ATMs: Grytviken, South Georgia

Wayfairers

No ATMs.

Falkland Islands pound is on parity with UK pound. You can used UK Sterling in the Falkland Islands. Ask the excursion people do they take US dollars in payment.

Enjoy your cruise, which will be a trip of a lifetime.

Edited by MMDown Under

No ATM in Grytviken, but the post office accepts bank cards. There is a £20 minimum though.

We had a prebooked excursion in Stanley and then wandered around town. We only happened upon one shop that was cash only and were able to use card most others. I believe we could have withdrawn money from our debit card account inside the bank, but we didn't bother.

I did feel foolish (in both places) that I had forgotten to pack our GBP currency.

No ATM in Grytviken, but the post office accepts bank cards. There is a £20 minimum though.

Are you saying the post office accepts bank cards for purchases? Or that you can withdraw money from the post office using your ATM or debit card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you saying the post office accepts bank cards for purchases? Or that you can withdraw money from the post office using your ATM or debit card?

For purchases.

However, if there are some people you know from your ship who are paying cash, youcould always arrange to pay for their purchases by card in exchange for cash.

For purchases.

However, if there are some people you know from your ship who are paying cash, youcould always arrange to pay for their purchases by card in exchange for cash.

Yeah, we have done that before. Works well for both parties. We have some GBPs, just don’t think we have enough to pay for a tour.

I do wonder if the locals just barter for everything. Since there are no ATMs, I am assuming there are no banks and their only way of getting cash is when visitors pay them for tours or goods.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do wonder if the locals just barter for everything. Since there are no ATMs, I am assuming there are no banks and their only way of getting cash is when visitors pay them for tours or goods.

I cannot imagine bartering for a Land Rover. [emoji849][emoji41]

Yeah, we have done that before. Works well for both parties. We have some GBPs, just don’t think we have enough to pay for a tour.

What kind of tour you expect to take. The only places to to buy anything are the gift shop and PO. Locals ??

What kind of tour you expect to take. The only places to to buy anything are the gift shop and PO. Locals ??

Although I didn’t spell it out I was talking about both South Georgia and the Falklands with that comment. There are some hiking tours on South Georgia

• 3 weeks later...
Are there ATMs in Grytviken, South Georgia? I heard there isn’t in the Falklands and we are supposed to pay cash for an excursion in Port Stanley. Grytviken is our stop before Port Stanley.

You’ll need to bring either US$ or British Pounds to pay for excursions and buy local trinkets, food, or beer.

Are there ATMs in Grytviken, South Georgia? I heard there isn’t in the Falklands and we are supposed to pay cash for an excursion in Port Stanley. Grytviken is our stop before Port Stanley.

Just returned from an expedition to the Falklands and South Georgia. In Grytviken, the PO accepted US cash and museum gift store accepted credit cards and cash (e.g., US, UK). We used US cash - good to bring some small bills (1s and 5s) as change can be limited.

We didn't make any large purchases in Grytviken or Stanley.

As of November 2017, no ATMs in Grytviken or Stanley.

In Stanley, we purchased a fish & chips lunch at a pub and an afternoon coffee/tea with US dollars. Poseidon Expeditions covered our museum entry fee.

Bob