Into the Midnight Sun June 5-19, 2016

Hawkmoth

Nice to har about your cruise.

We have done Viking riverboats.

On the Ocean cruise did you dock or tender in the ports?

Also did they have the different level tours? Like gentle walkers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a thread from last year and I believe a couple ports were changed this year. Next year more ports might be changed, not sure what the itinerary is. However, we did Midnight Sun in (I think!) late June of this year, and here's what I remember based on that cruise:

I believe we docked in Kirkwall, Leknes, Honnigsvag, Tromso, Molde and Bergen. We weren't able to get to Lerwick due to weather, but had been scheduled to dock at ferry port. Most cruise ships, however, tender in from a location not too far from center of town. In a couple places like Leknes, whether you dock or tender depends upon how many ships are there same day and where port assigns you. In Greenwich, there was an easy and easily accessible tender ride from shore to the ship, which was anchored close by. In Honningsvag, you could get the easy dock location but we did not, as another ship was assigned there. We docked, but it was a long, steep climb down to the pier. In Geiranger, most ships anchor (as Viking did) but they also have a "bridge" (long platform) that can be wheeled out in the water and then people walk to the shore. We were tendered; a huge ship was using the bridge. Either way, you'll need some time to get ashore there.

The tour groups are not separated by any level of ability. However, each excursion has a designation of easy, hard, etc. and comments as to what's required. Online I think you need to click on something at the beginning or end of the description to get information on just how much you'll have to do - cobblestones, walk for less than half hour, standing, elevation changes, etc. I felt the descriptions were pretty accurate, although keep in mind that in Europe, people walk more than the average American/Canadian, so what a vendor tells Viking is "easy" may not be easy for some of us!

I have photos of our cruise here: www.pbase.com/roothy123 You may have to scroll down a ways to find the Midnight Sun galleries.

Enjoy the cruise. It's a great one.

Oh, I forgot beautiful Edinburgh. That's a city with quite a few different port locations for cruises and none of them are ideal. We docked in Rosyth, but it was up quite a ways away from Edinburgh, and in a military area, which made security a little slower than usual. We had to ride a shuttle bus to outside the port area. If you port there, make SURE you have your key card or the whole busload of cruisers is delayed. Port was very secure. Other cruise lines use other places, often with tendering required. Viking seems to avoid having to tender from what I've seen, but sometimes in my opinion it creates more trouble than it's worth. But some people don't like to tender, so I understand.....

Anyway, if you see "Rosyth" beside Edinburgh, that means it's quite likely that you'll dock. It's a bit difficult to get to Edinburgh on your own from there, although I imagine cabs might be available outside the secure area. However, I would recommend just taking one of Viking's excursions from Rosyth or else arranging your own. Edinburgh's a wonderful place to visit, but getting there on a cruise isn't always easy.

Oh, I forgot beautiful Edinburgh. That's a city with quite a few different port locations for cruises and none of them are ideal. We docked in Rosyth, but it was up quite a ways away from Edinburgh, and in a military area, which made security a little slower than usual. We had to ride a shuttle bus to outside the port area. If you port there, make SURE you have your key card or the whole busload of cruisers is delayed. Port was very secure. Other cruise lines use other places, often with tendering required. Viking seems to avoid having to tender from what I've seen, but sometimes in my opinion it creates more trouble than it's worth. But some people don't like to tender, so I understand.....

Anyway, if you see "Rosyth" beside Edinburgh, that means it's quite likely that you'll dock. It's a bit difficult to get to Edinburgh on your own from there, although I imagine cabs might be available outside the secure area. However, I would recommend just taking one of Viking's excursions from Rosyth or else arranging your own. Edinburgh's a wonderful place to visit, but getting there on a cruise isn't always easy.

You cannot get off the ship without your keycard as it must be tapped at the security desk before you are allowed off the ship and it must be tapped again as you return. At some ports, you will have to show your keycard before you are permitted to enter the dock area.

If you look on your Viking invoice (not page 1), it gives you your itinerary with the times you will be in port. Any port that is marked with a big red anchor is a tender port.

You cannot get off the ship without your keycard as it must be tapped at the security desk before you are allowed off the ship and it must be tapped again as you return. At some ports, you will have to show your keycard before you are permitted to enter the dock area.

If you look on your Viking invoice (not page 1), it gives you your itinerary with the times you will be in port. Any port that is marked with a big red anchor is a tender port.

I suspect Roothy123 and I were on the same cruise, and on the same bus for the Edinburgh excursion. You cannot get off the ship without your room card, but when we were coming back, the security for the dock did not just check with the driver, he got on the bus and asked to see everyone's card. It's the only time I've seen dock security do that. One guest could not find her card. We were sent out to an external office and the couple had to get off the bus. We had to wait on the bus for them to be cleared and put back on. The bus was not permitted to take the rest of us to the ship in spite of all having our cards. It was a very unpleasant experience. The tour had been a bit tiring because of Edinburgh traffic, and we were getting close to the end of the lunch service on the ship (which, by the way, Viking very nicely keeps open for late returning excursions). Everyone, including the tour guide, suggested that the security guard was enjoying his power. Many of the things that can go wrong have nothing to do with Viking.

Oh, that is so sad that the whole bus was delayed because of one person!! It certainly explains roothy's comment. I know at times when we've returned from a tour I've temporarily panicked while looking for my keycard that I placed in a very specific pocket in my bag. I would have been mortified had I been that passenger.

Oh, that is so sad that the whole bus was delayed because of one person!! It certainly explains roothy's comment. I know at times when we've returned from a tour I've temporarily panicked while looking for my keycard that I placed in a very specific pocket in my bag. I would have been mortified had I been that passenger.

I'm roothy, just using someone else's computer to save a little time. Yes, sounds like Richard2 was on the same bus I was. It seemed rather ridiculous to make us all wait. I did, however, feel sorry for the person who couldn't find her card - embarrassing!

On a cruise I end up taking that key card out so much (in, off ship or into room, etc) that long ago I decided to make it easy on myself. Besides, I hate that panicky and disorganized feeling I get when I'm approaching the ship or tender boat and have to go looking for the card. Now I wear a simple but very pretty lanyard I got on eBay (beads and clay) that has a plastic insert for something around the size of a credit card - perfect for a key card. Once ashore, I usually put it behind my shirt so it's safe - and not highly visible.

I'm roothy, just using someone else's computer to save a little time. Yes, sounds like Richard2 was on the same bus I was. It seemed rather ridiculous to make us all wait. I did, however, feel sorry for the person who couldn't find her card - embarrassing!

On a cruise I end up taking that key card out so much (in, off ship or into room, etc) that long ago I decided to make it easy on myself. Besides, I hate that panicky and disorganized feeling I get when I'm approaching the ship or tender boat and have to go looking for the card. Now I wear a simple but very pretty lanyard I got on eBay (beads and clay) that has a plastic insert for something around the size of a credit card - perfect for a key card. Once ashore, I usually put it behind my shirt so it's safe - and not highly visible.

It is just really important to know that because of the electronics, you cannot punch a whole in your keycard. You have to use a lanyard that allows you to slip in into a plastic sleeve.

It is just really important to know that because of the electronics, you cannot punch a whole in your keycard. You have to use a lanyard that allows you to slip in into a plastic sleeve.

Yes, that's true - thanks for mentioning it. What I use is really a plastic holder for a nametag, so the whole card slips in there. I've also got a wrist wrap with zippered compartment for card or keys.