Hidden cost for package

Iamthesea

Sailing on the Mariner out of Miami. If we wait to purchase the Prestige Select Beverage Package onboard, will there be Miami taxes added?

The online cost is $59.95. Not sure if taxes are charged on top of this when booking on the web. :o

So if we wait and book once onboard, the cost should be $419.65 pp for a 7 night cruise. Are there any hidden taxes not mentioned?

Yes, the Marina. :o I called it the Mirabel at dinner tonight. Normally, I say it's the Marena. I cannot get MARINA to stick. :rolleyes:

We will have a little OBC to go towards the package and why we plan to purchase onboard. However, I thought I read a post a while back that stated that if less than 2 miles off the Miami cost, a 7% tax is added to all purchases. May have been all drinks, along with the 18% gratuity, though.

And just to confirm. There is no 18% added to the package...correct?

DH wants us to purchase the packages. I want to buy by the drink.

I'm one who is opposed to the package. Two reasons ...

1. How much will you drink? If you have wine or beer at lunch, something else around the pool in the afternoon, a cocktail or two before dinner...and so on ... then the package pays. (It would not for us.)

2. Are you satisfied with wine by the glass from a somewhat limited selection? Others say the choices are fine, and I'm not in a position to say yea or nay on that score. I do assume they are very drinkable wines!

I myself prefer to bring on my own wine OR order from the wine list. When we had an obscene amount of OBC on a recent cruise I spent much more on a couple of bottles than I ever would have if I were paying for them!

But if there IS a situation where Miami will tax your purchase close to shore, there are other options. (How long does it take the ship to get 2 miles out?)

Bring on 1-2 bottles for your own consumption in your room, then switch to the package. Also, once you buy the package you have to pay daily ... but some people prefer to wait a day or two to do so.

From what I have read, no 18% tax on the package.

Lots of considerations here, not the least of which is the length of your cruise and the number of sea days!

Mura

7 Night cruise, 2 sea days.

Of the ports, we will tour early, relax on ship in afternoon. We have been to all but the new Harvest Caye resort. We may not even get off the ship at all in Roatan and Costa Maya.

When not having a drink package (I's been a while without one, since we have had it included in the price for our last several Celebrity cruises.) we would typically have a pre dinner drink (DH has two), and a glass of wine with dinner. We may throw in a fun drink during the day...maybe 3 for the week.

When having the drink package, we take advantage of it and have a drink whenever we feel like it! :D A Bloody Mary in the morning, a fun drink in the afternoon. Two pre-dinner drinks, and a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. DH will have a Bailey's after dinner.

I think that I can make do without a package. Since DH drinks mostly beer during the day, a glass or two of wine with dinner, and a Bailey's, I think he could also do without. Or he could buy a package and I can buy by the drink.

Harvest Caye - Since the resort is yet to open, I do wonder if drinks will be included on this island if a passenger has the package???:cool:

I'm one who is opposed to the package. Two reasons ...

1. How much will you drink? If you have wine or beer at lunch, something else around the pool in the afternoon, a cocktail or two before dinner...and so on ... then the package pays. (It would not for us.)

2. Are you satisfied with wine by the glass from a somewhat limited selection? Others say the choices are fine, and I'm not in a position to say yea or nay on that score. I do assume they are very drinkable wines!

I myself prefer to bring on my own wine OR order from the wine list. When we had an obscene amount of OBC on a recent cruise I spent much more on a couple of bottles than I ever would have if I were paying for them!

But if there IS a situation where Miami will tax your purchase close to shore, there are other options. (How long does it take the ship to get 2 miles out?)

Bring on 1-2 bottles for your own consumption in your room, then switch to the package. Also, once you buy the package you have to pay daily ... but some people prefer to wait a day or two to do so.

From what I have read, no 18% tax on the package.

Lots of considerations here, not the least of which is the length of your cruise and the number of sea days!

Mura

Tip is in the package price. Decent drinks on O need double pours of the better spirits. For example, at about $15+/shot for El Tessoro Anejo Tequila, two Margaritas (and tip) already exceed the prestige package $60/day.

Wines by the glass leave much to be desired when compared to the flexibility of cocktail choices. However, recently O has poured Shramsberg Mirabelle (best of the sparkling selections), Arboleda Carmenere (Chilean Red) and DonnaFugata (white blend from Sicily). All three are passable.

