PUerto Rico -- Virgin Islands......no cruise ships....

sail7seas

San Juan has suffered so much damage, as has St. Thomas, those two very busy ports, along with St Marten cannot have cruise ships until who knows when. While a crippling blow to their economny and lives, Also a huge loss to cruise ships.. Lots of ships, fewer ports to call at. I cannot imagine how badly this will hit the cruise lines for some years to come.. Evven if San Juan can get the port and terminals ready for ships,All that made that port so good IMO will ttake a good long time to repair, rebuild, replace. This has devasttated what I always tthought of as a ffavorite Carib ean porrt.. So many great restaurants, architecture, small shops, hotels,, parks.......... I have heard nothing about the forts but have to think they survived.

San Juan has suffered so much damage, as has St. Thomas, those two very busy ports, along with St Marten cannot have cruise ships until who knows when. While a crippling blow to their economny and lives, Also a huge loss to cruise ships.. Lots of ships, fewer ports to call at. I cannot imagine how badly this will hit the cruise lines for some years to come.. Evven if San Juan can get the port and terminals ready for ships,All that made that port so good IMO will ttake a good long time to repair, rebuild, replace. This has devasttated what I always tthought of as a ffavorite Carib ean porrt.. So many great restaurants, architecture, small shops, hotels,, parks.......... I have heard nothing about the forts but have to think they survived.

I've been thinking about the forts, too. They were built to withstand canon fire, so I'm hopeful that they survived. But remembering my walks around the city, a lot of buildings were small and did not have strong walls. As these islands rebuild there will be a delicate balance between zoning/construction rules and the charm of "Caribbean architecture."

Both heartbreaking and devastating what has just happened in the Caribbean. It will take years to rebuild these islands. We were extremely lucky, minor damage and no power for 3 days.

I expect the cruise ships will have a lot of sea days on this season's Caribbean cruises. We are booked on the Eurodam in Nov; ports of call include Turks, St Maarten and San Juan.

Both heartbreaking and devastating what has just happened in the Caribbean. It will take years to rebuild these islands. We were extremely lucky, minor damage and no power for 3 days.

I expect the cruise ships will have a lot of sea days on this season's Caribbean cruises. We are booked on the Eurodam in Nov; ports of call include Turks, St Maarten and San Juan.

Good news yor rode out the storm so well and happy you did not suffer badly.

Eurod dam's itinerary seems a bit iffy now but maybe they'll add in a day or two at HMC? Bahamas were not as devastated this time and reports are HMC is okay.

It seems likely there will be lots of relaxing days at sea this coming Caribbean cruise season. there are worst things that can happen...... worst being what happened to those people who live and work on these islands. Puerto rifco may no havve powser restored for four months or more. I cannot imagine how to manage that. They neeed so much help, so mcuh aid f or so long. i hope our leaders will see to it they get what is possible to provide..

Two out of the three are going to be unavailable. Grand Turk is questionable--depends on what happens with Maria. Last map I saw did not put the center of the hurricane over the Turks and Caicos, but they're still in the area covered by this monster.

I think Sail is right. With so many ports damaged, itineraries are likely to have more sea days. I hope that this extra time to sail from port to port--whatever ports they're able to visit--can be used to provide longer stays in those ports. As ships have been slowing speeds to use less fuel (not just HAL, they all do it), we've seen shortened times in port. Maybe this year we'll get fewer ports but more time in each?

I somehow think the cruise lines will survive just fine as will those of us lucky enough to be able to cruise. Now the island residents-that's a totally different situation. I just heard that Puerto Rico has no power and may not have power for several months. Then there is St. Martins,St. Thomas , St. John's etc.. -such devastation. They may take a very long time to recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I somehow think the cruise lines will survive just fine as will those of us lucky enough to be able to cruise. Now the island residents-that's a totally different situation. I just heard that Puerto Rico has no power and may not have power for several months. Then there is St. Martins,St. Thomas , St. John's etc.. -such devastation. They may take a very long time to recover.

