Turn off water to the house before leaving?

Richjoxyz

Might be a good idea especially if you live somewhere that freezing pipes are a possibility. We have never done it as someone is always here when we're gone to stay with the animals. I don't think they would appreciate that :eek:

You should do it and save on the bills. They will get water elsewhere. HAHA :D:D:D:D

Oh heck yes!!!

About 20 years ago our friend's water connection to the refrigerator broke and they had over a foot of water on the main floor of their house and in the basement. They estimated that it probably burst the day they left. $100,000+ in damage.

I always turn off the water from the well, turn the water heater to vacation mode (in the event we lose heat it won't freeze the water heater and it is electronic ignition.) Also release the pressure on the system by flushing a toilet or running water for a couple of minutes.

If you live in northern climates and cruise in the Winter, leave the furnace on and don't turn it below 60F if you live in an area where sub-zero temps are possible.

Take care,

Mike

We don't turn anything off as one of the daughter either checks on the cats frequently or stays at the house.

What I do that I can't imagine anyone else does is tape the freezer shut. When left alone for extended periods of time I have a cat forgets his manners. He jumps from the top of the fridge to the crows nest above the cabinets. In the process his hind feet kick the freezer door open. We returned from a weekend trip to find defrosted freezer. So now when we leave for overnight the tape is in place. FYI, it is an almost new refrigerator so the seal is good. The monster cat weighs in at almost 20 pounds so he has a powerful kick.

When cruising in the winter we turn off the water, turn down the temperature in the house, unplug unnecessary appliances, tape shut the fridge and freezer (just to be sure), and turn off all lights but our one front hall light.

One thing to remember - we have a PVR in our cable box (we can set it so it records our favourite TV programs). The first trip after we got it, we unplugged everything and of course, it didn't record anything. Now we know - unplug the TV, computer, etc. but not the cable box!

Always cut ours off, and the hot water heater too. You'll love your electric bill the next month.icon14.gif

I have a friend whose upstairs hot water heater recently busted while he was at work. It's a good investment to replace dated water heaters before they need replacing. My friend has been dealing with contractors and subcontractors for over 3 months now and they're still not finished repairing the damage that busted hot water heater did to his house while he was at work that one day. I'm thankful my hot water heater is in my garage.

I've been on over 30 cruises and I've never turned off the water. The only thing I ever do when I cruise is unplug my small appliances. I just make sure my homeowner's insurance is paid up before I go on vacation. Lol.

We don't turn anything off as one of the daughter either checks on the cats frequently or stays at the house.

What I do that I can't imagine anyone else does is tape the freezer shut. When left alone for extended periods of time I have a cat forgets his manners. He jumps from the top of the fridge to the crows nest above the cabinets. In the process his hind feet kick the freezer door open. We returned from a weekend trip to find defrosted freezer. So now when we leave for overnight the tape is in place. FYI, it is an almost new refrigerator so the seal is good. The monster cat weighs in at almost 20 pounds so he has a powerful kick.

It's understandable the cat weighs almost 20 lbs. since he's mastered opening the frig and freezer. Lolol. That's hilarious!

As we were getting ready to leave on the last cruise, my DW was getting into the vehicle in the garage and said "Wait, I forgot to unplug the washer".

She went back into the house, unplugged the washer and dryer, and turned off the water lines to the washer as I waited for her in the garage.

Imagine my "glee" when we returned home 7 days later and found that she didn't unplug the dryer... She unplugged the washer AND OUR FREEZER!

I spent the rest of my vacation cleaning out and disposing of a freezer load of spoiled meat and then trying to eliminate the stomach-wrenching smells that went along with it.

Yay me...