No deposits for solos on HAL?

vms

I debated about posting on the HAL board or here, but I'm starting with the Solo board since I think there's a better chance someone here will know.

I found an interesting HAL cruise with a low single-supplement. I haven't previously cruised HAL before. When I went in to make the booking, expecting to pay just a deposit, the website showed that I would have to pay the full price- no deposit was available. This is for a cruise in November 2018, so not after final payment.

I've never seen something like this before. Is this a solo-thing, a HAL thing, or just this particular cruise thing? The cruise is 18 day Hawaii RT from San Diego.

HAL recently has been offering reduced deposits on some sailings but they are non-refundable. Maybe they were trying something different with solo travelers, as well.

Have you tried calling HAL instead of purchasing on-line? They might be able to explain why the full amount is due so early (or maybe it is a glitch in their system).

ETA - I just did a dummy booking as a single and then as a double. The single made me pay the entire amount now whereas the double gave you a choice of paying the whole amount or $600 or any amount between the two. I hope you call them and find out why the discrimination against solo cruisers.:confused::mad:

Edited by Scrapnana

ETA - I just did a dummy booking as a single and then as a double. The single made me pay the entire amount now whereas the double gave you a choice of paying the whole amount or $600 or any amount between the two. I hope you call them and find out why the discrimination against solo cruisers.:confused::mad:

Thanks for double checking! I did a dummy booking on two different computers, just to make sure it wasn't operating system or browser based, and I'm relieved to know the issue can be replicated.

I also tried booking through some online travel agents and either couldn't get the same rate or was told no cabins were available for only 1 person. I will call and see what they say.

Apparently it is a website problem- I'm so used to complaints about Celebrity's website, it didn't even occur to me that would be an issue on another line. :')

I could put down a $300 deposit via the phone, which is non-refundable, as Scrapnana said. No idea when the website will be fixed, but good to know for others who may be looking at deals.

I debated about posting on the HAL board or here, but I'm starting with the Solo board since I think there's a better chance someone here will know.

I found an interesting HAL cruise with a low single-supplement. I haven't previously cruised HAL before. When I went in to make the booking, expecting to pay just a deposit, the website showed that I would have to pay the full price- no deposit was available. This is for a cruise in November 2018, so not after final payment.

I've never seen something like this before. Is this a solo-thing, a HAL thing, or just this particular cruise thing? The cruise is 18 day Hawaii RT from San Diego.

Ask the question on HALs Facebook and twitter pages. You will get a fast response.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently it is a website problem- I'm so used to complaints about Celebrity's website, it didn't even occur to me that would be an issue on another line. :')

I could put down a $300 deposit via the phone, which is non-refundable, as Scrapnana said. No idea when the website will be fixed, but good to know for others who may be looking at deals.

What is the cruise that has good solo pricing? which ship?

I may be out of the loop but what cruise lines now have deposits that are non-refundable? When did this start?

This is news to me. I see it is HAL and recently came across it on RCCL; any others? On RCCL a refundable deposit cruise was $300 more!

Is this just for solo bookings or all bookings?

Not very good customer service, seems like customer gouging/money grabing. :( Some deposits are quite high.

Certainly would make me hesitate with booking those cruise lines.

Thanks!!

Safe sailing all!

• 3 weeks later...
What is the cruise that has good solo pricing? which ship?

Eurodam 18 day Hawaii cruise RT San Diego on November 11, 2018. The single supplement for an inside was around $300. Not sure if it's still available and you may need to call since the deposit was non-refundable and the website wouldn't allow me to book just the deposit and not pay the cruise in full at time of booking.

At the time, only insides and outsides had the discounted supplements. I booked a cabana for the length of the cruise when I put down my deposit and got everything for several thousand dollars less than booking a balcony cabin. I'll need to put clothes on and not wander around in my PJs, but otherwise I feel like I got the best of both worlds as a solo traveler!