half day trip buck island v half day on the beaches

nbhwarrior

• 2 weeks later...
The trip out to buck island and the beach there is gorgeous. I'm not a big snorkeler but my family loves the Reef. It's a 30 minute ride to the christiansted dock but I think worth it. Then have lunch at Rumrunners

Thanks lovestx for your input

I am hoping to get a comparison between the two

nbhwarrior,

It's tough to compare the two options. If you are looking at cost and access comparison, beaches like Rainbow and Sandcastles would win vs. Buck Island. I am having a hard time commenting on the beaches as I know there was significant sand erosion at Rainbow (one of my favorite spots on the island) and, to a lesser extent, Sandcastles. I'm just not sure how lovely they are now. It would be great if Drake could comment as he lives in the Frederiksted area.

We've been visiting STX annually since 1998 and now spend the winters there. There are many lovely beaches and lots of friendly people for you to experience. And Buck Island is a treasure.

nbhwarrior,

It's tough to compare the two options. If you are looking at cost and access comparison, beaches like Rainbow and Sandcastles would win vs. Buck Island. I am having a hard time commenting on the beaches as I know there was significant sand erosion at Rainbow (one of my favorite spots on the island) and, to a lesser extent, Sandcastles. I'm just not sure how lovely they are now. It would be great if Drake could comment as he lives in the Frederiksted area.

We've been visiting STX annually since 1998 and now spend the winters there. There are many lovely beaches and lots of friendly people for you to experience. And Buck Island is a treasure.

Thanks lovestx

Drake i would like to here your opinion

THanks

The beaches are a little rough guys, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. All the west end beaches suffered erosion from the storms, including Sandcastle and Rainbow. That being said they do get better every day, every wave is bringing the sand back up on the beach. At this point it's a good idea to wear water shoes and just walk on the rocks as needed, the water is still warm and clear.

The beaches are a little rough guys, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. All the west end beaches suffered erosion from the storms, including Sandcastle and Rainbow. That being said they do get better every day, every wave is bringing the sand back up on the beach. At this point it's a good idea to wear water shoes and just walk on the rocks as needed, the water is still warm and clear.

Thanks Drake, looks like buck island it is

Hi Drake,

We have only 1/2 day in St Croix, an all onboard at 12.30.

I haven't been able to find a trip to Buck Island that gets us back in time. We generally enjoy being on or near the water... as opposed to doing city or walking tours.

Do you have any other suggestions for our half day?

Thx!

Hi Drake,

We have only 1/2 day in St Croix, an all onboard at 12.30.

I haven't been able to find a trip to Buck Island that gets us back in time. We generally enjoy being on or near the water... as opposed to doing city or walking tours.

Do you have any other suggestions for our half day?

Thx!

I would certainly not try getting to Buck island and back, there just isn't enough time.

I would go to Rhythms to eat, drink, and swim. It's close enough to the pier to really enjoy your short day here.

Cruiznuts- I believe you are on the Gem 1/3/2018 sailing as I recognize your name from the Roll Call. NCL posted a Buck Island trip to our excursion list yesterday. I’m considering it for DH and I- but it looks like it’s the entire 5 hours in port. Hope that helps you if you wanted to see Buck Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Cruiznuts- I believe you are on the Gem 1/3/2018 sailing as I recognize your name from the Roll Call. NCL posted a Buck Island trip to our excursion list yesterday. I’m considering it for DH and I- but it looks like it’s the entire 5 hours in port. Hope that helps you if you wanted to see Buck Island!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did anyone take the ship tour? We are considering it for our cruise next week.