Does Oceania ever offer "complimentary" beverage packages?

mafig

Does Oceania ever offer "complimentary" beverage packages?

I know they're not really complimentary, but we've become spoiled by Celebrity and our upcoming cruise in MSC's Yacht Club also offers a package.

There's a Oceania itinerary that's really calling me.:p

They offer on some sailings the O Life perks where you can get wine (by the glass) & beer at lunch & dinner

Once onboard you can upgrade to the Prestige Beverage package for $20 pp pd

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/olife-ultimate/

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/olife-choice/

Edited by LHT28

If your ta gives you a big enough obc it will easily cover beverages for the "average" drinker. Add to that the events with free drinks and the fact you cAn drink much as you want in your cabin and it should not be an issue

If your ta gives you a big enough obc it will easily cover beverages for the "average" drinker. Add to that the events with free drinks and the fact you cAn drink much as you want in your cabin and it should not be an issue

We really don't drink that much, but I like having a package. Last cruise we especially liked having free water.

"and the fact you can drink as much as you want in your cabin...."

I don't know what this means.

I've never been on Oceania, so I'm not familiar with anything really. Just starting my research.

We really don't drink that much, but I like having a package. Last cruise we especially liked having free water.

I've never been on Oceania, so I'm not familiar with anything really. Just starting my research.

It means you can take wine or spirits to drink in your cabin

You can take wine to the dining venues & pay the corkage fee

all non alcoholic beverages are all complimentary eg: Bottled water, sodas, coffees, milkshakes etc

I like that there are free bottles of water at the gangway when going ashore. We like sparkling water at dinner and that's complimentary too.

And cappuccinos in Barista!

If you drink the Drink Package is really worth the price even if you have to pay the extra.

The drinks package is a huge benefit... on a 10 day cruise, without it you can easily rack up $1000 pp in bar bill !!! with an 18% tip too

Now, for those comparing, to trying to compare to the "drinks package" offered on "other lines" ( cleb, MSC etc) they are nowhere as comprehensive or as generous as O's....... with lots and lots of restrictions, no doubles, no drink over x$ perday limits, limited choice of liquors, ..... that you do not find on O....... even if you dont drink much 2 drinks a day and 2 glasses of wine will set you back over $50-60 !!!

AS I said, I know next to nothing about Oceania.

So, I will be reading these threads. Also, I ordered a brochure. Almost immediately, I received a phone call from Oceania thanking me for my brochure order and asking if I had any questions. Nice and prompt. However, I'm so new I don't even know what to ask.:o

One thing I did notice was that there was a choice of either a beverage package thAT included wine/beer with lunch/dinner or $800 obc.

What?**!! That's just crazy. Of course, $800 is better. Am I missing something here?

Also the rep who called me said that airfare was included, but if I didn't use it there would be a credit applied.

How in the world do you spend all of this credit?:D

Edited by mafig

AS I said, I know next to nothing about Oceania.

So, I will be reading these threads. Also, I ordered a brochure. Almost immediately, I received a phone call from Oceania thanking me for my brochure order and asking if I had any questions. Nice and prompt. However, I'm so new I don't even know what to ask.:o

One thing I did notice was that there was a choice of either a beverage package thAT included wine/beer with lunch/dinner or $800 obc.

What?**!! That's just crazy. Of course, $800 is better. Am I missing something here?

Also the rep who called me said that airfare was included, but if I didn't use it there would be a credit applied.

How in the world do you spend all of this credit?:D

Question....how long is your cruise and to where? Many port days that is intensive ports.. with limited sea days?

I am here to say that the $800 OBC may not be better.... in fact in many cases you will come up short taking it. How in the world would you spend your $800... well bar bill, shore ex, daily tips, etc...it adds up very fast.

I have found after 6 cruises that it is far better to take the drinks package and add $20 a day for the premium. Trust me amigo the $800 looks good but most times is not.Remember your $16-23 a day gratuities comes out of that too !!!

Many wines run $15 to 25 a glass, prem liquor runs 12-15$ a shot, beer at 8$ and anafter dinner sherry or port....$25.... and add 18% to this..

Drinks on O are pricy and pours not over generous. It is very easy on sea days to rack up $100-120+ a day bar bill. per person !!!!... Very easy as the atmosphere is conclusive to more social drinking than normal....

My suggestion is to get a good agent who will book you into one of his "group" sailings where you get comp gratuities included....you WONT get that by booking direct !!!

