Where is Adventure docking for St. Thomas?

I think I read that the ship is NOT docking at the usual pier at Charlotte Amalie. Is that accurate? If so, where is Royal docking its ships for visits to St. Thomas? How long are these alternative arrangements intended to be in place? Trying to identify the best way to get to St. John while there in mid-February and where the ship is obviously makes a difference. Thanks for those in-the-know!

I think I read that the ship is NOT docking at the usual pier at Charlotte Amalie. Is that accurate? If so, where is Royal docking its ships for visits to St. Thomas? How long are these alternative arrangements intended to be in place? Trying to identify the best way to get to St. John while there in mid-February and where the ship is obviously makes a difference. Thanks for those in-the-know!

All of Royal's ships are docking at Crown Bay.

Look into Royal's "St. John on your own excursion". Picks you up and drops you off at the ship. No need to take a taxi to the ferry. wait for the ferry, etc.

All of Royal's ships are docking at Crown Bay.

Look into Royal's "St. John on your own excursion". Picks you up and drops you off at the ship. No need to take a taxi to the ferry. wait for the ferry, etc.

I have that excursion booked. I was just curious about where the ship would be docked. The added distance from St. John may result in less time on the island. However, you're right - given the distance from Red Hook, the RCL transportation is still our best option. Thanks!

I have that excursion booked. I was just curious about where the ship would be docked. The added distance from St. John may result in less time on the island. However, you're right - given the distance from Red Hook, the RCL transportation is still our best option. Thanks!

You're welcome, and maybe you can post some feedback when you return? I'm curious about the logistics myself.

In October 2016 all (not just Oasis class ships) RCI ships started docking at Crown Bay...according to the agreement signed it will be this way for the next 10 years...Sad since many of us loved and will miss Havensight.

Bob...I will report back. Keep in mind my cruise isn't until February. In the meantime, if the docking location changes (I'm on ADVENTURE, not on an Oasis Class vessel), please let me know.

No problem.:)

We normally walk from the port to town .The last time I was in St.Thomas ,earlier this year we docked at Crown Point .We walked to town but it was very strange because we were the only people walking.We returned by taxi.

Agree. The walk from Havensight to Charlotte Amalie and back is a lot nicer than the walk from Crown Bay to Charlotte Amalie. Celebrity is also now using Crown Bay. Bummer!

Edited by davekathy

Was the change in docking location necessitated by storm damage, or were there other reasons for the change? Just wondering if this is permanent for only the larger ships or for all ships. Thanks!

The change to Crown Bay was made long before the recent storms. I don't know the reason, but it's possible there was a financial incentive to the cruise line.

The change to Crown Bay was made long before the recent storms. I don't know the reason, but it's possible there was a financial incentive to the cruise line.

That's interesting and I wonder if it explains my "St. John on Your Own" excursion. I booked our February cruise well over a year in advance. We were thrilled to find the St. John on Your Own option to the Red Hook Ferry do-it-yourself option and booked right away. Months ago, the excursion was canceled, with an unbelievable explanation that too few people had purchased it. Given the cancellation came 5-6 months prior to our sail date, that made NO sense. Only a few of us UBER-planners book excursions so far in advance. Then, very shortly afterward, the excursion reappeared as an option on the website, but it was $10 more than the original cost. Still worthwhile given the combined taxi/ferry costs of the DIY option, so I rebooked. I checked recently and the excursion is NOW being offered at even $10 above what we paid the second time we booked - $20 more than or original booking. I now suspect it may have to do with the distance from the port?? Would LOVE to hear from someone who has done the excursion since the pier change, but I suspect that's unlikely before our February cruise. In either event, I will certainly report back concerning our experience.

That's interesting and I wonder if it explains my "St. John on Your Own" excursion. I booked our February cruise well over a year in advance. We were thrilled to find the St. John on Your Own option to the Red Hook Ferry do-it-yourself option and booked right away. Months ago, the excursion was canceled, with an unbelievable explanation that too few people had purchased it. Given the cancellation came 5-6 months prior to our sail date, that made NO sense. Only a few of us UBER-planners book excursions so far in advance. Then, very shortly afterward, the excursion reappeared as an option on the website, but it was $10 more than the original cost. Still worthwhile given the combined taxi/ferry costs of the DIY option, so I rebooked. I checked recently and the excursion is NOW being offered at even $10 above what we paid the second time we booked - $20 more than or original booking. I now suspect it may have to do with the distance from the port?? Would LOVE to hear from someone who has done the excursion since the pier change, but I suspect that's unlikely before our February cruise. In either event, I will certainly report back concerning our experience.

Interesting, I tend to agree that RC's reason of lack of participation 5-6 months in advance is a bit hard to believe. Thanks for the explanation.

And the plot thickens. I gathered information about this excursion originally on the port of call boards, through back-and-forth posts with someone who had previously done it. She gave me lots of valuable details/timelines. I had forgotten, but she indicated she had booked the same excursion on an upcoming cruise she was doing on Celebrity, but the cost was $10 more because Celebrity docked at Crown Bay, not Havensight, and it was further. I believe this confirms my suspicions. Hoping to hear from someone who did the excursion from Crown Bay - maybe on Celebrity. (The poster I mentioned has not yet taken her Celebrity cruise and won't until March.) I will report back if I hear anything new.

We normally walk from the port to town .The last time I was in St.Thomas ,earlier this year we docked at Crown Point .We walked to town but it was very strange because we were the only people walking.We returned by taxi.

Isn’t that funny? When we were there in March of 2016 we walked from havensight and we were the only ones doing so. We, too, took a taxi back.

In October 2016 all (not just Oasis class ships) RCI ships started docking at Crown Bay...according to the agreement signed it will be this way for the next 10 years...Sad since many of us loved and will miss Havensight.

That timing sounds right. We were in Havensight spring of ‘16 and heard soon after that they were moving to Crown.

Thank you. I had somehow missed this post:

Originally posted by Ashland
>

The cancellation of the original booking of our "St. John on Your Own" excursion was received on September 6th. Ironic, given the timing of Hurricane Irma, but I don't think it was related to the storms. I now have to wonder if the cancellation and re-pricing was due to the knowledge of the switching of piers, particularly given the fact that Celebrity charged $10 more for the excursion due to docking at Crown Bay. Hmmm...