It sounds to me like hubby can do the package and you don't need to.

But if money is no object, and convenience is a big factor, you could get it as well.

It seems to me that people with more sea days spend more on liquor ... with only 2 sea days on a 7 day cruise, you have to make the decision. (Always bearing in mind that you said you might not leave the ship on at least one of those ports of call.)

No idea about Harvest Caye including drinks!

It's all up to you guys! Where do you want to put your money?

Mura

Afterthought: I don't find the package worth it because (a) I don't want to order my wine by the glass and (b) we don't go to the bars since DH usually orders an orange juice no ice. So I'll have a cocktail from my own supply in our room. But if you want do do the bar scene, then it seems from what everyone else says -- it's a reasonable deal. Only you can decide.

And on a 7 day cruise, the package isn't all that expensive ... whereas on a 21 day cruise, it does add up!

Since it is prorated you might want to just wait and see how you do the first day of sailing. You can always buy it on your second day in the morning. Also, you can think about purchasing a bottle or two of wine while in port to bring onboard the ship and enjoy in your cabin. Don't forget, one of the evenings they will have the captain's party which will include a couple of hours of free drinks. Also beer is around seven dollars a drink, much less expensive than the wine and or mixed cocktails. Since I do not drink much, and my husband drinks vodka on the rocks, we will probably just bring a small bottle of vodka for our cabin. DH can enjoy one or two cocktails while getting ready for dinner. Since neither one of us drink while at home, I don't foresee us drinking that much during our seven day cruise. We will see you on the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by blambition

Yes, the Marina. :o I called it the Mirabel at dinner tonight. Normally, I say it's the Marena. I cannot get MARINA to stick. :rolleyes:

We will have a little OBC to go towards the package and why we plan to purchase onboard. However, I thought I read a post a while back that stated that if less than 2 miles off the Miami cost, a 7% tax is added to all purchases. May have been all drinks, along with the 18% gratuity, though.

And just to confirm. There is no 18% added to the package...correct?

DH wants us to purchase the packages. I want to buy by the drink.

Yes, the post in on the thread on the board titled "Beverage Packages"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51444925&highlight=tax#post51444925

Post 19 Ceebee wrote: "We are cruising on the Marina out of Miami where there is a 7% sales tax applicable to all bar purchases until out of Miami waters about 2 hours later."

So if that is correct (I'm believing it and waiting a few hours to make my purchase) then if you want to buy on board to use OBC you may want to wait for a few hours to save 2x60x7x.07=~$60

As to the value of the package as others have pointed out it depends on your consumption for the 6/7 days. You can bring a bottle on board to enjoy a cocktail on your balcony and there is the Captain's party and Happy Hour (though it can be very busy)

Since it is prorated you might want to just wait and see how you do the first day of sailing. You can always buy it on your second day in the morning.

This is a good suggestion. Avoid the Miami tax and find out if the package will be a good fit.

Yes, the post in on the thread on the board titled "Beverage Packages"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51444925&highlight=tax#post51444925

Post 19 Ceebee wrote: "We are cruising on the Marina out of Miami where there is a 7% sales tax applicable to all bar purchases until out of Miami waters about 2 hours later."

So if that is correct (I'm believing it and waiting a few hours to make my purchase) then if you want to buy on board to use OBC you may want to wait for a few hours to save 2x60x7x.07=~$60

As to the value of the package as others have pointed out it depends on your consumption for the 6/7 days. You can bring a bottle on board to enjoy a cocktail on your balcony and there is the Captain's party and Happy Hour (though it can be very busy)

I don't think you pay the 7% tax if you are buying the drink package. Purchasing a drink absolutely, and drink package no.

I don't think you pay the 7% tax if you are buying the drink package. Purchasing a drink absolutely, and drink package no.

I believe that one pays the tax on the total cost of the package, but then not on each individual drink.

The largest savings associated with the Package is that it pre-covers the per drink gratuity, which is otherwise charged at 18% per cocktail.

This is a good suggestion. Avoid the Miami tax and find out if the package will be a good fit.

The problem with that is that DH and I probably drink more on the first day, than any other. We have to have the "Welcome Aboard" drink, the "Sailaway" drink, the "Welcome to your stateroom" drink, ... And that's all before the pre-dinner drinks. :D

I believe that one pays the tax on the total cost of the package, but then not on each individual drink.