You need to shop for an agent... or learn a hard lesson that an agent will get you way more than you ever could direct..... be wise do the math

If the cruise you are looking at is part of the O Life Choice deal yes you choose one of the 3 options

Depends on how much you drink & whether drink package works for you

we have 1-2 drinks per day so not a good deal for us

How you spend the OBC can be for the daily Gratuities (if your TA does not provided them), ship's excursions, drinks, in the shops, spa treatments

If the deal is O Life Ultimate you get all 3 of the perks OBC, Excursions, basic drink package

Have a good read here in the forum & on the O website

have questions just ask

enjoy

That out of your 800 comes $16-23 a day pp gratuity 2 pours of bar stock or 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine with 18% tip will set you back another 50-60 per day... On a 14 day cruise, that would easily top $1100.00 !!! far more than the $800.....

All depends, how many sea days, is the cruise port intensive, time of year, to where.... Remember there is a very strong conducive atmosphere to drink more than you might socially be used to.... sea days and tropical climes really encourage your consumption

If you can hold it to 1 cocktail a day and 1 glass of wine per day..then you will breakeven with the $800 OBC... However, from observation, human nature being what it is and the ambiance of the ship may vastly increase your consumption....in fact the ship counts on it. They offer the 800 OBC because they know it will be the seed money to get you to spend more.... and they are not wrong on that....they will get that $800 back and more.....

Edited by Hawaiidan

That out of your 800 comes $16-23 a day pp gratuity 2 pours of bar stock or 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine with 18% tip will set you back another 50-60 per day... On a 14 day cruise, that would easily top $1100.00 !!! far more than the $800.....

All depends, how many sea days, is the cruise port intensive, time of year, to where.... Remember there is a very strong conducive atmosphere to drink more than you might socially be used to.... sea days and tropical climes really encourage your consumption

If you can hold it to 1 cocktail a day and 1 glass of wine per day..then you will breakeven with the $800 OBC... However, from observation, human nature being what it is and the ambiance of the ship may vastly increase your consumption....in fact the ship counts on it. They offer the 800 OBC because they know it will be the seed money to get you to spend more.... and they are not wrong on that....they will get that $800 back and more.....

That's a lot of booze to drink at the bars. You are forgetting the fact that you can take spirits and wine on board to use in your cabin. Also twice during your cruise there is an open bar from 5:45 till 8 pm. Captains welcome party and Oceania Club party. Our last cruise of 17 days was a back to back so we had 4 days of open bars. We can not drink 1100.00 pp in booze, so no deal for us.

I'm another who disagrees with Dan on the package being good value. We did 20 days on Insignia last year and drank as much as we wanted to. Bear in mind that soft drinks and bottled water, both at bars and dining venues and in your cabin fridge are complimentary.

I rarely drink alcohol at lunchtime but OH likes a couple of beers. I enjoy a cocktail before dinner while OH has another beer, then we'll have wine with dinner, usually buying it by the bottle, and sometimes drinks afterwards, not always alcoholic for me. Oceania will store the wine for you, in the European way, if you don't finish the bottle during your meal, then return it to you next time.

When we paid our bill we worked out that we spent $64 between us, way less than the premium package. Sometimes we ate ashore, but we also had several sea days. The package just doesn't work for us.

Complimentary soft drinks, which is standard, is a real saving. I have seen complimentary premium package being offered in the UK but not often. On our upcoming cruise we've chosen to take $1000 OBC rather than the drinks package.

By the way, if you take the air credit in the UK the money comes off the price of your cruise, which is better than getting it as OBC. Don't know if that happens everywhere. Likewise in the UK travel agents rarely give OBC.

If the cruise you are looking at is part of the O Life Choice

If the deal is O Life Ultimate you get all 3 of the perks OBC, Excursions, basic drink package

have questions just ask

enjoy

I am as newby as new can be. I don't know what O Life Choice even is.

We got the dining time drink package plus $1000 credit from a UK cruise booking company on our Riviera cruise in November this year. It is a re positioning cruise, from the Med to Florida so maybe that was to lure us in? It worked! Our first time with Oceania and we are looking forward to it.

Do all cabin categories get free soft drinks in the fridge and in bars?

We think we are going to have to do some shopping on board to get thru our credit in the 14 day trip. Anybody have any shopping tips? I like Clinique products, not much of a make up wearer and don't go mad for watches and jewellery.

