Musings from Bridgetown to Fort Lauderdale Dec 17

eastwoodboy

Hi Spins,

I am determined to give it my best try, but I haven't had a good time yet, diningwise.

Have found a great trivia team, first yesterday, second today, so all is not lost.

Chef David on board, market visit tomorrow, so as I said, days OK, evenings are the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Say Hi to Chef David for us! We really enjoyed his company on Explorer last month. A man of many talents, and a fantastic asset to Silversea. He's a pretty good dancer, too.

48cfc1f3e15bd18526801f6da28155e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

As I start to take a closer look at the upper decks, I come upon the first shock as I return a book to what is laughingly referred to as the library - there is no outside forward observation deck. We are condemned to only seeing where we have been, never where we are going. What a shame.

Jolly,

I guess you visited Tors hang out.

I miss that forward outside deck too.

When we were aboard in October there was virtually no one in that place in the day, with the exception of the day we went through the Pamama canal, when it was SRO.

It's a serene place.

Another little used place was the deck area outside the Arts cafe. I spent some time there only to learn why it was deserted. The soot from the stacks will rain on you sometimes. Not good if you are wearing anything but black.

;-)

Yes stumble that's true of the spirit as well, but the one Jollys referring to was immediately forward of the Obs on the spirit.

As well that little side high top table in the alcove near the picture window on the Spirit, starboard side, is not on the Muse.

Sure there is! It's just out the side door, up a single flight of stairs, and covers the entirety of the library.

Of course I looked out there, but since deck 12 is not shown on deck plans aimed at passengers and the door is marked Emergency Exit, it seems perfectly clear that pax are not supposed to go up there.

Of course I looked out there, but since deck 12 is not shown on deck plans aimed at passengers and the door is marked Emergency Exit, it seems perfectly clear that pax are not supposed to go up there.
I respectfully disagree JollyJones as there is no alarm associated with the door. Since you looked out there, you know no emergency alarm sounded and saw it's a public space. If you were to ask the Hotel Director or Cruise Director I am sure they would tell you the same thing. It was the Cruise Consultant who showed me. I saw passengers exiting/entering through the door each time I was in the library, so in my opinion it is certainly clear passengers are allowed to go up there.

Just my two cents, but I imagine the reason the online deck plan doesn't show it is because it's the only area accessible to passengers on deck 12 and not worth drawing as it would make it harder to read the other decks online.

We also miss the outside area forward of the Observation (Tors) Lounge for its easy access. However, on a positive note, if it is windy or chilly, you can stay inside and have an unobstructed view forward. Deck 12 was quite crowded on our Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale trip especially during the sail up the Hudson River.

We also miss the outside area forward of the Observation (Tors) Lounge for its easy access. However, on a positive note, if it is windy or chilly, you can stay inside and have an unobstructed view forward. Deck 12 was quite crowded on our Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale trip especially during the sail up the Hudson River.

Agree with Jolly that it's not obvious, but it's there, and boy was it crowded for the SpaceX launch from Florida.

I will also admit that I didn't find it until my 3rd visit to the Obs lounge.

We were on the Muse in June/July and went up there for our first sail away. A very agitated waitress came rushing up the stairs and told us to go back down as we weren't allowed. I thought this odd as the only restrictions were at the back of the area cordoned off with tape and crew only notices. We took it up with the powers that be and we're told that of course we could go up there and in fact on one particularly spectacular sail away there were crew and passengers having a great impromptu party, very memorable.

Hi Eastwood... What do you think of the included wines? A good selection? Did they have a good selection of South American wines or still sticking to mostly French/Italian? How about entertainment? We're getting so excited about the upcoming Jan. 3rd cruise so reading your posts with great interest. Keep it up & enjoy every minute.

Well, now we have moved into the second half of our trip which has changed from long days in port to shorter stays and a few sea days coming up. This is the first sea day and there appears to be enough room for all in the open deck spaces.

As regards the question on wine I am not the best person to ask but I find them adequate if not special. Having had 4 dinners in La Terrazza the emphasis has of course been on Italian wines. A couple of excellent meals in Indochine have been with beers as I can not imagine any wine I would enjoy with the their food. I enjoy spicy food and find that the level of spice is just below the top of my range but some people would consider it overdone. In most cases some adjustment can be made if you discuss with the waiter. Our one meal in Atlantide was like the wine just alright nothing memorable. I am sure other people would have different perceptions and it is just a case of finding what works for you. Should you wish to try a specific wine in any location you only have to ask, it no problem.

So how do I view things now that I have have had time to consider most things?

First the good points which go without saying are the crew who make SS what it is.

Secondly the addition of the arts cafe which we have put to good use at various times of the day.

Thirdly Indochine which may not be to everyones taste but if the sweet and sour king prawns are on make sure you have room for them. Sheer bliss.

