Formal wear

jay888

Do NOT go by what that states about jeans, shorts, etc., after 6pm. Just got off of the Divina and see those items worn at all times. Even on Formal Nights in the MDR. So, disregard those published statements. MSC does not enforce those things. If they do, I have never seen it on the previous 3 Divina cruises. JMHO!

I'm glad to hear that. We just booked a sailing on Seaside in March, this will be my first MSC experience after about a dozen cruises on other mainstream lines. While I will always wear khakis and collared shirts to dinner, and suits on formal nights, I also like to change into something casual like shorts after dinner to go out the rest of the evening (except on formal nights where I stay dressed up for the duration). So many common areas get packed with people and it gets hot easily, especially in Caribbean weather, so the thought of having to wear pants all night on a Caribbean cruise terrified me. Glad to know in that respect they're like Royal Caribbean and the others.

About the relaxed dress code on the Divina: There is a problem with the status match program that MSC is using to build a passenger base in the US. Because of the low cruise prices, many of the status match passengers are from the US entry level cruise lines (Carnival, NCL and RCI) where matching a baseball cap with the sneakers is formal wear. :cool:

So we have sailed 18 cruises in the last 8 yrs with our kiddos that are now 11 and 14 yrs old. 12 Disney cruises, 3 NCL, 1 Princess and 1 Fathom Adonia.

I would not say we are entry level cruisers by any means but we enjoy the more relaxed casual dressing on cruises especially on Disney. We vacation to relax and get away from dressing up daily. We love putting a summer dress (me) and khakis and relaxed shirt (DH) and kids very similar. Vacation is a time for us to get away from the "musts" of day to day life. Every one has different lives and desires when they select a vacation.

What about live and let live???

Yes, NCL does allow for a more relaxed experience and we choose those cruises just for fun family time away not for dress codes. We never do the track suit or baseball hats in the dining rooms but there are nights that we do allow kiddos to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner.

We are there to spend quality time together enjoying each other/appreciating the environment and opportunity to travel not try to impress our fellow passengers. Honestly, if you are consumed with thoughts about what others (judgement) are wearing you are not fully enjoying your time with your family. Those that judge others are often the most unkind people in the world. Maybe spend less time consumed about what others do/wear and more time just enjoying and appreciating the experience of vacation/family/meeting new people/sea/cruises. When your thoughts are filled with these loved centered values what others have on won't even cross your mind.

Edited by sunny2runner

So we have sailed 18 cruises in the last 8 yrs with our kiddos that are now 11 and 14 yrs old. 12 Disney cruises, 3 NCL, 1 Princess and 1 Fathom Adonia.

I would not say we are entry level cruisers by any means but we enjoy the more relaxed casual dressing on cruises especially on Disney. We vacation to relax and get away from dressing up daily. We love putting a summer dress (me) and khakis and relaxed shirt (DH) and kids very similar. Vacation is a time for us to get away from the "musts" of day to day life. Every one has different lives and desires when they select a vacation.

What about live and let live???

Yes, NCL does allow for a more relaxed experience and we choose those cruises just for fun family time away not for dress codes. We never do the track suit or baseball hats in the dining rooms but there are nights that we do allow kiddos to wear shorts and flip flops to dinner.

We are there to spend quality time together enjoying each other/appreciating the environment and opportunity to travel not try to impress our fellow passengers. Honestly, if you are consumed with thoughts about what others (judgement) are wearing you are not fully enjoying your time with your family. Those that judge others are often the most unkind people in the world. Maybe spend less time consumed about what others do/wear and more time just enjoying and appreciating the experience of vacation/family/meeting new people/sea/cruises. When your thoughts are filled with these loved centered values what others have on won't even cross your mind.

Couldn't agree more..... As a male I have now moved to just a long sleeve dress shirt (open collar) and dress pants on formal nights. My wife will dress up more as it seems more woman dress up more on cruises then men. To each their own. Its our vacation and I want to be comfortable. Even as dressed down as I am on formal nights....I still see uncollared shirts and shorts being worn in dining room every night by males...even on formal nights. If a cruise line wants to put the words "required attire" in their dress requirements....they best learn to enforce it so it has some bite. But now...many cruise lines just state "suggested attire" and even though they say uncollered shirts, shorts, caps, etc are not allowed....I never have seen anyone been asked to turn around. Probably an uncomfortable situation for Maitre D and staff....and bottom line...who is paying their salaries and putting fuel in the ship??

Most cruiselines now say SUGGESTED attire.

We have sailed MSC before the status match and even then not everyone was dressed up.

We were on Regent ( not an 'entry' level cruiseline) last year and they have totally dropped formal nights. Smart Casual for every night is their recommendation and I am sure that is fine for any upcoming MSC cruise.....especially in the Caribbean.

I think the formal attire started its decent back when they started imposing weight limits on luggage.

Found this:

In the evenings it's dressier, but more smart casual than formal, except for the two "elegant" (not formal) nights per cruise. Jackets for men (tie optional) and dresses or pantsuits for women are appropriate, but the code isn't strictly enforced. Suits, tuxes and ball gowns are not necessary, but many passengers do choose to dress to the nines, particularly on "Meet the Captain" night.

So there are no formal nights but elegant nights.

There is a Seaside menu for the MDR that states elegant as well.

About the relaxed dress code on the Divina: There is a problem with the status match program that MSC is using to build a passenger base in the US. Because of the low cruise prices, many of the status match passengers are from the US entry level cruise lines (Carnival, NCL and RCI) where matching a baseball cap with the sneakers is formal wear. :cool:

As a result, there is a struggle for the Divina staff to try to bring some passengers' dress up to standards. Unfortunately, there was a drop in enforcement between our 2016 cruise and our 2017 cruise. While many of the non-US passengers are turned out in formal wear on formal night or smart casual on the other nights, it was very easy to pick out the US passengers (very embarrassing for the rest of us US passengers).

So while it is possible that you might be able to dine in clothes that meet the standards of Carnival, NCL and RCI, you will also stick out among the more elegant passengers.

I loved the families that did follow the recommendations where the adults were appropiately dresses and yhe girls wore party dresses and the boys dress shirts and ties (some with jackets).

Ouch! These words are harsh! Our family is new to MSC and have cruised Disney mostly and Regent in the past (Certainly NOT "entry level". We are required to dress up for our jobs on a daily basis and would really rather not be expected to dress in ball gowns and tuxes during our vacations. We vacation to spend time together as a family and relax, unwind and leave the "real world" behind for a few days. Though I personally would not wear a "matching ball cap and sneakers" to dinner at night, I certainly do not plan on being dressed to the nines! I also will not feel embarrassed wearing my sundress and shall with my guys in their dockers and golf shirts! If people are going to feel embarrassed themselves for what I am wearing then that is theirs to deal with, and maybe they should relax and enjoy themselves rather than wasting the energy worrying about what others wear!

Does anyone know what is considered acceptable formal wear for children? I have an 11 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. I am especially concerned about the boy since it is easier to dress up sundresses for my daughter. Do boys need to wear ties and jackets? Or can they wear slacks/khakis and a dress shirt/collared polo shirt? And what about the other nights in the MDR? We are sailing the Seaview next summer in the Mediterranean. Thank you in advance for any insight you may have!

You will be fine having him in khakis and a polo or dress shirt when we were on Divina in Aug I saw many kids and a lot of young men in this outfit on the dressier nights from the YC down so it will be fine and you guys will have a blast. My son hates suits and this is his go-to outfit on ships on formal nights and we have never felt he was underdressed or had anyone say he was not properly dressed for the occasion.