I fully agree the cruise lines will surrvive and very good pointt a bout sailing zt speeeds they used to sail. I used to tease. We sailed the Caribbean so many times, I noticed how much less time we had in ports and I used to ask......... Did they move the islands? How did we get form Point A to Point B on same ship "x nuumber of hours and now it takes so much longer? Which islands did they move and keep it secret? :D Some Officers would laugh when I asked.......... some did not. :D

Edited by sail7seas

Two out of the three are going to be unavailable. Grand Turk is questionable--depends on what happens with Maria. Last map I saw did not put the center of the hurricane over the Turks and Caicos, but they're still in the area covered by this monster.

I think Sail is right. With so many ports damaged, itineraries are likely to have more sea days. I hope that this extra time to sail from port to port--whatever ports they're able to visit--can be used to provide longer stays in those ports. As ships have been slowing speeds to use less fuel (not just HAL, they all do it), we've seen shortened times in port. Maybe this year we'll get fewer ports but more time in each?

None of us likely KNOW but I suspect there will be lots of itinerary changes coming ott in a few months. We may find some interesting combinations we've not seen before......... A BC islands remained untouched as often is the case but seing San Juan is not useful for embarkation port now that doesn't help. Forget abouut Caracas given the current politics fin Venezuela. I was thinking Dominican Republic but it is under the attack of Hurricane Maria, today.

Thank you for saying that. Our hearts break for all the people who are suffering from this disaster, the people who have lost so much, both in the Caribbean and in Mexico.

Thank you for saying that. Our hearts break for all the people who are suffering from this disaster, the people who have lost so much, both in the Caribbean and in Mexico.

Anyone know which countires are actively assisting in relief and aid? I've n ot heard of many or, enough, iMO..

Relief and aid is bountiful by certain countries.

Since the Caribbean is still under hurricanes, relief can't all be sent in right away but I do know that Canada and the UK were sending people before Hurrican Maria arrived.

For Mexico - Canada is sending help, Peru is helping, El Salvador is sending in experienced people with earthquakes, Ecuador is sending in people and dogs experienced in finding people in earthquakes and Chile is sending in it's Topos group - highly specialized people with earthquakes.

I hope there will be more. These are only the ones I have read about in the news.

Everyone can help with donations. Every bit counts ;)

Relief and aid is bountiful by certain countries.

Since the Caribbean is still under hurricanes, relief can't all be sent in right away but I do know that Canada and the UK were sending people before Hurricane Maria arrived.

For Mexico - Canada is sending help, Peru is helping, El Salvador is sending in experienced people with earthquakes, Ecuador is sending in people and dogs experienced in finding people in earthquakes and Chile is sending in it's Topos group - highly specialized people with earthquakes.

I hope there will be more. These are only the ones I have read about in the news.

Yes, they need money but that is only a token measure, they need human hands.

Interesting, I had not hard a bout Peru,, Chile or Ecuador being physically on the ground. . That is why I asked. It is easy to s end money and it is cetrainly needed but these islands need boots on the ground, delivery of food, watter, medicattions, medical care, and help restoring power, getting building supplies delivered and people ab le to start repairs and =rebuilding.. This is a sittuation that will require many years of asstance, They need emergency shelters, where are they to sleep, profesionals to keep the peace....

My guess is you will see a replacement of St. Thomas/St Martin with maybe ABC stops.. or they can add the Grenadines/St Vincent.. St Kitts will probably get a big boost in traffic... Before Maria i figured it would be an easy swap with St Croix and St. Thomas/BVI.. and mb St Kitts and St Martin but now with a lot more islands out of the picture i suspect the Southern Islands and Southern Eastern Islands will get the most of the averted traffic..

I am on the January 3rd Koningsdam... Itinerary was St. Martin/St Lucia/Barbados/Martinique/Antigua/St Thomas/HMC... Now I think we lose St Martin, St. Thomas.. I think it ends up one of following ways

1. St Lucia/Barbados/St Vincent/Martinique/Antigua/Bahamas/HMC

2. Aruba/Bonaire/Barbados/Martinique/St. Lucia/Antigua/HMC

3. St. Kitts/St. Lucia/Barbados/St.Vincent/Martinique/Antigua/HMC <------- This would be my ideal cruise

My guess is you will see a replacement of St. Thomas/St Martin with maybe ABC stops.. or they can add the Grenadines/St Vincent.. St Kitts will probably get a big boost in traffic... Before Maria i figured it would be an easy swap with St Croix and St. Thomas/BVI.. and mb St Kitts and St Martin but now with a lot more islands out of the picture i suspect the Southern Islands and Southern Eastern Islands will get the most of the averted traffic..

