Are they using real ginger beer, or ginger ale?

Something tells me those cheapos at NCL are probably using ginger ale out of the soda gun for Moscow Mules and anything else with supposed "ginger beer" in it.Is my cynicism on this topic misplaced?

Ginger ale doesn't taste anything like ginger beer to me. Some bars had it in the gun and some had it in a can. It is a soda, so it can be found in the soda gun.

They have ginger beer in cans. But they also have ginger ale. A bad bartender (or a bartender following bad instructions from whoever) may use ginger ale in a cocktail that calls for ginger beer, but the drink menus clearly state that the Moscow Mule and Dark & Stormy are made with ginger beer, so you should insist on that.

Something tells me those cheapos at NCL are probably using ginger ale out of the soda gun for Moscow Mules and anything else with supposed "ginger beer" in it.Is my cynicism on this topic misplaced?

Oh no, I don't think your cynicism is misplaced at all. :rolleyes:

It is perfectly normal for a person to be sitting at home and have that "something" pop into your head with "Hey...I'll bet NCL just uses ginger ale in place of ginger beer to save money. Man...they are really cheap! I'm going to just have to post THIS on Cruise Critic! They aren't pulling one over on me! :mad:"

Happens all the time.

Something tells me those cheapos at NCL are probably using ginger ale out of the soda gun for Moscow Mules and anything else with supposed "ginger beer" in it. Is my cynicism on this topic misplaced?

If you are so negative about NCL why don't you cruise another line? Your post isn't the first one you made like this and most likely won't be the last unfortunately.

happytotravel

Oh no, I don't think your cynicism is misplaced at all. :rolleyes:It is perfectly normal for a person to be sitting at home and have that "something" pop into your head with "Hey...I'll bet NCL just uses ginger ale in place of ginger beer to save money. Man...they are really cheap! I'm going to just have to post THIS on Cruise Critic! They aren't pulling one over on me! :mad:"

Happens all the time.

And what sort of divine muse inspires you to post on these (NCL cruise themed) message boards and share with us your pearls of wisdom?

You're generally not very happy with NCL are you?

There are many things I like about NCL. I love that they sail year round out of my hometown NYC, and I love that they're far more willing to drop the solo supplement than other lines.

What I don't like is distinctly tasting/noticing/seeing cheapness. To NCL's credit, it sounds like they're doing right by their customers here and really using ginger beer.

Greetings

In December they were using Ginger Beer on Getaway but they have raised the price on Dark and Stormys so that they are above the package limit. You have to pay a "overage" if you order one. I don't remember the exact amount, but I paid it many times. I believe that Moscow Mules were still within the limit.

Good Sailing

Tom

In December they were using Ginger Beer on Getaway but they have raised the price on Dark and Stormys so that they are above the package limit. You have to pay a "overage" if you order one. I don't remember the exact amount, but I paid it many times. I believe that Moscow Mules were still within the limit.
On another thread someone who was told by the Hotel Director or Food & Bev Manager to get around this by ordering a Moscow Mule and asking for it to be made with dark rum (other than Gosling's). Apparently the bartenders were unable/unwilling to substitute a cheaper rum in a Dark & Stormy, but they were happy to replace the vodka in a Moscow Mule. :confused:

And what sort of divine muse inspires you to post on these (NCL cruise themed) message boards and share with us your pearls of wisdom?

Ahhhh...I see what you did. You made it about my motivation instead of addressing the motivation behind the conspiracy theory. Very clever. Bless your heart.

Something tells me those cheapos at NCL are probably using ginger ale out of the soda gun for Moscow Mules and anything else with supposed "ginger beer" in it.

Is my cynicism on this topic misplaced?

They were made correctly in the Haven on the Epic when we were there on our NYE cruise.

Ahhhh...I see what you did. You made it about my motivation instead of addressing the motivation behind the conspiracy theory. Very clever. Bless your heart.

Well you seemed to suggest this is a silly topic for a thread, so I was curious as to the type of profound issues you like to raise at the Algonquin Round Table that is Cruise Critic.

And a nice big fat "bless you" right back at ya', honey. <3

Well you seemed to suggest this is a silly topic for a thread, so I was curious as to the type of profound issues you like to raise at the Algonquin Round Table that is Cruise Critic.

And a nice big fat "bless you" right back at ya', honey. <3

Anytime you wish to see the topics people raise on CC all you have to do is open their "threads started" list. Easy peasy.

Anytime you wish to see the topics people raise on CC all you have to do is open their "threads started" list. Easy peasy.

You call me a conspiracy theorist, and yet here you are kvetching about NCL possibly getting rid of the buffet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2107970

Bless you indeed.

You call me a conspiracy theorist, and yet here you are kvetching about NCL possibly getting rid of the buffet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2107970

Bless you indeed.

Boy you must really be desperate to cast some shade...the post you reference was about P&O Cruises getting rid of the buffet...not NCL. The following discussion was about people's ideas (pro and con) on how the concept would fit in NCL's business plan.

Nobody claimed NCL was getting rid of the buffet, or even considering such a move.

Not even close to making up the idea that someone would use ginger ale in place of ginger beer because they were cheap.

Nice try though.

ProTip: Order a Myers and ginger beer, not a Dark and Stormy. The bartender says to me, "You want a Dark and Stormy?" I said, "No, a Dark and Stormy is 10 bucks more. Give me a Myers and ginger beer." He laughed and asked if I wanted a lime with that. $8.50