The largest savings associated with the Package is that it pre-covers the per drink gratuity, which is otherwise charged at 18% per cocktail.

I did not realize that there is a normal tax on the advertised beverage Packages. Nothing is mentioned on Oceania's website. That could add $30 or so to the total cost of each package. I tried to do a mock order of the package and cannot find anyplace to purchase it. Perhaps it's too early to book anything for a February cruise???

I guess we will have to wait until we board to figure it all out. Surprise that no one on this forum has had any experience when leaving from Miami.

What time does the ship sail ?

I have never bought a drink before dinner usually busy with unpacking muster drill etc so have no idea if O charges the Florida tax

We usually sail from Miami long before dinner opens

If you are so desperate to save the 7% tax wait until you are out at sea to buy a drink

Upgrade the package later in the evening or the next day

Much ado about nothing ..as usual

JMO

I did not realize that there is a normal tax on the advertised beverage Packages.

The package price is what you pay nothing more

IF there is a tax in the port of Miami then they may add it I would ask before you buy the package how it is calculated or wait until the next day to buy it

It is not the same as the VAT in Brazil & Spain

I thought you were on Oceania in Feb what did you do then ??

The problem with that is that DH and I probably drink more on the first day, than any other. We have to have the "Welcome Aboard" drink, the "Sailaway" drink, the "Welcome to your stateroom" drink, ... And that's all before the pre-dinner drinks. :D

I did not realize that there is a normal tax on the advertised beverage Packages. Nothing is mentioned on Oceania's website. That could add $30 or so to the total cost of each package. I tried to do a mock order of the package and cannot find anyplace to purchase it. Perhaps it's too early to book anything for a February cruise???

I guess we will have to wait until we board to figure it all out. Surprise that no one on this forum has had any experience when leaving from Miami.

You seem to be misunderstanding what he said. The tax he was referring to is the one that might be charged leaving Miami. There is no normal tax.

Although I've left from Miami I've never bought a drink package from there. Most Oceania regulars tend to sail from more international ports than Miami.

I was referring to buying a drink while docked in Miami without the drink package. We have been charged the tax while having a beer with lunch. I really don't think that tax applies to purchasing the packages.

Edited by Oville

Also pretty sure that you can't book the package online, must be done by TA or if you booked direct call Oceania.

I was referring to buying a drink while docked in Miami without the drink package. We have been charged the tax while having a beer with lunch. I really don't think that tax applies to purchasing the packages.

LOL, I honestly don't know how we allow ourselves get tied up in these "tempests in a teapot" dramas.

If the tax on the Beverage Package is any kind of an issue, the best advice that any of us could offer would be to choose a more affordable Cruise.

We love Oceania, but with prices so crazy low elsewhere (I see offers of $299 for 5 night cruises, regularly), it just isn't for everyone.

Why spend time and energy worrying?

LOL, I honestly don't know how we allow ourselves get tied up in these "tempests in a teapot" dramas.

If the tax on the Beverage Package is any kind of an issue, the best advice that any of us could offer would be to choose a more affordable Cruise.

We love Oceania, but with prices so crazy low elsewhere (I see offers of $299 for 5 night cruises, regularly), it just isn't for everyone.

Why spend time and energy worrying?

We'll be on our first Oceania cruise in January and really looking forward to it and will buy the prestige package when we board. No "tempests in a teapot" or worry here. I was just trying to be helpful.:p

Edited by Oville

So you were not talking about Oceania charging you a extra tax then

What was the amount for a beer... an extra 35-40 cents ???

Or are you thinking of the tax & gratuity of 18% they add to the drink?

So you were not talking about Oceania charging you a extra tax then

What was the amount for a beer... an extra 35-40 cents ???

Or are you thinking of the tax & gratuity of 18% they add to the drink?

No obviously it wasn't Oceania. In the case of being in port in Florida and ordering a drink, it is a state/city/county sales tax and I would be shocked if any cruiseline is exempt from collecting it. Maybe some cruise-lines pay the tax out of pocket but.....

Regarding buying a drink package when first boarding, I think the cruiselines have found a way around it. We have done so on a number of occasions but have always gotten a handwritten receipt. The package charge does not show up on our account until day 2 or 3 days into the sailing.

And yes, the tax is peanuts on a drink or a beer, think $.70 on a $10 drink.

Edited by Oville