Sea conditions

richard crate

Sailing in March from Sydney To loop around New Zealand. Read somewhere about very rough seas like 30 to 40 ft waves. I’m hoping this is not typical

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately the sea will do what it will do.

No one can tell you for sure, 40 foot would be unusual, but some rough seas wouldn’t.

It's pretty common in those seas, but the crew know to expect it and handle it very well. On 3 our of 4 trips, we've encountered the rough seas - twice with 25-30 foot swells, the 3rd time with 40 foot, even a 104 mph wind gust at one point that caused the ship to list a little until it could be brought around. If you're prone to sea-sickness, bring whatever meds your doctor recommends and make sure to use common sense onboard (forget the high heels!). Follow any crew instructions about keeping off outside decks or, in worst cases, being confined to rooms (that's never happened to us). You'll survive and have some new stories to tell when you get home.

The biggest problem for us in rough seas has been when they happen at night - clanging hangers in the closet and cabin doors and drawers that bang open and shut kept us awake. We eventually learned that a small roll of duct tape solves those problems and enjoyed being rock to sleep.

Thank you all for the posts “I think”. I’m going with the hope for the best plan for the worst

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the key.

Be sure to bring with you a remedy or remedies should the seas get rough to prevent sea sickness.

In our case we book a room mid deck.

We also find should the seas become rough during the day that sitting in a venue that has a tall ceiling that is mid deck and on a lower deck helps as well.

It's a wonderful part of the world to sail.

Keith