big temperature fluctuations... might be pretty cold in some locations in N.Z to pretty hot in Australia... when I booked the cruise a year ago I envisioned wearing light summer skirts & linen shorts each day, picturing late spring in New Zealand being warm & sunny, but it turns out the South Island & Fjords are still pretty cold that time of year, so I'm rethinking my packing strategy. I guess the term Fjords should have given me a hint lol. ;)

I love the idea of the topper in this post, it would def. pack down pretty light. I'm in the camp that says bring one long black silk type skirt & one black swishy pants & two black shells for the evening dinners... maybe two of the lightweigt toppers & two different lightweight silky scarves for color & I would think you'd be fine for all the evenings. Necklaces would be nice, but they add too much weight to a bag compared to silky scarves in my opinion . I'd definitely go with black ballet flats as others mentioned, they even have the type that fold into a little pouch for carrying that weigh almost nothing.

I'm starting to plan for almost a month in New Zealand & Australia, with of course, big temperature fluctuations... might be pretty cold in some locations in N.Z to pretty hot in Australia... when I booked the cruise a year ago I envisioned wearing light summer skirts & linen shorts each day, picturing late spring in New Zealand being warm & sunny, but it turns out the South Island & Fjords are still pretty cold that time of year, so I'm rethinking my packing strategy. I guess the term Fjords should have given me a hint lol. ;)

Thanks for the input. I've got the packable black flats -- not quite ballet flats but close. I think this will be one of my "toppers" (just ordered it today, on sale from Nik and Zoe: https://www.nicandzoe.com/mirrored-monkeys-tunic-top-5173.html

Looks cute, goes with my colors and I suspect that wearing it open and closed will give two slightly different looks.

Your trip sounds challenging. Layering is probably the only realistic option, but that means you have fewer choices for any one particular climate. I'm sure you'll have some good ideas to share...

Thanks for the input. I've got the packable black flats -- not quite ballet flats but close. I think this will be one of my "toppers" (just ordered it today, on sale from Nik and Zoe: https://www.nicandzoe.com/mirrored-monkeys-tunic-top-5173.html

Looks cute, goes with my colors and I suspect that wearing it open and closed will give two slightly different looks.

Your trip sounds challenging. Layering is probably the only realistic option, but that means you have fewer choices for any one particular climate. I'm sure you'll have some good ideas to share...

Hi, I really like the Nick & Zoe tunic, & yes definitely two different looks buttoned or left undone. I really need to get cracking with my clothes planning. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I often travel carry-on with a small backpack as my personal item. I pack for 5 days only for my cruises and 3 week European trips. I weigh my clothes at home and only take the lightest tops that are wash and wear. Almost all my bottoms are black. Check out Rick Steves' women's packing list on his website. Packing cubes are my friend. On the ship use their laundry service and wash what you can in your sink. A few extra plastic hangers help for drying. In Paris rent an apartment with at least a washer and ideally a dryer. I've done that 3 times in Paris and enjoy settling in and living like a temporary local. Enjoy the freedom of traveling light!

• 3 weeks later...
So we're planning a wonderful trip next summer, a 12 night Med cruise followed by two weeks in Paris. I really, really need to do all of it with just what I can pack in a carry on. We don't want to be hauling tons of luggage from airport to dock, dock to train station, etc.

Can anyone share their secrets for a great looking European-worthy wardrobe that can fit into a carry on?

My first thought is to lose 10 lbs, since I think having fitted clothes is my best option for being stylish in Europe. :rolleyes: What else?

It is doable in a carry on if you plan on doing laundry. Check your Med cruise and see if you can snag a pre-paid deal to have a good bit of laundry done. If you haven't booked your Paris stay a hotel with a guest diy laundry option would be great. Failing that a hotel near a diy laundry would also work well.

Our hotel in Paris on our month long European trip didn't have guest laundry facilities but there was a neighborhood laundry nearby that did fold and wash for so much per weight of items. It ended up costing us 20 Euros to get all our clothing washed.

This really works best if you can keep your clothing all in one type of wash. For example I took care to pack all dark colored clothing able to withstand a warm wash. What few delicates I had I just filled a 3 oz travel sized bottle with laundry detergent and did in the sink.

I mention the color grouping thing because we made the mistake in San Juan a few years ago of dropping off a few items that needed to be in a separate light / white load. Yup you guessed it. Luckily none of the light / white items were items we cared if they were somewhat dingy blue from being washed with our jeans or pale pinky lavender from being washed with brightly colored shirts. :')