How To Create A Map For Blog For A Long Voyage Showing The Port Stops

Keith1010

I would like to create a map for a Blog I am working on that would show several port stops in a few continents. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi Keith - have you tried Google maps?

Ensure you are logged into Google services and in the main menu, use Your Places. Then in the Maps tab, click create a new map on the bottom, give it a proper name, plot all your ports (note - Google auto-saves), click the 3 vertical dots (it's a menu) next to your map name, select "Embed on my site" and up pops some html code for an iframe. Copy and paste into your blog site.

Your map needs to be public in order for this to work. So, click on the share icon and just make it public.

To edit the map at a future date, you will go into Your Places, then the Maps tab, click your map name, then Open in My Maps.

You should be able to do similar with other mapping services if you don't like Google Maps.

Ken

Ken, thank you very much.

When you say to be sure I am logged into Google Services can you please give me the URL for that.

Thank you.

Keith

Reading back my answer, I should have been more clear on this.

If you goto any Google site (www.google.com or maps.google.com, etc.), they always have a blue box on the top right of the page with the words "Sign In". Click it and sign in with your Google account.

However, if you are already signed in, it will instead show your profile photo or lacking that, the first letter of your first name I believe.

In your case, you can just visit https://maps.google.com

If you are unsure of your username and password, it would be the same as what you use to login to your Gmail.

If you don't have Gmail and have never login to any Google service or application in the past and don't have an account, then you'll have to create a Google account. To create an account, click the same blue box in the top right labelled with the words "Sign In". On the Sign In page, click More Options, then select Create Account. Then just follow the instructions.

This one account will give you access to everything Google including email (Gmail), cloud storage (Drive), Google+, etc, etc.

As an aside, all the maps you create are automatically saved on your account's Google Drive cloud storage area, which I believe you get 15GB of free storage space.

There's a lot you can do in Google Maps and it definitely helps with itinerary/trip planning, especially when planning with a group of people. Guess I should do a tutorial blog post on this.....one day.

Ken

You may also want to look at the Great Circle Mapper tool at http://www.gcmap.com

It works on using airport codes, so you will have to look these up.

Here is a map for a cruise I took earlier this year

http://Http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sin-pyx,pyx-sgn,sgn-nha,nha-hkg

Sent from my Metal using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
I have to say I am still struggling with all of this.

I can't seem to do it with Google and the other sites mentioned.

Should anyone have any additional suggestions I would appreciate if you share them.

Thanks,

Keith

Hey Keith,

Let's see if I can figure out what's happening (I still think you should do this with Google Maps).

Can you tell me how far you've gotten to? What have you been able to do, and what are you having problems with specifically? Are you using a computer (Windows, Mac?) or your phone or something else?

I did this really quick map and just wanted to find out....is this the basic idea of what you were hoping to achieve? Click

below and have a quick look and click on each city. Then give me some comments and I'll get a better idea.

Map for Keith

Note: It's not in a blog post - I'm just sharing the map. But it's a simple matter to stick that into a blog post. One step at a time.

Ken

Ken, seeing your map helped me a lot.

I just played around creating a map with just a few places and I think I got it.

I will work on it this week and will come back with questions.

Thank you.

Keith

Glad you're making progress!

Would love to see your creation when you're done!

Let me know if you have further questions.

Ken