Lastly my impression of the food in general is that it has taken a slight step up and there are little improvements that have been made in a number of areas that have just made a slight difference.

On the down side our main bone of contention is Atlantide. We have had 3 interactions with this restaurant and all unsatisfactory. Firstly being unceremoniously barred on the first night which of course was the worst possible start. When we did get in for a meal it was alright but our least favourite meal to date. A morning at sea seemed to be a chance for it to redeem itself but sadly only made things worse. The service was appalling and when food did eventually arrive after 50 minutes it was lukewarm. We might give it another shot before the end as I am sure it must be better than we have found to date. However with the palaver to get in there I am not sure if we will bother. When Muse first sailed I seem to recall bookings were required for Atlantide and vociferous complaints were made to get things opened up. I am sorry but I would prefer to book rather than turn up and be barred to be left walking the decks in search of a decent meal. Has any consideration been given to allowing advance booking for say half the restaurant and first come first served for the rest?

The other downer is the outside space for Terrazza which is far too small and cluttered. The tables are all on top of each other and the other ships are so much better in this regard. Why were 2 serving stations situated either side of the main exit to the deck space as the combination of staff working from here and customers deciding where they are going is an accident waiting to happen. I do hope there is no change to the Spirit outside Terrazza when that is stretched.

So the adventure continues and tonight is the second formal night which did not show on Mysilversea and may have caught a few people out. No such problem for us as Terrazza is our sanctuary on formal nights.

Eastwood

I totally agree with you about LT outside space. There really isn't any space and the tables are ridiculously close. The two serving stations are badly placed immediateLy outside the door. There is a traffic jam there much of the time. As well, that central aisle gets slippery in the humidity. The tables for two along the banquettes are also very close together.

. The tables for two along the banquettes are also very close together.

Here is what happen; La Dame and La Terrazza were set up (on paper) for a lot of tables of four and Six. They found out later, most like to sit at tables of two. hence; spreading the tables apart took up a lot of room. Just FYI: all the chairs in Atlantide are to be bagged up and removed at the voyage end in Ft Lauderdale. Replaced with ?.

We had a good day; A guest on our deck, doing the Grand Cruise had a art show of all the paintings and drawing she did in the Lounge today. Copies of the art were up for auction with ALL the money going to the "Ship Crew Fund". The Captain and Staff really appreciate this kind of offerings. He told me; not too long-ago, they had enough money to send each and every crew member to the pyramids in Egypt, in two shifts over two days. It was a well done party and "Ship's Crew Fund" received a lot of money today....

Edited by carefreecruise

Interesting to read e'w'boy's continuing unease with Atlantide. I still haven't made it there for dinner, maybe tomorrow, I would like to see how it works ... or doesn't ...

I haven't been back to Indochine either, after the tasteless mush I was offered last time I'm in no rush to risk it again.

I have dined four times in Terrazza, three of those being at officer's tables which might say something about Atlantide - on other ships, tables hosted by officers were usually, tho' not invariably, in the MDR so this is a change. Maybe just a coincidence, I dunno.

Twice at Spaccanapoli, one of which was with my trivia team so much hilarity ensued. The pizzas are good, and with the addition of a salad brought up from the Grill it's not too awful a dietary disaster so it could become my go-to diner for times I'm feeling casual.

One evening I was at the Grill which was an almost complete disaster but it was the food, not the place. I like the Grill and will be there again tonight and I like the expanded menu (but RIP apple pie, I wish they'd resurrect you) however I will not be ordering the black bean veggie burger, that's one item that just shouldn't be there, it's a travesty even of a veggie burger and is not hot rock happy.

Just FYI: all the chairs in Atlantide are to be bagged up and removed at the voyage end in Ft Lauderdale. Replaced with ?.

When we were aboard in early October we were told by a senior officer that Atlantide was designed to seat many more guests. But the owner then insisted on using the large, plush, and very comfortable chairs. This greatly reduced the number of diners Atlantide could accommodate. So, I suspect that the replacement chairs will be much smaller (and less comfortable), and Atlantide will be able to seat more guests.

So we are now on a long leisurely crossing to Key West from Grand Turk. This gives plenty of time to reflect on the voyage and the new Muse.

The voyage itself has been wonderful with a marvellous crew and the most benign seas on board the quietest ship we have ever been on. Fellow guests have been a delight and all well behaved. The only exception is caused by the confusing dress code and one of the funniest moments to date was a real tantrum by one man objecting to another without a jacket in Terrazza one evening. I was most concerned for his blood pressure.