I am on the January 3rd Koningsdam... Itinerary was St. Martin/St Lucia/Barbados/Martinique/Antigua/St Thomas/HMC... Now I think we lose St Martin, St. Thomas.. I think it ends up one of following ways

3. St. Kitts/St. Lucia/Barbados/St.Vincent/Martinique/Antigua/HMC <------- This would be my ideal cruise

I vote for option 2 - and might very well take the Nieuw Amsterdam in Jan that does ABC, Grand Turk & HMC.

3. St. Kitts/St. Lucia/Barbados/St.Vincent/Martinique/Antigua/HMC <------- This would be my ideal rt Martininuqe S l. Lucia and Antigua also got hit but I don't know how badly damaged.

My guess is you will see a replacement of St. Thomas/St Martin with maybe ABC stops.. or they can add the Grenadines/St Vincent.. St Kitts will probably get a big boost in traffic... Before Maria i figured it would be an easy swap with St Croix and St. Thomas/BVI.. and mb St Kitts and St Martin but now with a lot more islands out of the picture i suspect the Southern Islands and Southern Eastern Islands will get the most of the averted traffic. . Sorry but St. Croix is a mess.

The down side to the southern islands is where do ftthey ermbark and disembark? Witth San Juan and that airport ouut of serrvice for the f forseeable near future,it's a ptroblem. FLL and Miami,,,,,, takes too long to sail to ABC's and back. Few cruisers will be fast to pay the airfares to fly to aruba, Curacao or bonaire and boarrd there. Many will not consider those airfares I hope no one suggests Jamaica, any where in jamaica for consideration. too many of us are adverse. i'd nevver cruise again if I had to not only visit there but board in Jamaica? No way. JMO

Edited by sail7seas

I am pretty sure thats an 11 day cruise so they could make the southern islands in 2 days and still get most of the stops.. The problem is the 7 day cruises that hit the northeastern Islands like st. martin and then have to get back.. it limits the stops and i would suspect those turn into western or cuba trips... The 10 to 11 day trips i suspect go southern and some of the eastern islands..

just heard U.S. coast Guard is bring ing in millions of bottles of wate rt o Puerto Rico. , U..S. Army ha s troops on the ground andd hummbee vehicles likely with food. Keep in mind Puerto Rico was bankrupt before these hurricanes and powersystem was in poor condition.

It's heartbreaking. Such extensive damage I wonder how all these islands will ever recover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some of you are missing the big picture. All of those Southern island are not set up for many ships line St. Thomas, StMartin and even San Juan are. Most of those ports can only handle 2 ships and even if you tendered in the port and the island is not set up to handle that many people.

Cruise lines are going to have to be very creative this season.

That is so true. Cash donations, not donations of "stuff". The purchasing power of the various rescue and relief agencies is much greater than the the average citizen's purchasing power.

One only needs to spend a few minutes of Googling to find relief agencies working in these areas, both formal and grass-roots, and another few minutes of due diligence to satisfy oneself about how reliable the agencies are.

I think some of you are missing the big picture. All of those Southern island are not set up for many ships line St. Thomas, StMartin and even San Juan are. Most of those ports can only handle 2 ships and even if you tendered in the port and the island is not set up to handle that many people.

You either are not aware or have forgotten the special standing HAL has with the Dutch A B C islands. Based upon my peffsonal observationtions through many visits to those islands on HAL ships , I would suggest, if they can and will handle two ships on a gfven day, there is every chance HAL may have a prererable top of the list position.

With all due respect, I don't think that how many ships an undamaged port can accommodate is really "the big picture", given the enormity of loss facing the people who live in the damaged ports. JMHO/YMMV

With all due respect, I don't think that how many ships an undamaged port can accommodate is really "the big picture", given the enormity of loss facing the people who live in the damaged ports. JMHO/YMMV

Totally agree. It is somewhat unseemly to be speculating so soon. It's a fluid situation rolling out more challenges day by day.