Nieuw Amsterdam itinerary change for October 28, 2017

Charlie1422

I just read the itinerary change for the above cruise and I'm confused. Nassau has been substituted for Grand Turk, but the ports of San Juan and St. Thomas are still listed. Have I misunderstood the amount of damage these islands have suffered? Can they get things up and running in a month? I hope they can as the people need the tourist dollars, but it is surprising to me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I'd expect more changes. We're on the NA a couple weeks after you, and I'll be surprised if we stop at San Juan or St. Thomas. On the bright side, our travel policy pays on itinerary changes. We picked our cruise because it fit our time frame so a Mystery Cruise doesn't hurt our feelings. According to their site, HAL is supposed to have an update out by today.

just checked on our 11-12 Eurodam...St. Maarten off and St. Croix in...but San Juan still showing. Also still showing my booked tour in St. Maarten...guess I will have to cancel...I would think that perhaps they would cancel it since we are not visiting St. Maarten?

We're on this cruise for the 14 night back to back.

I just checked, and Grand Turk has been replaced with Nassau. San Juan and St Thomas are still showing, but I suspect they will be changed.

We dont necessarily cruise for the ports, as much as the region, so it wont impact us as much as some others who may have had reasons to visit a particular stop.

I too would be surprised by St.Thomas - but they do have TWO cruise ship docking areas and perhaps one is more heavily damaged but the other one in better shape?

A number of years ago (like over 20) after a hurricane hit the AVI quite badly, on St. Croix the primary cruise ship area pier was totally out of commission. However, we docked (or perhaps went on tenders) to a port on the opposite side of the island and they bussed us from there. (On a Princess ship.) While there certainly was visible damage in many areas of the island, most of the tours were doable and passengers were happy to be able to help the island economy. Because of having been there several times I had decided to just walk around prior to the storm news Where we went ashore there were some wonderful bars/restaurants with outdoor spaces. Those of us who stayed in that area had a WONDERFUL time as several local bands took turns entertaining us and the beer was great! We certainly did contribute to at least the economy of those local establishments. Life went on! Now, this is not to downplay the extreme hardships the island overall was experiencing, just to show their spunk and attempts to keep what money they could rolling in.

Just talked to HAL. They stated they anticipated no further changes other than Nassau for Grand Turk. They said San Juan and St Thomas will be operational by then. I find that hard to believe, but we shall see. Looking forward to the cruise regardless of where we go.
The ports may be operational, but if the cities are disaster areas, that will be an exciting adventure in tourism.

We are scheduled for Grand Turk 11/6 and so far no changes to Nassau, wonder if it will be changed. Also wonder about Amber Cove???? If anyone knows anything please post. Thanks

I think Amber Cove is OK. Here is a link to visiting ship schedule and web cam. Looks like 2 Carnival ships arrive tomorrow.

http://www.ambercove.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

I think it's despicable that cruise lines still call on ports that have been devastated by hurricanes. Yes, the ship may legally be able to dock, but what will you see on the island ? Miles of totally destroyed shops, homes, stores. Yes, these islands desperately need tourist dollars, but at what price on the people trying to rebuild while thousands of tourists are riding around in air conditioned buses, gawking at their misery in the sweltering heat with little or no food, water or power for air conditioning. Give these people a break and let them recover. The food and water used (and mostly wasted) by tourists are desperately needed by many people on that island, but the tourists will pay much more for it, so that's where it goes.

No, it was a definite cruise ship and the news was very specific that it was the first cruise ship to return.

Saw that Key West had it's first post Irma ship over the weekend. I haven't seen anything about a cruise ship in St. Thomas other than the small FEMA chartered cruise ship that arrived for the first responders.

Saw that Key West had it's first post Irma ship over the weekend. I haven't seen anything about a cruise ship in St. Thomas other than the small FEMA chartered cruise ship that arrived for the first responders.

Gees I swear they said St. Thomas, but maybe it was Key West. I am just happy to see some ships returning to these devistated places that we all love to stop at.

I'd expect more changes. We're on the NA a couple weeks after you, and I'll be surprised if we stop at San Juan or St. Thomas. On the bright side, our travel policy pays on itinerary changes. We picked our cruise because it fit our time frame so a Mystery Cruise doesn't hurt our feelings. According to their site, HAL is supposed to have an update out by today.

The old city of San Juan has been there for centuries and it (and its port) has survived many hurricanes. The urban area - where the pier is located - is most likely to be up and running - that is where aid to the island, as well as badly needed tourist revenue, comes in. Much of the rest of the island will take much longer before it can welcome tourists, but San Juan itself may very well be up and running within a month.

Most of us are aware of the long history of the port of San Juan. The question is whether or not the island will be able to support the needs of a large number of tourist in a such a short time after major infrastructure destruction. As far as supporting the people, I have made my donations to relief efforts and I suppose some would say selfishly, I would like to enjoy a port visit somewhere that is prepared to handle the amount of people that a cruise ship brings.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

There were buildings collapsing in old San Juan. The FEMA Director for PR said if you're not a first responder stay away. They are so short on fuel, bridges are out, roads washed out, and they don't want what resources they have diverted to tourism at this time. Almost 90% of farms were wiped out, so fresh food is non-existent. San Juan may "function", but that's a relative term.

I think it's despicable that cruise lines still call on ports that have been devastated by hurricanes. Yes, the ship may legally be able to dock, but what will you see on the island ? Miles of totally destroyed shops, homes, stores. Yes, these islands desperately need tourist dollars, but at what price on the people trying to rebuild while thousands of tourists are riding around in air conditioned buses, gawking at their misery in the sweltering heat with little or no food, water or power for air conditioning. Give these people a break and let them recover. The food and water used (and mostly wasted) by tourists are desperately needed by many people on that island, but the tourists will pay much more for it, so that's where it goes.

Agreed

Really Agree. At this point Food, Water, Fuel (gas/diesel), Electricity and Truck Drivers are all in very short supply. I just can't see what kind of tours, other than of the devastation, would be available in San Juan for many months to come. The island is going to take a long time to get back to anything like normal before it got hammered by 2 Hurricanes in 2 weeks. Also, hurricane season still has a month to go. Another strike, even a light one, is going to increase the recovery time.

We are booked on Nov. 11 and itinerary does say San Juan and St. Thomas, but the HA agent said she was sure that would change and St. Croix would be one of the changes. I can't imagine they can go to San Juan. I wonder how long before they make official changes? I'm assuming HA would advise cruisers directly?