Will I cruise again on Muse? Well I have to say the answer is possibly rather than definitely. As I posted earlier there are a number of positives some of which are quite strong but there are two big negatives that we shall consider once back home. Much will depend on location and price. If it is in the right location then alright but I have seen some pricing that is just ridiculous when compared to the usual rates. When the dining concept of Muse was first revealed I welcomed the changes and I am sure some are delighted with how it works. For the way we dine I never thought I would say it but we miss the old MDR. At least with that you could just drift in when it suited and be given a fresh menu each evening. Here I find the menus repetitive and see no good reason for them to be on for so long at one time. I stand to be corrected but I am told that they change about every 7 days. Would it not be better to have say 3 menus that rotate every 3 days to give a bit of variety. Keeping everyone happy with dining is an impossible job but just a little more variety would make such a difference.

The other negative is the mess of the tables outside Terrazza but I suppose that can be worked around and just make sure your table is as far from the central doorway as possible.

Just need to make the most of the last day and a bit left of this adventure before worrying too much about the next.

Oh dear, tried Atlantide again this evening and turned away again at 8.10 and asked them to call us when a table ready. Call came 35 minutes later.

Starters and desserts were fine but both mains were luke warm. We appear to have a major problem with this venue.

I pretty much agree with e'w'boy for a general feel as the voyage is ending.

I did get to Atlantide to dine one evening but that was with Chef David so you can guess that we got wonderful service - dunno how I would fare on my own as a regular pleb. The food was fine altho' the portion sizes were odd - my starter barely fitted on the table and his was a tiny mound in the middle of a huge plate. Then my salad was served displayed around the rim of an otherwise empty plate - 'negative space' according to David, apparently the new trend ... sigh ... tasted OK tho'.

All four invitations I received to dine with officers were for Terrazza, plus I saw plenty of other officer tables in there, seems to reinforce the lack of seating in Atlantide. Sergiou, the Restaurant Manager, confirmed that the seats will be removed and replaced with slightly smaller ones in Fort Lauderdale but he says he doesn't see how that will help much, the tables will remain the same in number and size.

Another observation that won't bother many people - the Muse is a poor sunbathing ship. Deck 11 seems much narrower than the upper decks on the rest of the fleet so only has one row of loungers overlooking the pool, and they are at an odd angle to avoid impinging totally on the jogging track. The track itself is hideously ugly with quite unnecessarily large red and white stripes - looks like a slash of ketchup across a white shirt - with the orange fake teak and the grey, sharp-corned loungers, the effect is very discordant. There are some double wide loungers, which are comfortable but can't be re-angled to catch the sun. Then deck 10 has crowded double rows of loungers by the pool - beginning to look like a mainstream cruise ship. It was not easy some days to find a well shaded table for lunch because deck 11 is narrow; Hot Rocks will have a problem if it rains, they use far more tables than can fit under cover.

I will be back on the Muse - I have two cruises booked chosen specifically for the itineraries - but I am looking forward to getting back to the, I would have said familiar, Spirit but it'll be after she's been stretched so who knows what she'll be like. Apparently, not only is she being stretched but they are splitting the MDR into an Atlantide and Indochine ...

Oh dear, tried Atlantide again this evening and turned away again at 8.10 and asked them to call us when a table ready. Call came 35 minutes later.

If only you could have made a reservation! LOL ... Sorry, couldn’t resist! But I did question how no reservations would remove the problem of the more popular Atlantide being over subscribed.... unless menus were interchangeable with Indochine, which I suspect they’re still not?

Sniping about reservations is not helpful, particularly for those of us who used to enjoy the freedom on SS of being confident of getting dinner without signing our lives away months in advance.

And no, the menus for Atlantide and Indochine are not interchangeable, although Indochine does offer a separate simple menu that changes daily, ostensibly to offset the monotony of the regular menu but actually for 'people who don't like Asian stuff'.

Sniping about reservations is not helpful, particularly for those of us who used to enjoy the freedom on SS of being confident of getting dinner without signing our lives away months in advance.

And no, the menus for Atlantide and Indochine are not interchangeable, although Indochine does offer a separate simple menu that changes daily, ostensibly to offset the monotony of the regular menu but actually for 'people who don't like Asian stuff'.

Sniping? Hardly. My comment was clearly tongue in cheek and light hearted, though obviously my thoughts posted previously that making a smaller popular restaurant open seating would NOT solve the issues experienced when reservations were required. I doubt this is an isolated occurance though would be genuinely happy if the change proved successful.

It's good that SS seem to recognise Atlantide is the most popular and offer a small alternative menu for those in an Asian restaurant who don't like Asian food, though I expect a downgraded offering won't be acceptable to some either.

Reading the threads about solo dining and with the Spirit going the way of the Muse has me concerned. I was on a Seadream cruise once that was a dining struggle every night. I would get some invites from other passengers but they would get invited from the captain and would cancel .Most were couples dining with other couples. I got invited to the captains table twice but that was the only officers invite. There were only 2 single guys and we did not have anything in common so we just drifted around.:)