Norway from Copenhagen or Southampton?

I'm considering a Norwegian fjord cruise for 2014. I'd like to hear the advantages and disadvantages of both departure cities. I've travelled to both places, so neither will offer a new experience for me. I'm leaning towards Copenhagen because the port is convenient to the airport, and I won't have to cross the North Sea (which always seems to be rough). I thought it would be cheaper to fly to London, but as of now, it's not. The advantage would be simply that there are more flights from the US to London than to CPH.

Any thoughts about the ships, embarkation/debarkation, general experiences are welcome. Thanks.

If departure port is the only deciding point I´d lean towards CPH. It´s just a much shorter ride from Airport to port and if you wish you can easily spend some pre- or post cruise time in Copenhagen. Of course this is possible for London as well, but IMHO more of a hassle because of the distance to the port.

One Thing though I encountered this year on debarkation day. The line for Taxis was Long but the Taxis only came in one by one. We got off early and waited like an hour in line, when we left the line had easily doubled or trippled.

I'm considering a Norwegian fjord cruise for 2014. I'd like to hear the advantages and disadvantages of both departure cities. I've travelled to both places, so neither will offer a new experience for me. I'm leaning towards Copenhagen because the port is convenient to the airport, and I won't have to cross the North Sea (which always seems to be rough). I thought it would be cheaper to fly to London, but as of now, it's not. The advantage would be simply that there are more flights from the US to London than to CPH.

Any thoughts about the ships, embarkation/debarkation, general experiences are welcome. Thanks.

We just did the Norwegian Fjords and Arctic Circle on Vision this past June from Copenhagen and would do it again in a heartbeat. Copenhagen is a beautiful city with lots to see and do. Check-in at the port was quick and efficient as well as debarkation. We stayed at the Skandic Copenhagen both pre and post cruise. It is within walking distance to many of the major attractions.

Check airfare through Choice Air as you can save quite a bit of money with their international fares. We flew Business Class and save big bucks going through Choice Air.

Having cruised from both ports, we would choose Copenhagen (all other things being (or almost) equal. With most cruises that involve international flights, we prefer pre/post cruise hotel stays. Copenhagen is better suited for this. Also, transportaion to/from the airport is usually much more convenient, especially if one stays in the city proper.

We will be sailing out of Copenhagen next June aboard the Legend OTS.

Ray in NH

Archived