Thanks for any help[emoji924][emoji898][emoji288]

If the cruise you are looking at is part of the O Life Choice deal yes you choose one of the 3 options

Depends on how much you drink & whether drink package works for you

we have 1-2 drinks per day so not a good deal for us

How you spend the OBC can be for the daily Gratuities (if your TA does not provided them), ship's excursions, drinks, in the shops, spa treatments

have questions just ask

enjoy

Question....how long is your cruise and to where? Many port days that is intensive ports.. with limited sea days?

I am here to say that the $800 OBC may not be better.... in fact in many cases you will come up short taking it. How in the world would you spend your $800... well bar bill, shore ex, daily tips, etc...it adds up very fast.

I have found after 6 cruises that it is far better to take the drinks package and add $20 a day for the premium. Trust me amigo the $800 looks good but most times is not.Remember your $16-23 a day gratuities comes out of that too !!!

Many wines run $15 to 25 a glass, prem liquor runs 12-15$ a shot, beer at 8$ and anafter dinner sherry or port....$25.... and add 18% to this..

Drinks on O are pricy and pours not over generous. It is very easy on sea days to rack up $100-120+ a day bar bill. per person !!!!... Very easy as the atmosphere is conclusive to more social drinking than normal....

My suggestion is to get a good agent who will book you into one of his "group" sailings where you get comp gratuities included....you WONT get that by booking direct !!!

You need to shop for an agent... or learn a hard lesson that an agent will get you way more than you ever could direct..... be wise do the math

If I take a drinks package I'd still have to pay gratuities and shore excursions anyway, right???

If I take a drinks package I'd still have to pay gratuities and shore excursions anyway, right???

Yes the daily gratuities will be added to your on board account ..if you shop around you may find a travel agent that will give you pre paid gratuities ;)

If you take the OBC the daily gratuities will come off your account first then any spending you did on the ship & if there is a balance owing it will go on your credit card on the last day

We got the dining time drink package plus $1000 credit from a UK cruise booking company on our Riviera cruise in November this year. It is a re positioning cruise, from the Med to Florida so maybe that was to lure us in? It worked! Our first time with Oceania and we are looking forward to it.

Do all cabin categories get free soft drinks in the fridge and in bars?

We think we are going to have to do some shopping on board to get thru our credit in the 14 day trip. Anybody have any shopping tips? I like Clinique products, not much of a make up wearer and don't go mad for watches and jewellery.

Thanks for any help[emoji924][emoji898][emoji288]

all non alcoholic drinks are included with the cruise your cabin will have bottled water & soft drinks

I buy my face creme onboard with the OBC just stock up for the year ;)

We tried some spa treatments this yr now I need another cruise to get more massages

Enjoy the cruise

Edited by LHT28

To the OP, how much do you drink? I think that's what it all comes down to. I see post after post of people who say, "I hardly ever have a drink, the drink package doesn't work out for me" Well duh, Capt Obvious, of course it doesn't. For people who enjoy cocktails and social drinking is part of their lifestyle then the package is a great deal.

To me the bottom line is not how much I'd spend if I didn't have a package, but how much I'll drink if I do. I'd probably not have wine with dinner if paying by the drink, because it's not that important to me, but if it's paid for, then sure, why not.

I will take issue with the assertion that's it's better than other lines packages. Some yes, others no. And it definitely has limitations, if it's on the bar menu, or the Martini menu and the wine list by the glass then it's on the package. They have plenty of alcohol, especially certain whiskeys, on the shelf that are not included, even though they are cheaper than some that are on the menu that you can get with the package.

I'm sure some here will see this as blasphemy, but in my opinion, as a cruiser that cruises Oceania and Celebrity, I think Celebrity has a far superior bar product to Oceania. I'd only be interested in the opinions of those that have actually cruised both lines, not what someone has read or heard from someone else.

Having said that I'd always choose to cruise on Oceania given the option.

all non alcoholic drinks are included with the cruise your cabin will have bottled water & soft drinks

I buy my face creme onboard with the OBC just stock up for the year ;)

We tried some spa treatments this yr now I need another cruise to get more massages

Enjoy the cruise

Thanks LHT28,

I think a stock up on my fave moisturisers and body lotions will work for me.

To me the bottom line is not how much I'd spend if I didn't have a package, but how much I'll drink if I do. I'd probably not have wine with dinner if paying by the drink, because it's not that important to me, but if it's paid for, then sure, why not.

When some people say they do not drink much they truly mean that even if it is free I still only have 1-2 drinks per day usually 1

YMMV